Menu

How do you hs with a baby?

The title kid of says it all. How do you hs, when you have a newborn in the house? James Bond decided to have a vasectomy and 2 days ago I discovered that I'm pregnant. We're in complete shock. I'm thinking I must be about 5-6 weeks along (we'll find out next week) which would put me due around mid-April (or mid-March if it's anything like Indy). We'll probably move our time off around to give us a few weeks off around then, but how do you hs with a baby????? I'm feeling a little overwhelmed right now!

With a baby - easy. You hold them, snuggle them, nurse them and they are happy as clams while you teach the other.

Now with a toddler - that's a different story! :eek: But you've got plenty of time before you have to worry about that!

Congratulations! I know you're shocked (Bud just had a vas this year, and it would blow us away!), but I'll bet this baby will be the light of your lives! Enjoy the ride!

I began homeschooling Aaron (my step son) a month before I gave birth to Nathan and almost a year after I married his dad.

A year later, I was pregnant with Ben.

I have no idea how I did it. LOL He had been in public school through the third grade and used to doing a lot independently. If I had to do it all over again, I would have read more to him on the sofa while holding the baby.

I just know we got through it and so will you. :)

I probably should have pushed for a cleaning service though, because I am fanatical about my house being clean, and that stressed me out. I think overall I was way meaner than I should have been to everyone. ugh

Newborns are pretty easy. You can nurse and snuggle a newborn while you read aloud and even while you teach. A sling is a must, or at least it was for me. Homeschooling is flexible enough that you can sleep in or nap in the afternoon if you need to, and your older child is old enough that you can build in some independent work time into your day.

Congratulations! It will work out just fine. :) and :grouphug:

Cat

Isn't life just funny? Congrats on the baby!

My youngest was around 1 1/2 when we started hsing. I just strapped her on my back and went about my business. Now that she's three, things are more.....interesting. You will survive.

With a baby - easy. You hold them, snuggle them, nurse them and they are happy as clams while you teach the other.

Now with a toddler - that's a different story! :eek: But you've got plenty of time before you have to worry about that!

Congratulations! I know you're shocked (Bud just had a vas this year, and it would blow us away!), but I'll bet this baby will be the light of your lives! Enjoy the ride!

:iagree: I was tired with a new baby, but that I can deal with. Now at age 3 my dd is much more difficult - loud, demanding, needs brothers attention, in to everything, etc.

When dd was a baby, I did a larger variety of activities with ds. If I really needed to spend time with baby (or catching a nap) he played educational computer games or was allowed educational videos. If I could tell eary on that it was going to be a tough day then I would do all of my teaching at once, then have him do written assignments as homework later.

Congrats! How exciting!

I'm expecting a new arrival soon and my other kids are 16, 9, 8, and 6, so it's been awhile since I had a baby or toddler around.

I'm expecting the baby stage to be easy, since he'll just sleep and nurse a lot. I remember with my current 6 yr old, that ages 1 and 2 were hard. He was mobile early and into everything, so I don't know what we'll do this time. By 3, he was happy to join in for school things and would sit for short periods, so I found from 3 on not to be a problem.

It will all work out!

You find a way, really. This is my second time doing it.

You can wear the baby or do lessons that need your instruction and hands on activities during naps. While you are tending to the baby, if the kids are old enough, you can have them do their independent work while you are close by to be available for questions and oversight.

If you have something to read to the kids, I do this a lot for literature, I read to them while I'm nursing.

If your baby is a good sleeper, it's really not bad at all. My most current baby is a sleeper, so things are going better than I expected.

The previous baby was a "don't you dare put me down" baby, he made things a bit more challenging, especially since that was our first year and my kids were 5 and 6 and not able to do anything independently.

Congratulations! What a blessing!

We had our 4th during May, 5 years ago, and BOY was I stressed out thinking ahead. Turns out, it was nothing to worry about :D.

If I were you, I would just stop doing any school in April, and not resume until I was good and ready. That's what we did - I stopped everything in early May, and didn't pick up anything serious again until around October (when dd4 started sleeping through the night...finally...:tongue_smilie:).

The pps advice about nursing/holding baby alot while teaching is good too, but stressing about planning out lessons and such before she slept through the night would've made me one cranky mom. Of course, we all still read alot together, even while not doing any "official" schoolwork. That's easy to do with an infant! :001_smile: HTH.

Actually I think the question is how do you stay in high heels while pregnant? :tongue_smilie:

LOL! I did it with Indy! I pushed his stroller in heels too. Very stylish. :lol:

I guess my concern is because Indy was so tiny (he was a preemie) he required CONSTANT feeding and I was exhausted. After the first few weeks though it wasn't that bad, so I guess we could just hold off on school until I get myself together. Indy was (and still is) a champion sleeper, so I'm hoping this one will be too. At 3 months Indy slept through the night (8pm-8am) and took 2 naps a day 10-12 and 2-4. Do you think I could get that lucky twice???? That would give us plenty of time to do some schooling.

Congratulations!

Tbh.. I've given myself a 3 month break to start with and taken things real slow. A cleaning service sure helps if you can afford it. But I agree with a few of the other posts.. pop the bubba in a sling and do as normal.. complete with your high heels! :D

At 3 months Indy slept through the night (8pm-8am) and took 2 naps a day 10-12 and 2-4. Do you think I could get that lucky twice???? That would give us plenty of time to do some schooling.

Sounds wonderful - I hope you do get that second time around!

Now with a toddler - that's a different story! :eek:

:iagree:

I had a baby last July and I just couldn't get it together enough to ever start with homeschooling. If I had to, I could have, but dd was just k age and we didn't have to report to the state yet, so we just took the year off and enjoyed the baby. Or at least the best we could since he spent his first year of life crying!

Congrats on the baby. Enjoy as much time as you can with him. :001_smile:

LOL, isn't that the truth? But it all gets done. :lol: Congratulations, btw!

First of all congratulations...

second of all, having been in your (high heeled) shoes more than once, I'll share something I've learned....

you will find a way. Somehow it works out and you will manage. The most important things will get done and you will find enough energy to do it.

I've done it and so have lots of other people.

Trust me.

This was exactly what I was going to post!

We were fine homeschooling with a baby in the house.

Homeschooling with a toddler is the tough part--but still possible!

Try to work ahead between now and then--and you'll be able to afford to be more flexible when those days arrive.

Congrats!!:001_smile: