Menu

Leg pain with broken ankle question- not where break is

A few weeks ago, I fell down a few steps and broke my fibula in my ankle area. I have a semi-walking cast. Now I am having pain in a different area- around the back of my knee and right below it in the calf and right above it in the thigh. It hurts some in the day but it really bad at night when I try to go to sleep. It feels like my muscles have contracted but this really doesn;t make sense. I have broken this same leg two other times in my adult life and never had this pain. I am not swollen, the cast is not too tight, my toes are fine just this pain under my knee and surrounding leg. I am thinking that maybe this has to do with something in the nervous system simply because the pain is so much worse at night and from having prior nerve problems with impingement, that was what that was like. It isn't my bone that is painful. Any thoughts?

It sounds to me like it *could* simply be discomfort from the unfamiliar motions involved in using a walking cast.

I had unexpected pains and discomforts in my CAM walker. My hip pain was attributed by my newly-uneven leg lengths, and the arthritis in my knee (on the affected leg) was aggravated by a lack of any assistance from my lower leg, and the weight of the boot.

It sounds to me like it *could* simply be discomfort from the unfamiliar motions involved in using a walking cast.

I had unexpected pains and discomforts in my CAM walker. My hip pain was attributed by my newly-uneven leg lengths, and the arthritis in my knee (on the affected leg) was aggravated by a lack of any assistance from my lower leg, and the weight of the boot.

I have to agree. I had a similar experience but without a walking cast - I was non-weight bearing for 8 weeks. :glare:

I had terrific pain at night when I was in bed and I think it was everything around the cast reacting to different dynamics from the cast during the day......does that make sense?

Edited by MariannNOVA

I have to agree. I had a similar experience but without a walking cast - I was non-weight bearing for 8 weeks. :glare:

I had terrific pain at night when I was in bed and I think it was everything around the cast reacting to different dynamics from the cast during the day......does that make sense?

I sprained my ankle/foot and wore an aircast for weeks. I'm STILL having pain, and especially night time pain. The osteopath told me yesterday I was not having pain at night. :confused:

I have had pain behind my knee and the back of my leg that comes and goes. It will get better.

I sprained my ankle/foot and wore an aircast for weeks. I'm STILL having pain, and especially night time pain. The osteopath told me yesterday I was not having pain at night. :confused:

I have had pain behind my knee and the back of my leg that comes and goes. It will get better.

:confused: I knew you were having difficulty with left and right since your visit to DC. Are you getting your days and nights confused as well?

Actually, I am just confused as to why the osteo said that.:confused:

OK. I think I would have just about come unglued on him. How the heck does he know what is happening to you at night?You will be going to a different osteopath after this, right??

:confused: I knew you were having difficulty with left and right since your visit to DC. Are you getting your days and nights confused as well?

Actually, I am just confused as to why the osteo said that.:confused:

The dr is a complete jerk with no manners. I almost walked out the first time I met him. BUT, he did get rid of a LOT of my pain. He told me I had a jammed foot and toes and that's why I had such severe pain. He sees my injury all the time with pitchers and they can't stand at ALL.

So in DC when I reinjured myself and my ankle was HUGE, I decided I'd go back to see him. He did his thing again and I feel good, but I do have pain at night that awakes me out of a sleep. He told me I don't. :cursing:

He is also the third doctor now who told me I'd never be the same again. He said my ligaments have healed in their stretched out position because I waited too long to be seen. Well, I did see a dr 2 weeks after the initial injury. A week later I went to the ER, the orthopaedic 4 days later, who made me feel like I was wasting her time.

And I'm SO upset because of my memory issues! Apparently the Ligaplex came before we went to DC and I packed it in my bag. I didn't see it there, and today I was searching Amazon, only to find out it shipped I had it. I placed the order on the 9th! Dh tore the house apart and found it in my book bag I brought to DC. I didn't use it because I didn't read in DC. I completely forgot about it. :banghead: I will be starting it tonight.

I'm out of the air cast and now have a doodad that I'll be wearing indefinitely. Now to find some ugly shoes that it will fit in.:cursing::banghead::leaving:

Edited by Denisemomof4

OK. I think I would have just about come unglued on him. How the heck does he know what is happening to you at night?You will be going to a different osteopath after this, right??

he was a jerk and I did put him in his place. Something I almost never do. I don't think I'll be returning to anyone at this point because 4 doctors have told me there's nothing they can do. :glare: