Menu

Please say hi here if ps is NOT an option

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:seeya:

I only wish that I had known sooner! We pulled dd14 out of ps at the end of 6th grade, and ds10 from ps at the end of 2nd grade. I wish I had started from the beginning, and I'm thrilled I get the chance to do so with dd6.

I've learned to never say never, but I cannot imagine sending them back to ps. We are in it for the long haul, and it is a non-negotiable.

Ds17 is in a special education class in the ps, and then we afterschool with an ABA program for 5 hours in the afternoon. His autism and the related behaviors are pretty severe, which is the only thing keeping me from pulling him. He needs constant one-on-one structure than I couldn't provide while also teaching everyone else. So for now, it seems to be our best option...I'm able to focus on the others while he is away, and then structure his day upon his return. For now it is working.

DS has a serious ana. allergy to peanuts and soy - he reacts to the slightest trace of residue on tables, toys, hands, etc. So PS is certainly NOT an option for us!

That said, we LOVE HSing and are really really happy that we were forced to consider this option. It fits our family and our DS perfectly. :D

At this point, I plan to homeschool the entire way through, but I have a friend who was more adament than I am about hsing all the way through and has just put her oldest in ps high school. It was a total shock to me, but it has again taught me that you never know.....

So, maybe I shouldnt' have even posted, but as of TODAY I plan to not put them in ps.

Dawn

When my kids were your kids' ages, I would have said "hi." :)

Then my kids tried school for 8 weeks (well, one only went 6, if that, of those).

And we've considered it a few other times, even semi-recently.

But one is grown and the other almost so I can't imagine we'll change now.

We did always PLAN to homeschool all the way and I'm glad it's turned out that way :)

Edited by 2J5M9K

I know there was another thread kind of like this, but this one is not for a discussion. I was just wanting to get a feel for those who think that ps is not an option. I know never say never and all that. I just want to know who, right now in their heart of hearts, would not consider ps unless some unforseen horrible situation came up. I am not judging people that have thought that and done otherwise or anything like that. I just want to see which people have the same mindest as I do right now. thanks!!!

ETA: this is my first year and already I know its what we were meant to do. We have made the decision to continue for as long as possible and to never put our boys in ps.

PS is not an option here. When I started 19 years ago, I had three kids and I don't really know what my intentions were. I was thinking of taking it year by year, but I didn't have a long-term vision in my head either.

Some days are hard, some days are REALLY HARD, but those kinds of days happen no matter what you do. It's been great and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I have learned to never say never...but in the same sentence....Hi!!!!!!

Exactly. I would have considered it a few months ago, esp with dd2, but since we started recently she is drinking it up and demanding more. I wasn't even going to try and school her yet but she will NOT be left out! Not while she has breath left in her body, lol. I just have to keep up! And her big sis is a visual learner, picks up things instantly, HATES workbooks & repetition, and just learns in a way that would not be accommodated in most schools. They would mostly be there for a social experience, not to learn, and that's just silly IMO. And I hate the huge emphasis on testing & teaching the test instead of emphasizing learning!!!!! At the moment, I definitely plan on HSing as long as possible. They can be in karate or something to socialize :tongue_smilie:.

been-there-done-that and want do it again and I really pray that I have started a new tradition for my family that my grand and great grand and-on-on future generation will choose to stand apart and not do the PS system. I do believe in Christian schools as an alternative to home school but see no redeeming values being taught or experience in the secular school environment.

Hey Hey...from a mom that had her kids in PS, who just started homeschooling in FEB....Nope, not going back...I will make the changes needed to keep my kids out of that situation for as long as I most possibly can! What ever the challenges we face, or the situations that come about...we will homeschool as long as we are able!! So HI HI HI!!! :)

PS is not an option! I will try my darndest to make HS work - I'm on the waitlist for work-from-home, so once I get that, things will be golden. If I don't, then DD will go to a local montessori (goes to 6th grade) that's 20 min one way in the wrong direction.

We are so set on never sending the kids to public school that we have life insurance on ME with the sole purpose of it being used to hire someone (possibly a live in since our current house has an "in law" set up) to tutor/homeschool the kids.

DH of course has enough life insurance (plus retirement and social security that I and each of the kids would be entitled to) that I would not have to return to work so that I could continue to homeschool the kids. We'd still have to live just as frugally as now, but I am grateful that I would not have to make that tough decision to return to work.