Menu

Please say hi here if ps is NOT an option

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Cindie2dds

Never an option here. :seeya:

School isn't an option, period, not just ps. We are committed through high school, always have been.

Edited by Cindie2dds

Guest Dulcimeramy
Not an option--ever. My dd or bf will finish youngest ds's homeschooling if I'm unable. I wouldn't send my dead dog to ps. (JMO)

I was surprised at the vehemence of this response...until I glanced at your location and saw that you live in my town. LOL I agree 100%.

If I die, my DH will move near homeschooling relatives or hire a tutor or find a decent private school or something, but public school is not an option.

God willing, my kids will be homeschooling with me until they leave for college !
DS20 went to a public school for college. DD17 just went to a private school for college, but she had already completed about two years' worth of college by exam before finishing high school at home.

Given our current situation, it would be VERY unlikely that any of our five other children would go to a public school before they finish high school. Of course, no one knows what the future will bring.

us

We've been homeschooling since 1997 and will be till the 2 yo is grown! If I died, my dh would use my life insurance to stay home and keep homeschooling them. If he died, we would continue homeschooling. Pretty much the only way I would put them in school is if we were living in a foreign country for a time, so they would learn the language. But in that case, I would just consider school to be an extension of our homeschooling! :D

:seeya:

We always thought that high school would be a possibility as our kids got older. We are now on the edge looking into the high school years, and our dd13 has requested that we not consider it but did ask us to look into dual enrollment starting her junior year. Our dd12 has already asked how old she has to be to start taking science classes at the community college.

We will now only consider gov't school if we live overseas and have to opportunity to send them for language/ cultural education and even then it would have to be an amazing school for us to even consider it.

I know never say never and all that. I just want to know who, right now in their heart of hearts, would not consider ps unless some unforseen horrible situation came up.

:iagree: However, if kiddo is a responsible teen and can give me good reasons for it, I will give him a large say in it.

My eldest was in PS until 4th grade. He has been at home since, and is in 11th grade. PS is not an option now for us with him or the other kids. Maybe because I've experienced it, I never feel my kids are missing out on anything, and hsing is definitely best for our family. Dh feels the same way, which I can imagine makes a big difference.

Hi!

I have two kids for whom school has been absolutely toxic -- physically and emotionally.

I don't know what we would do if homeschooling were no longer an option. But I pray that that will never be the case.

So from where I stand now, ps is *not* an option for them.

Another of my kids is in college. And the fourth -- he's always been homeschooled and says he always wants to be. I wouldn't rule out a good private school, which we don't have near us right now. But ps is not an option for him, either. If it's not broken...

Edited by Maverick_Mom

Hi!

For me, public school is the last option and since we can't afford private schools, that means we intend to homeschool all the way through. I'll never say never, since ultimately, we feel that God is in control and He will lead us to make the right educational choices for our children, but I will say that our intention is to homeschool until the kids graduate.

I've been a staunch, idealogical homeschooler for 11 years. PS was not an option. Until I had no choice.

These situations and decisions are complicated. Never assume.

I do think that the homeschool community needs a "role" or model of someone encouraging them to not think of "public school" as the default solution.

that's when we decided to homeschool. After those experiences we never ever considered anything else. We would ask kids if they wanted to go to school but they had enough friends for them to say no way. They have now graduated and I have finally seen my work to fruition which I must say looks pretty darn good, even counting the times when I was worried I wasn't teaching them what they needed. The only homeschooling that I didn't do myself was several courses that they took at CC and one on-line course for foreign language. When we said we were going to homeschool we meant we. I did not pull my kids out of school to have someone else teach them. I may not be able to teach certain subjects perfectly and may be weak in them but I've always found a curriculum that can help strengthen my back.

We can't public school--our D is a senior this year and this summer when she was lonely she asked about "maybe" going back to public school for her final year, as some of her acquaintances are still there....

Well, when I spoke to the guidance counselor she told me that D would have to go back to being a junior and repeat a grade--this, despite the fact that my D had completed 5 college classes!!!! The h/s guidance counselor said they would not accept the college classes (given here at the local comm coll) despite the fact that the h/s students at the ps take the very same classes AND get h/s credit for them.

Upon hearing that, my D said "no way" and has never looked back.

:iagree:

We do allow our high school children to attend band or orchestra and college distance ed classes at the high school. This usually has amounted to 3 classes per semester which is half a day every other day. Not to bad and a nice way to do your first college classes. We feel the boys get a feel for the workload while living at home with support and watching over.

We are very set against Ps. our local schools, though rural, are terrible for violence, etc. So, we hope we have all the bases covered. We have enough life insurance in DH that I could continue to be a stay at home mom and homeschool until the youngest graduates. There is enough insurance on both of us that dd would be able to finish college but also hire tutors and with the help of dear friends of ours, homeschool her brothers while finishing her education. We even have the families lined up and in agreement that they are willing to see it through with our troops. Our pastor and his wife are also on board with helping and they are homeschoolers as well.

So, for the foreseeable circumstances, we appear to have it covered.

Faith