Menu

The End and the Means

As many of you know, I sent my children to PS this week. DS is 12, DD is 10, and this is their first time in a school. So I've been reading many of the posts today with interest.

At the end of one week, we won't be continuing PS for my 10 year old, but my 12 year old will be continuing in PS. Middle School. :eek:

I came here a week ago without any desire to homeschool my children this year. This is what I have realized this week:

I never set out with the goal to be a "champion homeschooler". Neither did most of the really great homeschoolers I know who have graduated amazing students after homeschooling All The Way. They set out with the goal to give each of their children the best chance they could to become well-educated, excellent human beings who bring glory to God by the lives that they live.

Until now, homeschooling was a key part of achieving that for my son.

This week I sent he and his sister into PS and promptly went home and threw up. I've lost four pounds this week. It was not what I had ever envisioned we would do. But in only one week I've seen a light brighten in my son that had been slowly dimming.

I realized that much of the angst I had about homeschooling wasn't really about me being burnt out, it was basically coming from the fact that my really awesome son was not thriving with homeschooling.

His sister however, has not had a good week, and I realized the mistake I made in trying to lump them together. She IS thriving as a homeschooled child, and I want to preserve that. So she will be staying home this year.

So what seemed like too much of a job has grown into the job of fulltime homeschooler by day, PS homework checker, PTO volunteer and soccer/orchestra/theater mom by evening. I just bought myself a lot MORE work :lol:! And I am so happy and at peace and looking forward to what we have ahead of us.

I hope, because I really dig being around my son, that the needs he has will be met in PS very quickly and he will return to homeschooling soon. But if he doesn't, and I miss out on the title of "homeschooling champion" I will know that we have put his needs first and that is okay with me.

Edited by Amy loves Bud

As many of you know, I sent my children to PS this week. DS is 12, DD is 10, and this is their first time in a school. So I've been reading many of the posts today with interest.

At the end of one week, we won't be continuing PS for my 10 year old, but my 12 year old will be continuing in PS. Middle School. :eek:

I came here a week ago without any desire to homeschool my children this year. This is what I have realized this week:

I never set out with the goal to be a "champion homeschooler". Neither did most of the really great homeschoolers I know who have graduated amazing students after homeschooling All The Way. They set out with the goal to give each of their children the best chance they could to become well-educated, excellent human beings who bring glory to God by the lives that they live.

Until now, homeschooling was a key part of achieving that for my son.

This week I sent he and his sister into PS and promptly went home and threw up. I've lost four pounds this week. It was not what I had ever envisioned we would do. But in only one week I've seen a light brighten in my son that had been slowly dimming.

I realized that much of the angst I had about homeschooling wasn't really about me being burnt out, it was basically coming from the fact that my really awesome son was not thriving with homeschooling.

His sister however, has not had a good week, and I realized the mistake I made in trying to lump them together. She IS thriving as a homeschooled child, and I want to preserve that. So she will be staying home this year.

So what seemed like too much of a job has grown into the job of fulltime homeschooler by day, PS homework checker, PTO volunteer and soccer/orchestra/theater mom by evening. I just bought myself a lot MORE work :lol:! And I am so happy and at peace and looking forward to what we have ahead of us.

I hope, because I really dig being around my son, that the needs he has will be met in PS very quickly and he will return to homeschooling soon. But if he doesn't, and I miss out on the title of "homeschooling champion" I will know that we have put his needs first and that is okay with me.

:grouphug:

This is wonderful to read. We are a mixed schooling family, too. My DS goes back for his sophomore year next week while the high schooler and middler are home. Last year, I would practically RUN to the car to go get my DS.

And you do buy yourself a lot more work! When DS went to school (a very high performing college prep school) I quickly learned that he needed some skills that he didn't have. Part (most? all?) of it was my homeschooling style and I had to help him learn how "school" worked.

Best wishes, Amy! You're awesome!

WAAAAAYYYY better to be a mom who puts her child's needs first than a "homeschooling champion."

Thanks for sharing.

My thoughts exactly. I get a lot of odd looks when I say that DS is homeschooled and DD isn't, especially from other homeschooling families, but it works, and they're learning, and they like it the way it is, so that is what matters :)

Pretty similar situation here. My DS went to 8th grade this year at a ps - and is loving it. Our relationship has improved as well.

Whereas my DS who is 1 year younger has absolutely no interest going to ps and will continue to homeschool.

So far it has been working out quite well - much better than I thought it would.

Amy, I'm pretty much in the same boat here...one kid going back to a private school this year and the rest home. The one going back is the one I envisioned staying home forever and one of the boys staying home is one I'd imagined would best thrive in a private school environment. Boy, was I wrong on both counts!

A good mom does what is best for her individual children rather than forcing them to fit some sort of mold, homeschooling or not. Lots of prayer and angst went into this decision and I'm sure that right now it is truly what is best for my individual kids. Should that change in the future, we'll adjust again.

You are a champion mom!

Amy, you are a champion in that you are determining thoughtfully what is the right path for each of your individual children. Good for you!

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I also admire you for knowing when to make a change, and acting on it immediately, instead of forcing your dd to "stick it out" in ps, when you know in your heart that it's best for her to be home.

Cat

HS/ing give us the opportunity to give each of our dc the best education for each one individually. I started with only ds#1 home, leaving dd & ds#2 in PS & kindy for the first 18 months. It was really tough, juggling 3 different school situations (kindy isn't part of PS here.) Now, after 8 years of HS/ing, ds#2 wants to go to PS for highschool next year. I'm not ready to let go, but have come to realize this week that HS/ing can't be about or for me. I need to look at each dc & give them the style of schooling that they need at that time. Ds#1 went to polytech this year & has thrived. We continue to afterschool in his areas of need, but by his choice. Last year it was like pulling teeth to get any reasonable amount of schoolwork done.

You're doing a great job. Sometimes letting go a bit actually brings them closer. I handed in the enrollment form for Boys High on friday. Ds#2 won't begin until February, but already I'm grieving a bit for the end of our HS/ing. I need to get through this & see the opportunities it opens up for me. Plus, I'll always be his Mom ;)

Blessings,

what a SPECIAL post. You are such a good mom!!! My hat off to you.

It will be hard having one child in school and one homeshooled. I spend too much time carting the girls around when the boys when to school. I wasn't home enough for them. Other years we couldn't leave because I was caring for my ailing parents. This year I believe I will have the perfect balance.

You'll find your groove with this, too, and both your kids will thrive. Good job, Mom!:thumbup:

HS/ing give us the opportunity to give each of our dc the best education for each one individually. I started with only ds#1 home, leaving dd & ds#2 in PS & kindy for the first 18 months. It was really tough, juggling 3 different school situations (kindy isn't part of PS here.) Now, after 8 years of HS/ing, ds#2 wants to go to PS for highschool next year. I'm not ready to let go, but have come to realize this week that HS/ing can't be about or for me. I need to look at each dc & give them the style of schooling that they need at that time. Ds#1 went to polytech this year & has thrived. We continue to afterschool in his areas of need, but by his choice. Last year it was like pulling teeth to get any reasonable amount of schoolwork done.

You're doing a great job. Sometimes letting go a bit actually brings them closer. I handed in the enrollment form for Boys High on friday. Ds#2 won't begin until February, but already I'm grieving a bit for the end of our HS/ing. I need to get through this & see the opportunities it opens up for me. Plus, I'll always be his Mom ;)

Blessings,

:grouphug:

What a testament to you that your older son wants to afterschool on top of his other academics!