Menu

Anyone use and LIKE Sonlight LA w/ readers (the updated version)?

CactusPair

Looking for opinions on the **updated** version of Sonlight LA.

We'd be using LA 2 w/ advanced readers.

I'm wondering if their "natural" approach might be more effective for her. She doesn't retain the rules like I wish she would w/ our current approach, but she loves to write.

So sock it to me, the good, bad, and ugly.

thanks!

We tried Sonlight LA4 for ds a couple years ago. I don't know if it's changed since then. I really liked the concept and wanted it to work. The writing assignments looked fun and creative. I liked the idea that it was tied into what was being read. However, I need more help for instruction than what it gave me and I didn't like the bouncing around of different topics. Topics where presented or introduced. Mastery is not necessarily expected because you will hit it again later. LA is not my strong point. We now use R&S and MCT and last year we did IEW which was a big help to us in the composition department. Many people, however, do like the Sonlight LA and do well. It just wasn't for us.

My little guy is using SL LA2 w/ adv readers. We just finished week 5. We are using the optional Plaid Phonics D. He are using Create Cursive instead of one of the SL choices.

I like the copywork/ dictation, the book schedule, and the application work on the activity sheet. Ds already knows the spelling rules/ words that are included. He hasn't missed a word yet, so we haven't really used that portion, but it makes for a nice oral discussion on Mondays. I don't use the composition portion.

We are using SL alongside MCT Island level. I view SL as our reading that includes phonics review and a little bit of LA to help flesh it out. MCT is our grammar, poetry, vocabulary, and composition. Thus far (only 5 weeks out of 36) I am happy with this combo.

HTH-

Mandy

I'm wondering if their "natural" approach might be more effective for her. She doesn't retain the rules like I wish she would w/ our current approach, but she loves to write.

So sock it to me, the good, bad, and ugly.

thanks!

I think the early years of SL LA works well for natural writers.

I like the spelling lists (they don't really tell you what to *do* with the spelling lists... we copy on day 1, alphabetize on day 2, pre-test on day 3, and test on day 4.). The copywork is good. We copy on day 1 and again on day 2, and then try with dictation on day 3 (and again on day 4 if needed). I like that the copywork is connected to the readers.

I didn't see the age of your child/children, but I will say that some of the readers are a bit difficult. They're definitely not 2nd grade readers. The Whipping Boy is a good example. It's short, and the chapters are short, so it looks easy. But the language is really advanced, the story is a bit confusing, and my daughter had a very hard time with it. We moved on to Shadrach, which is a sweet story. That's much easier to read, but the chapters (and the daily reading assignments) are extremely long. So, take a look at the books on the list, maybe check a few out from the library if you haven't bought it yet, and see if your child can handle them. I think some of them are harder than the Core 3 readers (and it's intended to be that way by SL for families who are combining a need a Core 2 reading list for 3-5th grade).

Once we get to 4th grade, I like IEW better for language arts & writing, but I do like SL until they can handle IEW.

We've used both the old and new versions of different levels. If she likes to write, she probably will like this new version. It has dictation scheduled only once a week now (it was twice in the old version) and there is a little more scheduled creative type writing than in the older version. No memorization of rules.

When my DD does any type of creative writing the final product seems to show more of my creativity than hers. DS used 5 years of SL LA, but I'm switching DD to something different this year. I want a little more dictation/copywork and we will hit the rules a little harder this year.

I used SL LA 2 Adv (2009 version) for 12 weeks before returning it. My dd was in 3rd grade and is a very strong reader. Here was my experience.

It had daily spelling practice. In Week 1, it tells you exactly how to do spelling and gives lots of ideas for what to do each week for variety. The words were too easy for my dd. I would quiz her on the words at the beginning of the week, and she usually got all of them right. Sometimes, I'd have her write the words on the driveway with sidewalk chalk for fun. Sometimes, I'd have her try to write sentences using as many spelling words as possible.

We used the MCT Plaid D word study book, but eventually, I dropped that, too. It was a good workbook, but it was still a workbook, and it got to be too much drudgery for dd. The pages were long and dense, and the amount of writing was too much for her.

The schedule has spaces for checking off handwriting and vocab, but you use your own handwriting program. The vocab words come from the read-alouds and are given in the core IG study guides.

Creative Expression: This is the meat of their LA program. We had copywork once a week. The selections were very long, compared to WWE. I'm too lazy to type one out, but here's a link to the sample pages. The copywork that they have in the sample are slightly shorter than what we saw most weeks.

On Day 2, there was a short worksheet exercise. Day 3 usually had a pre-writing activity, and Day 4 was the actual creative writing assignment. I skipped Day 5 assignments. They were meant to be fun exercises for the children.

I think this program would work well for someone who loves writing creatively, and who is comfortable teaching writing. I'm not that person. I detest coming up with creative stories, and I need lots of hand-holding. I also wanted grammar and vocab to be taught more explicitly. The natural learning method seemed too loosey-goosey for me.

Also, I have noticed that SL LA seems to assume that your child's writing ability is ahead of heir reading ability. in SL LA 1, children are writing out 1-2 sentences, while they are still learning to read CVC words. That was a poor fit for my children. They are more likely to be reading chapter books while they struggle to write their own names clearly.

Edited by bonniebeth4

Creative Expression: This is the meat of their LA program. We had copywork once a week.

This is exactly why I much prefer their old LA program. Copywork/dictation was twice a week and the sheet with phonics/grammar instruction was twice a week. The assignment for creative expression was separate, (scheduled once a week) and could be easily skipped if you desired. With the updated version creative expression is a much larger chunk of the program.

You have all given me much to mull over this week! I so appreciate the thoughtful responses. Very helpful. SL LA would be a big leap for me, as I am a traditionalist, so I need to really think about it.

My dd is 8, going on 9, and will be in the third grade. I chose the Core 2 w/ adv. readers specifically bec. I thought they would appeal to her interests. Thanks very much for the heads up about the reading level. It's good to be aware that they're challenging before just jumping in. She couldn't have handled that last year, for sure.

We've done all the traditional stuff: ETC, WWE, traditional spelling. She hates ETC and will not finish out the series like my ds did so proudly. She just slops through it and copies the words incorrectly on "accident, " I guess.

She does fine on spelling tests, but when I find her independent writing (she writes secret stories in notebooks) they're full of horrible, astonishing mistakes. I never correct these bec. I want her to keep writing, flourishing and enjoying herself. And I don't want her to know that I'm peeking.;)

She tolerates WWE, but doesn't love it. She doesn't seem to take away base knowledge from it the way my ds does. He's naturally organized;dd decidedly is not (takes after her father!;)).

Still, it puzzles me that she doesn't remember the rules that we've gone over and over. Capitalizing the first letter of a sentence, the pronoun I, etc. Periods are haphazard when she writes. Um, we've been learning this a looong time....

Over the summer she's been surprising me with questions about using hypens, parentheses, etc., though. I think she wants to stick these in her notebook stories.

I never in a million years would have considered SL LA before, but I started to think **maybe** she'd benefit from something "loosey goosey". I want to encourage her efforts (subtlely). I admit that this method sets my teeth on edge, though! I'm concerned that it could be disastrous!

Conncecting the stories that she actually reading to the LA might pique her interest and help her retain better. She enjoys the passages in WWE during the moment, but the lessons remain ultimately abstract to her.

IDK, I have to really think this over. Thanks so much for all your help!

Edited by CactusPair

I am using SL LA this year.

I tried SL LA K in 2006 before it was recreated. I did NOT like it and did not complete it with that child.

I am using LA 1 with Readers 1 for my first grade daughter.

I love it.

The reading instruction is exactly what I was looking for and she is finally, finally retaining.

I use the spelling lightly and the creative expression lightly.

What really surprised me was LA 6. I had attempted to use some of Alt 7 and then Core 6 this year- and the LA 6 comes with the Alt 7 Core. I used some of this with my son and would have kept using it- but we had to return the Core. I loved LA 6. I was so surprised. I did not expect to like it as much as I did. I feel that SL language arts is the tool I need to accomplish my LA goals.

I also use other resources for LA. We use WWE and Building Spelling Skills and also Spelling Wisdom- although the dictation in LA 6 was really lovely- and I might have considered alternating some of the passages with our Spelling Wisdom dictation. I also use Rod and Staff for Grammar. However, I started with Wordly Wise this year- (for my 5th grader) and I also love this and think it is a great resource.

Next year, I am planning on moving two of my sons into LA 3 and moving on to the next level with my daughter.

I think SL LA is a "philosophy" thing. If it fits and agrees with your personal philosophy- you will like it. Otherwise it might be frustrating.

For me,

I really, really, really like the rewrite.

Rebecca

I think SL LA for writing is fine, though I may change my mind as we go along. However, we use A Beka for grammer. Many people complain about how tedious it is but this is our 2nd year using it and dd is retaining what she is learning AND applying it to her work. They focus on capitalization and punctuation in 1st grade and the first 40 lessons in 2nd-that is as far as we have gotten this year. I have seen that for 3rd grade they start on nouns, etc... To get the best of both worlds we are using SL and A Beka.

**I will say that we used BJU for a few weeks and I really liked it but dd needs something gentler. They were working on subjects and predicates in the second week.

...but when I find her independent writing (she writes secret stories in notebooks) they're full of horrible, astonishing mistakes...Still, it puzzles me that she doesn't remember the rules that we've gone over and over. Capitalizing the first letter of a sentence, the pronoun I, etc. Periods are haphazard when she writes. Um, we've been learning this a looong time....

I had these same issues with my ds. We started used Daily Grams and he did really well with it. It showed in his personal writing (I was peeking, too!) and in his schoolwork. It is a quick and easy way to review daily these concepts. Just a thought!

BTW...I, too, am struggling with what to use with my dd. She does not really need formal LA as of yet, but we did review the SL LA K, and we are now using Queen's LL for Little Ones, Volume 1. She likes it, but after years of picking and choosing, I am so ready for a boxed curriculum that is not textbooks! I was hoping to like SL LA and SL Science but so far, not really on either one. Oh well, only so much one can do!

It does seem that a lot of people are supplementing their supplements with LA. I don't know how there is time for everything that some have listed??!! I struggled with only my ds to "get everything done" and cannot imagine using 3-4 programs for LA in addition to all of the other subjects, plus outside activities, and I only had ONE child hsing! I am seriously revamping my hsing ideas for this next one!

Sorry to go so OT! :confused:

I would like to comment on the free writing children do on their own time.

I think I read or heard Susan W. Bauer say not to correct free writing that children do on their own time and to always be very positive...etc.

I agree with this 100%.

I would like to say this:

1.) any weakness that is showing up in free writing (such as spelling) can reveal an area that needs reinforcing in school work- however- it should not be looked upon as "shocking" that it is appearing in free writing.

2.) Free writing, journaling, and creative "on your own" writing is a very different thought process/action than writing for school- in that writing- your child is "letting down their hair" so to speak- and just letting their creative juices flow- thoughts of punctuation, grammar, etc. are not on the forefront of the process that is occurring in that time- and their thought process could be FAR above what their level is in spelling, grammar, etc.

3.) I believe spelling, grammar, dictation, etc. should continue on grade- level instruction and eventually their minds will catch up with their level and it will show in their free writing. This has actually proven true with my now two oldest children who had horrible spelling, etc. in their young "free" writing.

4.) I guess my point is:just because errors are occurring in creative free writing- does not mean the programs are not working. Consider that your child's free writing- especially if they have been regularly exposed to quality literature and narration is far above their actual mechanical writing skills.

I would just continue with the chosen programs and "trust" that you will see fruit and the two levels (comprehension and mechanics) begin to line up more completely.

As a writer, you are encouraged- to just write- and edit later. It is the "birth of the idea" that is so very important. This is not to say- that horrible grammatical errors and spelling errors are acceptable- but why should that approach be any different for a young vibrant minded child- than a college student- just because their mechanical instruction is so much lower?

I do not think that errors in free, presonal writing are going to keep a child from progressing in their skills in school work. I believe they will naturally begin to cross those skills over into their free writing and I have seen it in my family and expect to see it even more.

If writing becomes a burden- they will not write. ( I am not saying you are making it a burden! I am just sharing my own heart on this issue).

My "two cents",

Rebecca

Rebecca, you offer some poignant insights.

Perhaps I am making too much of the errors I see in the notebooks?

Perhaps I should just stay the course (minus the ETC and maybe adding in Daily Grams)????

I'm guility, too, of comparing my ds and dd, who have different styles of learning and processing. He's a notebook writer, too, but a natural speller, etc.

Thanks very much for the valuable 2 cents!

And to the other poster who suggested Daily Grams: that is a good idea! I had forgotten about those!