Menu

How to help her get better at subtraction?

Mommy22alyns

We use Right Start and CLE for math. When Becca does the speed drills in CLE, she regularly gets all of them correct when it's an addition drill. However, she regularly fails to finish all the problems in 2 minutes when it's a subtraction drill. How can we work on her subtraction skills and improve her speed?

If she understands the subtraction concepts than I might just print off a subtraction math page (mathusee.com or math-drills.com) and have her do a row or two per day until she gets more comfortable with them. She could also do drill on the computer for 5 minutes per day until she gets more comfortable with the problems.

We use Right Start and CLE for math. When Becca does the speed drills in CLE, she regularly gets all of them correct when it's an addition drill. However, she regularly fails to finish all the problems in 2 minutes when it's a subtraction drill. How can we work on her subtraction skills and improve her speed?

We had the same problem with CLE Math. My son just doesn't "get" subtraction the way he gets addition. I do two things...1. I do flash cards first and encourage him to count up or down depending on the size of the bottom number (above 4, we count UP to the top number; 4 and under, we count down from the top number to the bottom number and see how many are in between). I also started using Singapore 1A recently along with our HOD guides and I have realized that "seeing" it is really perfect for him. He is catching on now in a way he didn't before. CLE has a real "drill and kill" method sometimes and HOD with Singapore is a very gently, hands on approach. That is what is working for my son, anyway.

Does she get the subtraction problems correct? If so, the speed will come with time.

Did she recently complete RightStart B? If so, then she's spent a lot more time learning and practicing addition than subtraction so far, so it makes sense that she'd be faster at addition.

Hi Amber,

I can sympathize with your daughter! I had a hard time with math too.

As someone for whom math did not come easily, I am trying to expose my kids to the math facts in as many different ways as I can.

some ideas if you have money to spend:

they have math board games that the kids can play to practice addition and subtraction (they have them at rainbow resources, and amazon too)

we have some math software which is like a game that the kids play for fun (they sell these on Amazon, and also at Staples)

free activities:

I had my kids sit on the floor with 10 toys, my son had to shut his eyes and my daughter would take away a certain number of toys, then my son would have to look at how many were left and say how many she had taken.

we made paper pretend money with construction paper, and played store. (I did this once with them, and then they just start doing it all by themselves.)

we bought flash cards and made flash cards ourselves with stencils. (just to practice the facts even as we wrote them out).

I am sure you will have your own ideas-just using objects around the house to do counting and taking away-and then they don't even realize they are learning and math becomes fun and more natural.

I am even starting to enjoy it too.

All the best to you,

Jenny

Edited by just Jenny

My ds is the same way. He is in CLE 206 right now. I've started timing how long it takes him to finish the whole drill and he's trying to improve that time. I feel that he quickly realized he wasn't getting the subtraction as fast and was freezing up and stressing over it.

I'm just going to keep trying and not worry if he is slower in subtraction. He has started borrowing with subtraction, so I think his memory will improve since he will be using it in other areas of math.

Does she get the subtraction problems correct? If so, the speed will come with time.

Did she recently complete RightStart B? If so, then she's spent a lot more time learning and practicing addition than subtraction so far, so it makes sense that she'd be faster at addition.

Yes, she gets them correct, it just takes her longer. And she did just recently complete RS B.