Menu

Keeping kids old school work?

Clearing out the school stuff, re-organizing, it is taking FOREVER....

So, how much of old school work do you keep? It is easier to just toss the old notebooks in a box and into the attic, but then it seems like I will have a big mess to sort through years from now. What to do????

I was keeping everyone's everything but over the summer I spoke with a mom who streamlined her dd's belongings to include ONLY what is required by law (I'm sure each state varies). She gave me a copy of the list of required paperwork and I spent some time weeding through the last few years of "everything". I do keep extra artwork b/c I just can't part with it yet but worksheets and handwriting practice went in the trash other than a few samples.

Oh and I keep it all in a 3 ring binder (3"). My friend has a senior this year and she is only on her second 3 ring binder for that child. Each of my children has their own binder that I keep and store their required papers in.

Would you be willing to post that list? New Jersey doesn't have any laws regarding that - woo-hoo! - but then I get in a twist deciding what to keep and what to throw away. I don't HAVE to keep anything, but then we'd have nothing to show for all MY hard work and sacrifice :D!

J

This came from her accountability group but are the minimum requirements for the state.

History 1 assignment & 1 test per month

English

literature 1 assignment & 1 test per month

composition 1 assignment & 1 test per month

1 essay (expository, narrative, persuasive, opinion) integrated with history, literature, science, math.

Math 1 assign. & 1 test per month

Science 1 assign. & 1 test per month

foreign language 1 assign. & 1 test per month

Computer science 1 assign. & 1 test per month

Elective (for highschool) 1 assign. & 1 test per month

PE keep log

Hope that helps!! I'm with you, I want some auditor to come see just how much effort I put into all this!! lol Throwing it away seems crazy but it is VERY freeing. :)

Gee, I was just copying without thinking. I could have just said keep 1 test and 1 assignment per month for every subject. lol

Edited by Wyndie
laughing at myself

Gee, I was just copying without thinking. I could have just said keep 1 test and 1 assignment per month for every subject. lol

I think this is a fair guideline. It shows progression through the year, which is what you would want to document.

I will add that you should not just include final drafts of writing assignments. Showing a progression in writing would include drafts from beginning of writing assignment to the end (final draft).

Now having said that, I can fill a 3" binder every year with each child doing something very similar to the above. And I don't do tests in most subjects.

Would you be willing to post that list? New Jersey doesn't have any laws regarding that - woo-hoo! - but then I get in a twist deciding what to keep and what to throw away. I don't HAVE to keep anything, but then we'd have nothing to show for all MY hard work and sacrifice :D!

J

I'm in the same position. Don't have to keep anything but.....

I am thinking of just getting rid of everything from before this year since a lot of it was kind of random as we were getting a feel for what worked/didn't work. We changed direction a few times. For this year (and future I think) I plan to have the kids put together notebooks for some topics (History, Geography, Science, Music, Art) that will be nice for them to look at but I'm not sure about the reading and math stuff.