Menu

South Carolina Question ?

We are planning to go visit South Carolina to camp in the new year 2011 and I was wondering what time of year is best to visit for good ocean swimming weather.

We are from PA and I am not sure what the ocean temps are like during February, March, April or May at Mytle Beach South Carolina.

I wanted to try to go when it is less crowded but still has nice beach weather for swimming.

Also, what are the best campgrounds to stay at near Myrtle Beach ? We will be using a pop up camper.

Any advice you can give me on good swimming/beach weather and nice camp ground advice would be so appreciated !

THe state parks are great. Huntington Beach outside of Mrytle Beach is a nice campground. Locals who have lived here forever would find April cold in regards to water temp. Non-locals will say it's great. Canadians often swim here from March all the way through to October while we shiver on the beach in sweaters :D It really depends on temps in Feb. A warm Feb will give decent water temp in March. Warmer March and it will be fine. June/july/August a lot of times the water is like bath water near the shore. SOmetimes too hot to cool off in until later in the day.

HTH!

sometimes we go to the beach in March, sometimes April. It's always iffy then. Out of the last three years, we had two that were really pleasant air temperature and one that was too cold to enjoy the beach. It's typically windier on the beach, so if the air temp is cold, you really feel it. I would say that for ME, it's always too cold to really swim in March or April. It gets better in May, but I still think the ocean temperature is on the cold side. My kids enjoy it, though. We were at Hilton Head the first week in May and it was absolutely lovely this year.

I really like September at the beach. The water is all warmed, the crowds are gone, and the air temperatures are warm but not as warm as July.

February? No way. Not if you are there for the beach and the water. If you are there to golf, it could be fine. Tennis, great. Swim? Typically it's really just not warm enough.

I find September and even early October to be nice. I'm a wimp about cold water, so I wouldn't even think about it before May. Late May is nice. Also, I don't know if Myrtle Beach being slightly north is cooler than the beaches I visit near Charleston.

On the other hand, I've done the polar bear plunge on Jan 1, and it was cold, but not as cold as the streams in the mountains of North Carolina in the hottest part of summer. We swam around feeling chilly, but it wasn't unbearable. We had to make the kids get out of the water because their lips were turning purple, lol. So I guess it depends on what sort of warmth you're used to and what the weather is like. Our winters can be variable. Sometimes we'll have weeks with highs in the 70's, and other days it's down in the 40's.

We are planning to go visit South Carolina to camp in the new year 2011 and I was wondering what time of year is best to visit for good ocean swimming weather.

We are from PA and I am not sure what the ocean temps are like during February, March, April or May at Mytle Beach South Carolina.

I wanted to try to go when it is less crowded but still has nice beach weather for swimming.

Also, what are the best campgrounds to stay at near Myrtle Beach ? We will be using a pop up camper.

Any advice you can give me on good swimming/beach weather and nice camp ground advice would be so appreciated !

I'll have to ask my sisters, but all I can say is, "Take me!" :lol: I'm a Charlestonian in PA!

sometimes we go to the beach in March, sometimes April. It's always iffy then. Out of the last three years, we had two that were really pleasant air temperature and one that was too cold to enjoy the beach. It's typically windier on the beach, so if the air temp is cold, you really feel it. I would say that for ME, it's always too cold to really swim in March or April. It gets better in May, but I still think the ocean temperature is on the cold side. My kids enjoy it, though. We were at Hilton Head the first week in May and it was absolutely lovely this year.

I really like September at the beach. The water is all warmed, the crowds are gone, and the air temperatures are warm but not as warm as July.

February? No way. Not if you are there for the beach and the water. If you are there to golf, it could be fine. Tennis, great. Swim? Typically it's really just not warm enough.

:iagree:

You can go mid May to avoid crowds, but unless you are a biker, you might want to check on bike week at Myrtle Beach and avoid it!

May will still be chilly in the ocean, and most of the water parks, if not all, will be closed during the week. There is a huge campground in Myrtle Beach called Ocean Lakes. I've never been there, but I'm pretty sure someone on here, (Mama T?) goes yearly.

If you want to swim and play, Myrtle Beach has the most "stuff." If you want educational activities, then Charleston is the place to visit.