Menu

Another pet thread - dog advice needed

After reading about the cat this morning and the cocker puppy this afternoon, I have to post my own pet-related question.

We have a ten year old cocker spaniel. She has been a great dog with no health issues until now.

As she has gotten older, she has developed a very bad incontinence issue. She is still housetrained - meaning that she will go to the bathroom outside when we let her out, and she will ask to go out when she is awake (she has never done the excitement peeing that cockers are known for). The problem is that she leaks when she is asleep. It started as just a little amount. She would wake up and there would be a small dot or two of urine where she slept. Now, however, she pees so much while she sleeps that her whole back end is soaked as well as the carpet. UGH! We take her out a lot during the day to keep her bladder as empty as possible, and we put a doggie diaper on her at night - but there are still daytime accidents, and she leaks through the diaper.

Does anyone have any advice for us? Please suggest things that we can do ourselves as opposed to medications or vet-related fixes.

TIA.

take a trip to the vet and they will get you some meds. It is fairly common in older spayed dogs. I had one for years. Hormone replacement does do a good job. I did not have much luck with Phenylproponolamine-but many do. At first you have to start with the meds frequently-like daily, but then back it down to every X days as long as it still works.

Please suggest things that we can do ourselves as opposed to medications or vet-related fixes.

TIA.

I appreciate those that have given feedback, but we would really prefer to find something that we can do ourselves - diet changes or natural supplements or something else. Does anyone any any experience with this?

I appreciate those that have given feedback, but we would really prefer to find something that we can do ourselves - diet changes or natural supplements or something else. Does anyone any any experience with this?

Sorry for this but one of the simplest and safest treatments for the possibility of spay incontinence is Proin, phenypropanolamine. It is gotten only after a vet visit.

Unless you can read urine samples at home to diagnose potential urine infections there really isn't much that you will be able to do for this. Also a urine sample is going to rule out potenial issues such as diabetes, infection and some other health issues such as ailing kidneys.

:grouphug: