Menu

How do you clean your Whirley Pop popcorn popper?

I own a Whirley popcorn popper and struggle with getting it clean. The lid especially is difficult with the oil residue. You can't scrub with pads because it will scratch it up so badly. I don't expect it to shine like brand new, but don't want oil build-up either. Have you found a way to keep yours clean from the oil build-up? Thanks!

:lurk5:

(pun intended)

But I seriously would love to hear response to this. We wipe ours out and leave the oil residue, but wash it with soap and hot water and washcloth about once a week or so because the oil gets rancid. But this doesn't get it CLEAN clean, just clean-ish. I popped some heavenly peanut butter popcorn in it once and ended up running it through the dishwasher because it was too nasty to tackle. I know that's a no-no though.

Well, for awhile after we got it, I wiped it out, then occasionally cleaned with hot soapy water, and that seemed to be fine. Then, certain teenagers in my house got lazy, and just left it after popping corn. It got seriously gunky with that rubbery oil residue. I mean BAAAAADDD. Well, from my experience, the only thing that really cuts that stuff is baking soda, and I could care less whether the pot gets scratched, so I took my cheap metal toothbrushy brush (dollar store), and went at it with baking soda. I just hacked at that thing, in all the crevices I could get to. It took forever. My fingers got majorly pruny. It was a big fat pain. I told my kids under pain of death that they better wash their pot out EVERY TIME grrrrrrrrrr. Actually the pot looks fine, even after being scrubbed with a metal brush. So I say scrub away. won't hurt it.

Well, for awhile after we got it, I wiped it out, then occasionally cleaned with hot soapy water, and that seemed to be fine. Then, certain teenagers in my house got lazy, and just left it after popping corn. It got seriously gunky with that rubbery oil residue. I mean BAAAAADDD. Well, from my experience, the only thing that really cuts that stuff is baking soda, and I could care less whether the pot gets scratched, so I took my cheap metal toothbrushy brush (dollar store), and went at it with baking soda. I just hacked at that thing, in all the crevices I could get to. It took forever. My fingers got majorly pruny. It was a big fat pain. I told my kids under pain of death that they better wash their pot out EVERY TIME grrrrrrrrrr. Actually the pot looks fine, even after being scrubbed with a metal brush. So I say scrub away. won't hurt it.

LOL, so the moral of the story is keep the thing away from your teenagers. Got it!

Barb