Menu

cocker spaniels

We are still trying to find the right dog to adopt. We were approved for a bearded collie mix out of Kentucky and I had reputable transport from NH to here in Can. but I couldn't get her from Kentucky to NH :( The rescue group tried and were wonderful but not meant to be. So back to the drawing board.

There are some cocker spaniel poodle mixes available. My sister tells me cocker spaniels are very hard to train. My bichon was extremely hard to train, so I really don't want a challenge at this point :) I am definitely willing to put a lot into training the dog with clicker training etc. but I can't go through the duration that our bichon has been.

So cocker spaniel owners. Are they notoriously difficult to train? Would the poodle pedigree help? I also wonder if they would be lower shedding as they are part poodle?

Our Cocker Spaniel didn't shed much, but I also kept her hair short. (Daily brushing and/or grooming costs are another thing to take into account.) We got her as a puppy from a breeder, not from a rescue so we know her history.

Our Cocker was hard to train, but doable. We got her before we had kids and very carefully socialized her and trained her. The biggest problem we had with her was that she would pee every. single. time. someone came to the door or she met someone new. No amount of training or meds fixed it. We lived with it till we had DD. Then our carefully socialized dog decided children, who are great at the park, are NOT great when they live with you and take some of your attention. We carefully supervised their interaction and things were OK till we had DS. She came over to sniff at DS when he was a few weeks old and nipped him - no warning, no provocation, no nothing...

We re-homed her. I've heard a LOT of stories from Cocker Spaniel owners about submissive peeing and not being great with kids. I would not own another Cocker.

. I've heard a LOT of stories from Cocker Spaniel owners about submissive peeing and not being great with kids. I would not own another Cocker.

A lot of Cockers are bad about the submissive peeing, but we have three Cockers and they have all been great with our kids. Cockers have been very over bred so it is important to meet the dog to figure out what his/her personality is like.

Jan

Another cocker spaniel owner here. We currently have four. They are great with our kids. Some are hard to train, others are very smart and easy to train. It really depends on their breeding. None of my four are submissive pee er's but this is also something that some cocker spaniels have trouble with.

They are my favorite breed. Our four range from very smart, to pretty dumb. Our dumb ones are former puppy mill breeders, and I am just happy that they are house trained and are very good dogs, just not dogs that know tricks :)

Hmmm... well this little one is only a couple of weeks old. I know the rescue group has her mom too, but don't know yet when they want to release the pups.

Do you think being a poodle mix would help? Going to see her ahead of time isn't doable as she is three provinces away and being so young I wouldn't think anything would be obvious.

Would I be taking a big risk? I really would rather a dog than a pup, but I thought the poodle part would make for an intelligent dog.

You can't really compare a pure-bred cocker with a cocker-whatever mix. :-)

I was going to comment on the coat issue, which would be a deal breaker for *me*--poodle, yes; cocker, no--but since you've had a bichon you're already familiar with having to deal with coat (I prefer dogs with no coat, like my French bulldog or a greyhound).

My mother raised cockers for several years; they were great pets. She also raised poodles before that, also great pets. Don't know what a poodle-cocker mix would be like, since there are so many variables; a black poodle has a different personality than a silver, and a parti-color cocker is different from a buff. Those must surely factor in when you're talking about a mixed-breed dog.

If you're getting your dog from a foster home, probably your best bet is to talk to the foster parents, as being a cocker spaniel or poodle owner will not really prepare you to be a cocker spaniel-poodle owner.

Hmm. Back in the old days, didn't they call cocker/poodle mixes "Cock-a-poos"? We had a poodle and a "Peke-a-poo" (Pekingese/poodle) when I was growing up, but my aunt had a cock-a-poo. She was a smart dog and she had no training issues with her.

I really don't think you're going to see true cocker traits with a mixed breed dog. I wouldn't be terribly worried about supposed cocker training issues. We have a "spaniel of undetermined breed"/poodle mix now :D. She trained exceedingly easily and is the best dog we've ever had....despite being kind of dopey! She'll be 8 this fall and the only thing I'd change about her is her coat. It's horrid. She has poodle curl and wave but sheds like CRAZY. I spend a lot of time brushing and vacuuming.

Personally, I would jump on the puppy you're describing, but I'm a total sucker for poodles and poodle mixes. I love their personalities :001_smile:.

We have a black cocker spaniel. He was a rescue dog and nearly four years old when we adopted him. He had been abused (probably by a man, he does not like men). He has emotional baggage and *does* have an issue with submissive peeing, but only with men (mostly big, loud men). We crate-trained him. It worked out pretty well, but he still has to be crated when we leave the house; he can't be trusted alone.

He is extremely tolerant of kids. He loved to chase balls when he was younger and cockers generally love toys.

He is not a terrible shedder, but we keep his coat quite short, not in a typical cocker cut.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

Rosco is a chocolate and tan cocker spaniel. He is a sweet dog, but he has a lot of allergies (more than any other dog I have ever had). Because of this, he has to eat special food with no corn in it and have monthly allergy shots.

He has a beautiful coat when we let him grow out...unfortunately, we can't let him grow out because that makes the allergies worse (staph infection).

He was not hard to potty train...but he is also never going to be "fully potty trained" like other dogs. At 5 years old, he will still have accidents in the house once in awhile and he is also a terrible "piddler" - he piddles whenever he is nervous.

Cockers can be snippy, especially if they are in pain for some reason. Be really careful when choosing one that you won't be raising from puppyhood for this reason. Make sure it has been around your childre, especially when it is eating. Cockers can sometimes get really growly when they eat and kids come around. Even my dog does this sometimes and we did raise him since he was a pup.

My cocker doesn't shed at all...but all that fur makes for a very "high maintenance" dog. He has to be clipped and bathed weekly and brushed daily when he is in coat.

BUT...He's pretty.:tongue_smilie:

post-4243-13535083838749_thumb.jpg

post-4243-13535083838749_thumb.jpg

We have a ten year old cocker spaniel. We have been blessed that she did not have any of the typical cocker issues, like the excitement peeing or bad attitude with children. We got her as a puppy and she trained pretty easily. She has been a good dog for our family. I don't have any experience with cocker-poodle mixes, but my guess is that it would be a pretty decent dog. As someone else said, cocker spaniels have been overbred and have a lot of breed-specific problems that would hopefully be removed as they mix with other breeds.