Menu

Has anyone used the Hewitt World History syllabus?

We are considering a one year world history course for gr 11 or 12, and we like the Hewitt syllabus. They use Streams of Civilization which we do not like! Does anyone have any experience with this course? Specifically, has anyone used this course and successfully substituted the Streams text with another world history text?

• 9 months later...

I don't actually own it, but a friend showed it to me when I was over at her house. It's basically a list of reading assignments, writing, projects, etc. all centered around Streams of Civilization. They're all of about 30 pages, so there's not a whole lot to it.

This is on my list of future options if our other plans don't work out for high school. I'm also considering MFW's high school program (which uses Notgrass) and Notgrass by itself.

. . . but ended up not using it. That was just because the student with whom I intended to use it went to college a year earlier than I anticipated.

For what it's worth (and this was a few years ago, now), I bought the syllabus with the intention of using a different text. And when I read over the pages, I thought it would be very possible to substitute.

Edit (now that I am sure my computer isn't freaking out and I have time to type):

Okay, I went and dug out the syllabus from my shelf. The one I have is the Honors Modern World History. It is written to use "approximately the second half" of Streams of Civilization, Volume Two. The syllabus lists the topics covered in each chapter of the suggested text, and my plan was to simply assign readings from the text I selected that covered the same topics.

For each quarter, the student is supposed to read the required portion of the text, complete a certain number of projects from a list of about 60 ideas (which are general enough to go with any text), draw a map, make a time line with 10 events, define 20-25 vocabulary words drawn from the reading (chosen by the student, not from the recommended text), read books from a list given in the syllabus about the era being studied, answer essay-type exam questions. The only one of these that I think could be tricky for someone not using the recommended text would be the exam questions. However, I think a parent who was on top of things could check in advance to make sure the topics are adequately covered in the chosen text. And the student may choose from a list which ones to answer.

I think it would be entirely possible. In fact, I'm kind of planning on going that route with my son in a couple of years.

Edited by Jenny in Florida