Menu

Words you love

Is it weird that I have never heard a word and thought "I like the way that word sounds"? I mean, there are nice words, and I like the meanings of so many words, but I haven't ever thought about the sound of words being pretty or anything. I think I might be weird.

Nope, not weird... me, too.

I have noticed, though, that lately I have been using the word "apathetic" a lot...

... and it's usually when I'm talking about my son. :glare:

P.S. - This thread is making me think of Elle Driver in Kill Bill Vol. 2 when she says that she loves the word "gargantuan" but rarely gets to use it in a sentence...

:lol:

crepuscluar

I actually heard it used in a sentence once, when a zoo keeper was talking to another zoo keeper about a particular animal. It made me ridiculously happy!

You got me. I felt rather proud that I knew all the words listed, but now I have to go look one up. :auto:

I have always been fascinated by words, their sounds, and their shape.

reverberate

conflagration

moot

pugnacious

funiculi funicula ...(not real words, but I love the way they sound)

capitulation

circumspectly

loquacious

rue

modulate

askew

flummox

occipital

shenanigans...especially!

Sometimes, when trying to fall asleep, a word will just enter my head and will repeat over and over looking for it's meaning. It will go on like that all night long... until I finally get out of bed and look it up in the dictionary. Once satisfied, it will leave me in peace. No, it's not OCD. It may happen once every few months, but not on a regular basis...and fear or dread is never an element. I believe it happens when I hear a word (even unconsciosly) and don't know the meaning, my curious brain won't rest until it has a definition attached to it. Words like:

perspicuity

fundibular

alacrity

pusillanimous

tumescence

Hoping this hasn't awakened any slumbering words in my head...

Geo

Edited by Geo
added shenanigans...how could I forget shenanigans?