Menu

Words you love

This is so strange. A couple of months ago I started keeping a list of words that I enjoy the sound of. Here's what I have so far:

bookie

butcher

kitchen

seashore

shells

boats

hemp

Barbara Bain

people

boy

on holiday

happy Christmas

cook

perplexed

conflicted

dress

courage

tobacco

diverting

sharp at three

you should have done

that was badly done

teeming with fish

tangle

sister

daughter

reading

listen

Cathy

paint pots

lip gloss

sneaking

vexing

vexed

Father Christmas

I love the word effervescent! And epiphany. And narcissistic. Nonchalant. Aloof. Nemesis. Malevolent. Whimsical. Vanity. Vapid.

Ok, I should stop. I like words a lot. :) And now that I notice, I like words that aren't very "nice" in meaning. I just love the way they sound.

Not a complicated one, I just like the way it sounds when used in a sentence:

perhaps

As in, "Perhaps I will finally finish cleaning up the basement today."

Or, "Perhaps not."

Or just by itself:

"Mom, if I finish my math on time can we bake cookies?"

"Perhaps."

I've always liked the sound of the word "who". It's all air with no hard consonents or unidentifiable vowel sound. I remember being about 8 yrs. old and saying who, who, who - over and over in my head, trying to spell it. I just couldn't attach any letter of the alphabet to the sound of who.

Is it weird that I have never heard a word and thought "I like the way that word sounds"? I mean, there are nice words, and I like the meanings of so many words, but I haven't ever thought about the sound of words being pretty or anything. I think I might be weird.

Is it weird that I have never heard a word and thought "I like the way that word sounds"? I mean, there are nice words, and I like the meanings of so many words, but I haven't ever thought about the sound of words being pretty or anything. I think I might be weird.

Totally weird:lol:

I love the assortment of words and will spend tonight's insomnia filled evening looking up half of them in a dictionary :lol:

crepuscluar

I actually heard it used in a sentence once, when a zoo keeper was talking to another zoo keeper about a particular animal. It made me ridiculously happy!

I love crepuscular! I discovered that word in Trumpet of the Swan.

Words I love:

gesticulate

semolina

magnanimous

chagrined

vex

zenith

quill

quixotic

fastidious

meticulous

serpentine

czar

There are more; depends on context. I love the perfect placement of the exactly correct word, even if the word is Hoover or Jello.

Words I don't like:

Any word that causes the lips to vibrate together; Boom, Humm, Vroom

Blech! I hate it when my lips buzz together.

Marlboro. I always feel like I'm saying it wrong. Glad I don't smoke.

I really hate the word vulva and by association, Volvo. I could never own a Volvo.

I hate the words occassion and occurrance, because I can't get it through my head how to spell them. See?! I messed up again!