Menu

My lighbulb moment regarding our workboxes.

springmama

I have a problem with kids being bored and also needing more practice in just about everything.....I also wanted to incorporate workboxes into our system because i want them to eventually be independent.

As of right now, in K and 2nd they are not independent. I need to be there to teach them almost every step of the way. That's fine with me. DD is starting to be able to do most of her math and spelling on her own...the rest will come.

The kids really like the idea of workboxes and to me it's just not practical to use them unless they can really work independently.

So, I decided something yesterday. In their workboxes I will only put "fun" practice sheets, games, file folder games, puzzles, etc. Things that are fun, craft that they can do alone, that will reinforce what they've already learned.

Their main lessons will be with me at the school table.

Duh. I know it sounds really simple but it never occurred to me to do it this way.

So my plan is this- I will do Bible and History or Science with them together first thing in the morning. Then we'll have a snack and I'll sit down with one and teach math and LA while the other one goes through his or her workboxes, then I'll switch.

That's the way I have been using mine also. I plan to add more of the "real" work as they gain more ability to do it on their own. Right now I want to be there paying close attention to what they are doing- even with things like handwriting, so there's not to much I want them to be doing without me.

So, I decided something yesterday. In their workboxes I will only put "fun" practice sheets, games, file folder games, puzzles, etc. Things that are fun, craft that they can do alone, that will reinforce what they've already learned.

Their main lessons will be with me at the school table.

Duh. I know it sounds really simple but it never occurred to me to do it this way.

I love your idea! I don't know why, but it never occurred to me, either. Now I've got a plan for this weekend, and I can't wait to see how many fun things I can find to fill up our workboxes. Thanks for sharing.

• 2 months later...

Don't worry, I'm saying Duh to myself as I read this! I've wanted to incorporate work boxes too, but I'm in the same dilemma as you. They aren't independent yet, but there are fun review games and things I've been meaning to incorporate in.

Thanks for the lightbulb moment!!! Why didn't I think of this before??

So can we discuss ideas on what to put in the workboxes for younger children. 4- 6 year olds?

Good idea! :001_smile: I played around with workboxes a little bit this school year (for my 4-year-old). The days I prepared them she did much better. A few things we did for the 4 year old (and I need to work harder at being prepared for the week in advance):

1. A "skills" box - I put sheets from the I Can series (cutting, pasting, drawing types of sheets). Each sheet takes her a short amount of time so I put them all together with the scissors, glue stick and crayons and call is "skills".

2. A craft. I am using Carol's Affordable Curriculum for the prepared/planned crafts. She likes it. I pull the stuff out. Put it in the box. She sometimes needs a little help from me but can be working alongside while I'm teaching.

3. Puzzles. She loves them so this works for her. I always wish I had more though: like a 2 or 3 week supply so there would be a different one each day.:D

4. A "math" activity like tangrams, pattern blocks, base 10 blocks, cuisenaire rods . . . I don't have tons of these but there are no end to the ideas here.

5. Lauri types of activities. We have several recommended by MFW.

6. Playdough. :001_smile: I have fun playdough mats (I'll have to look for the website later) and letter sheets laminated. She enjoys this.

7. Rubber stamps.

8. Watercolor paints (the cheapo kind Crayola makes).

9. Someone had a fabulous idea of using a dull craft needle, squares of felt and big buttons. She lets her four year old sew buttons on the felt squares. I don't have the needle yet but I suspect this would be a hit.

10. HWT Wood Letter Pieces with the cards. She can build capital letters on the floor.

11. Wikki Stix have been fun.

12. There may have been other things but my brain is empty! :D

**** Workboxes don't work for me unless I have a prepared plan. It's too hard to think on the fly for more than about 3 days. I run out of ideas. In my perfect world I'd have a 2 or 3 week rotating workbox schedule for my little (and perhaps my olders if I was using it as independent activities according to the OP's idea which is awesome). That way I just look on the schedule and load up those few boxes. In our home 6 boxes is more than enough for my 4 year old.

Guest mrsjamiesouth

I found these spelling mats that I printed and laminated. I put them in a box with play-do, so he has to form the letters with play-do.

I put puzzles in a box. I will hide a snack in a box.

Great idea! Maybe what I' ve been looking for to re-vitalize things around here AND keep my boys productively busy when they zoom through their work and start to eye the video games! :D

Me too. My son disappears pretty quickly after he's done with something, and next thing I know, he's heading toward the computer or the x-box:sneaky2:.

It would be great to have some things prepared for times like this; a help for this not-so-quick-anymore mom (last kid, I've gotten sloppy, gotta chin up and get on the ball ;).

Great idea, and thank you for resurrecting this thread, because I missed it the first time around.

Good idea! :001_smile: I played around with workboxes a little bit this school year (for my 4-year-old). The days I prepared them she did much better. A few things we did for the 4 year old (and I need to work harder at being prepared for the week in advance):

1. A "skills" box - I put sheets from the I Can series (cutting, pasting, drawing types of sheets). Each sheet takes her a short amount of time so I put them all together with the scissors, glue stick and crayons and call is "skills".

2. A craft. I am using Carol's Affordable Curriculum for the prepared/planned crafts. She likes it. I pull the stuff out. Put it in the box. She sometimes needs a little help from me but can be working alongside while I'm teaching.

3. Puzzles. She loves them so this works for her. I always wish I had more though: like a 2 or 3 week supply so there would be a different one each day.:D

4. A "math" activity like tangrams, pattern blocks, base 10 blocks, cuisenaire rods . . . I don't have tons of these but there are no end to the ideas here.

5. Lauri types of activities. We have several recommended by MFW.

6. Playdough. :001_smile: I have fun playdough mats (I'll have to look for the website later) and letter sheets laminated. She enjoys this.

7. Rubber stamps.

8. Watercolor paints (the cheapo kind Crayola makes).

9. Someone had a fabulous idea of using a dull craft needle, squares of felt and big buttons. She lets her four year old sew buttons on the felt squares. I don't have the needle yet but I suspect this would be a hit.

10. HWT Wood Letter Pieces with the cards. She can build capital letters on the floor.

11. Wikki Stix have been fun.

12. There may have been other things but my brain is empty! :D

**** Workboxes don't work for me unless I have a prepared plan. It's too hard to think on the fly for more than about 3 days. I run out of ideas. In my perfect world I'd have a 2 or 3 week rotating workbox schedule for my little (and perhaps my olders if I was using it as independent activities according to the OP's idea which is awesome). That way I just look on the schedule and load up those few boxes. In our home 6 boxes is more than enough for my 4 year old.

Great list! I'd love the link for the playdoh mats.

I was thinking of a few things:

The Learning Resources Cash Register

Clock-o-dial

Inchimals

Leap Pad or something similar

Music Ace Deluxe (put the game in the drawer)

Creativity Express (put the game in the drawer)

Even an educational DVD would be good - of course not every day

Maze books (my son loves these)

Dot to Dot books

Geo Boards

Funtastic Frogs

Markers and a whiteboard

Of course these aren't free, but they are great learning activities.

OOHHHH! I just found these!

http://www.sparklebox.co.uk/1311-1315/sb1312.html

http://www.prekinders.com/pdf/CherryPiePlayDoughMat.pdf

http://www.sparklebox.co.uk/toolbar/no/thumbs5/sb129.html'>http://www.sparklebox.co.uk/toolbar/no/thumbs5/sb129.html

http://www.sparklebox.co.uk/toolbar/no/thumbs5/sb129.html

http://www.sparklebox.co.uk/cll/alphabet/mats.html

Do a search for playdoh on the site, it brings up all kinds of wonderful mats!

Edited by scrapbabe