Menu

Moving within Washington...Intent form in both districts???

I checked WHO, HSLDA, and many other websites, but can't seem to find anything for my situation. This is our first year homeschooling in Eastern WA, but we just found out that we will be moving to Western WA right after schools starts. My dd will be 9 on sept. 13th. My question is: Do I need to file the Declaration of Intent in our current district AND in our future district? How soon after moving to Western WA, do I need to file it? Do I need to officially withdraw her here (since we are moving out of the district)?

Thankyou

-T

Send it to your school district there in E. Washington. That is where you will be until the 9/15 deadline.

You do not have to withdraw her from anything because she isn't enrolled in public school. (Unless she was enrolled in public school last year - in which case you do need to withdraw her from her former school.)

Hmm. I'm not sure about what to do when you've moved. Perhaps call WHO or e-mail them? They have contact information on their site.

Parents must file an annual signed declaration of intent to home school by Sept. 15 of each year "or within two weeks of the beginning of any public school quarter, trimester, or semester" with the local superintendent or with the superintendent of a nonresident district which accepts the home school student as a transfer student under § 28A.225.220. "The statement shall include the name and age of the child, shall specify whether a certificated person will be supervising the instruction, and shall be written in a format prescribed by the superintendent of public instruction."

From the HSLDA website. I take it to mean that once you transfer, you need to notify the new superintendent. how else would you be a transfer student?

Thanks everyone!

DawnL- That's what I was thinking also.

I read something in the law that you only have to withdraw your child if they are 6 or 7 years old. That was my interpretation anyway. However; My DS was supposed to go to the school(this year) for a 1-day/week enrichment class. The school called me recently to see if she would still attending. I sent them an email stating that she would not be attending at all because of the move. I will turn in the Intent form here and then at the other district(within 2 wks ofthe move), as another poster suggested. :)

the "transfer student" written in the law, I was interpreting as: transfering from the original public school to homeschool. I guess the law is somewhat open to interpretation, but the Intent to homeschool is pretty major and I don't want to mess that one up. :)

-T

Do what the others suggested, send your intent to your current district now then send your intent to the new district once you move. No need to do any withdrawal as your child isn't considered a public school student. Even then, all you'd have to do is contact the school and let them know you're moving and leaving the district, they handle the rest. :)

As for that part in the law about "transfer student", if you read it closely it has to do with filing with a nonresident school district.

Good luck with the move, I'm sorry you are leaving this part of the state, seems I never get a chance to meet anyone that lives in my part of the state and then they leave, lol! :)