Menu

What are Pathway Readers?

Irishmommy

They are wholesome (but not openly religious, IME) stories. They are cute. They teach good values. They're the sort of thing you don't have to worry about pre-reading for questionable content. The whole series follow a group of kids and their families, although you don't have to start with Grade 1 to follow the stories.

I have to share this story. When I heard people talking about how great they were, I asked a few people about them. Every single one of them told me they were wholesome and it actually turned me off to them. In my head, I kept thinking, "I know what wholesome means. It's like when you're asking about a blind date and they say he's a great conversationalist." So I dug my heels in and didn't get them. I kept hearing from people how I really should give them a try and let my DD read them. Finally I gave in (literally only to get one particular friend to stop bringing it up) and let DD read one of them. She loved them! And, after reading a few chapters from the Grade 2 book, I have to agree. They are wholesome. :) And I learned a good lesson about digging my heels in...

So how do they compare with R&S or CLE as far as overtly religious content? I bought CLE for mine and we are finding it a bit uncomfortable.

Anyone use the workbooks?

I like the Pathway Readers. Ds struggles with reading, and there is something about the type in these books that really helps him. After a few days of using them, though, he got very frustrated: "Mom. why are there no pictures of *people* in these stories?!" (He's an Aspie and this sort of thing bugs him.) Apparently the Amish don't feel that it's appropriate to include images of themselves in their publications. There are illustrations of plenty of other things, but no people. ;)

I like the Pathway Readers. Ds struggles with reading, and there is something about the type in these books that really helps him. After a few days of using them, though, he got very frustrated: "Mom. why are there no pictures of *people* in these stories?!" (He's an Aspie and this sort of thing bugs him.) Apparently the Amish don't feel that it's appropriate to include images of themselves in their publications. There are illustrations of plenty of other things, but no people. ;)

the Amish do not make pictures of people, nor do they allow themselves to be photographed.

the Amish do not make pictures of people, nor do they allow themselves to be photographed.

That's what I learned. I had heard that, but I was confused because there are pictures (illustrations) of people in the Rod and Staff and Christian Light Education books. The difference, I *think,* is that the Pathway materials are Amish and the others are Mennonite.

Edited by Maverick_Mom

The workbooks are some comprehension questions, and a lot of grammar stuff. Things like making works plural, syllables, etc. There are also some things like looking for specific paragraphs for the answer and multiple choice questions. The TM's are simply the answers to the workbooks. We have the grade 4 reader and workbook. Though I love the reader, DD doesn't need any extra comprehension work or grammar work. I got the workbook, but it was overkill IMO.

The workbooks are some comprehension questions, and a lot of grammar stuff. Things like making works plural, syllables, etc. There are also some things like looking for specific paragraphs for the answer and multiple choice questions. The TM's are simply the answers to the workbooks. We have the grade 4 reader and workbook. Though I love the reader, DD doesn't need any extra comprehension work or grammar work. I got the workbook, but it was overkill IMO.

Thank you. Sounds like I just want the reader itself.

We used Pathway Readers from first grade through 6th grade as well as the workbooks. The workbooks are wonderful in my opinion - I think you really need them. They have a pre-reading vocabulary lesson and then a post-reading comprehension lesson with an extra grammar lesson at the end. All the lessons are very to the point - my son enjoyed the series a lot and we still the vocabulary/grammar workbook - called Working with Words in the later grades, by itself. He grew out of the readers in 7th and preferred novels, but the Working with Words is actually our whole vocabulary and grammar program now.

I just asked about readers and someone recommended pathway readers. It's so funny b/c I've been wishing I had gone with their grammar program. (any feedback on climbing to good english) we use growing with grammar right now but maybe next year, i'll use the whole package.

I just put the readers for grades 3, 5 and 6 (with workbooks) and the vocabulary program into my wishlist on rainbow - looks like another order is in my future :)

I was looking for something with a g_dly background but not a christian background per se and I'm thinking this is exactly what I was looking for. It had been right under my nose!