Menu

Parmesan Cheese

How do you keep Parmesan cheese fresh? We don't use a lot but I like to add it to pastas. Even when I buy the small plastic container of fresh shreded (about 1-2 cups) I use it once or twice and then about a week or so later it doesn't smell fresh anymore in the fridge. Its not green but just weird smelling so I end up throwing it.

I've always thought the pantry version of it (the one that's not refrigerated) wasn't "real" meaning it had more additives etc, but is that the best option if you're only using it occasionally and then at least it doesn't spoil in the pantry?

I know to keep cheese from getting moldy you should put a paper towel with some vinegar on it. I don't know if it would work for you. You don't taste the vinegar. I would get the freshness is an issue with exposure to air. You could buy a piece of Parmesan cheese and grate it as needed.

We've never had any problem keeping it for ages, either in the block or in grated form. I also used the very finely grated type that comes off the supermarket shelf - it doesn't list any presevatives. Or how about keeping it in the freezer and then taking out as you need? I sometimes to that with other cheese - buy a big block, greate it, then keep it in the freezer for when I need it for cooking or toasted sandwiches.

I keep a bag of shredded parm in the freezer. It's loose, so I just take out as much as I need for a meal. I'm sure it's not the *ultimate* parmesan experience, but it's the most practical way for my family. I sure do hate to see food spoil!

This is what I do.

No funky smell, unless you consider aged cheese to have a funky smell...which it can have. Good cheese is aged and aged. A couple of weeks in the fridge is nothing. :) I have never known reggiano cheese to come pre grated. I buy blocks...they are $, so I am the one looking for the smaller blocks...

Edited by LibraryLover

I buy those little triangles of parmesan at the store and use my microplane fine-hole grater :) I sort of fold the wrapping over the opened tip and put the parmesan in a sandwich ziplock baggie. I have NEVER had problems with the cheese going bad. Sometimes we go through the triangle in 2 weeks, sometimes 2 months or more.