Menu

Do you love the song "Hallelujah" as much as I do?

Melanie,

That Belafonte/Muppets song was pretty cool! But FYI I also really love "The Rainbow Connection" by Kermit The Frog and always have lol- the melody, the lyrics, all of it.

Jackie,

Wow, I'd love to see all the unpublished verses, too! I didn't know that! And LOL I hear you on the "and now I'm sitting on a homeschool message board, which sure isn't where I thought I'd be, if someone asked me twenty years ago." Music sure gets one nostaligic, huh? :D

hornblower,

Thanks for posting that Nancy White song! I haven't heard to the actual song so I don't know the tune or anything but I LOVE the lyrics! Those are great!

Kelly,

Yay, more Hallelujah. I think I've listened to more versions of this song in the past 12 hours than I don't know what, but I just never get sick of this song :D She did a nice rendition, though it doesn't give me chills like some of the others did... either that or I'm starting to become immune after so many listens LOL.

jazzy,

I know! Wasn't it awesome? I loved that show, and the series finale had my husband and I both tearing up! I watch it every now and then on Youtube again, those last six minutes. The way they showed all those flash forwards but kept going back to Claire so young and fresh looking, with her whole life ahead of her, but you just knew what was coming and that it couldn't be stopped. That what seems like forever ahead of you is never really forever. It was a really powerful ending. Crazy!

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

He was a published poet and novelist before he ever recorded an album. I love his poetry; his voice I can only take in small doses.

If someone asks you what any Leonard Cohen song or poem is about, and you say "It's about the wonders of s*x and the pain of love," you'll be right about 90% of the time. ;) I know people sometimes look for a Christian/Biblical interpretation of Hallelujah (e.g. the whole song is about David, or it's about the singer's relationship with God), but Cohen is actually an ordained Buddhist monk. He still considers himself a Jew as well, and he uses a lot of Judeo-Christian symbolism in his writing, but often the Biblical allusions relate more to the idea that love and s*x mirror religious experience in terms of the depths of joy and pain. E.g. "Remember when I moved in you, the holy dove was moving too, and every breath we drew was hallelujah." I think the David/Bathsheba references (and, more obliquely, the Samson reference — "she cut your hair") refer to a common theme in Cohen's writing: that even the most powerful man on earth is helpless in the face of love/s*xual attraction. If you look at Cohen's own life, he seems to have spent an awful lot of it vacillating between "helpless" and "aw, bummer." :lol:

Jackie

This is what I always thought of the song, too. I've read some of his poetry - he's a little too...conflicted ;)...for my taste, for the most part. But I think his weaving of ideas and including something so "holy" as biblical kings having the same torments as modern man, so to speak, is pretty cool (I just woke up and can't come up with a better word than "cool" quite yet).

It brings tears to my eyes. Most hymn-type music does this to me, although I'm not "religious."

Me too! Ave Maria, for example, gives me goose bumps and before I know it, my whole face is soaked with involuntary tears. It's like I have no emotional control whatsoever.

Here's a fave, Shelter by Ray Lamontagne

I could watch him all day long he's so danged cute.

Gawd, I love this song.

Wow - thanks for posting that!

I've got a new book in the plotting stages & this time I'm writing to a soundtrack. This is wonderful & just right for their last night before he has to leave......

& is it just me? He totally reminds me of Dennis Wilson. I heart Denny. :)

32491_Wilson-Dennis.gif

Here's a fave, Shelter by Ray Lamontagne

I could watch him all day long he's so danged cute.

Gawd, I love this song.

Wow - thanks for posting that!

For my fellow Ray Lamontagne fans, this website has 26 (yes, twenty-six) live & unreleased MP3s for free download — they've even put them all in a convenient zip file if you want to download the whole shebang.

Scroll to the bottom of the page and you'll find his version of (You Don't Know What It's Like) To Love Somebody. Raw, personal, and very powerful.

Jackie

LOL you guys are killing me. I like that. Edge and distinction!

KidsHappen,

Can you give a link to the specific one you are listening to? There are a few on Youtube of varying lengths.

I love Pink Floyd, by the way! "Wish You Were Here" is one of my favorites!

Try this one. Some instrumentation as Shine on you Crazy Diamond: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJTiXoMCppw&feature=fvw .

OK you guys listen to this song with me now.

sniff, sniff.

(Yes, I confess, I LOVE Meatloaf and this is one of my favorites!)

Ok, this one drew tears. This man has an incrediblely powerful voice and sometimes his lyrics have the ability to drag feelings from deep inside you that you didn't even know where there. I have always liked him. For Crying out Loud has been a tear jerker for me since the first time I heard it.

I really like the Allison Crowe version of the song.

Kelly

Yes, her version is also very powerful. Great voice. I have never heard a single man that could sing the word Hallelujah as well as many women do. Women have a much wider range and can reach higher highs. I have heard women sing it in many a hymnal that had the capability to literally take your breath away. I am not Christian but I can certainly appreciate the hymnals. I once heard an Arron Neville rendtion of Amazing Grace that brought me to tears. We played the George Jones version at my mom's funeral and of course that brought the tears as well.

Edited by KidsHappen

I love all of the songs mentioned here so I thought I would mention one of my favorites. We played this last year at my Dad's funeral and it really meant a lot to my whole family. It is called Go Rest High on that Mountain by Vince Gill. He wrote it for his brother who had committed suicide. Gets me every time.

I love all of the songs mentioned here so I thought I would mention one of my favorites. We played this last year at my Dad's funeral and it really meant a lot to my whole family. It is called Go Rest High on that Mountain by Vince Gill. He wrote it for his brother who had committed suicide. Gets me every time.

That one was played at my Nana's funeral. Love it!

I love this song. Beautiful!

Kelly

For my fellow Ray Lamontagne fans, this website has 26 (yes, twenty-six) live & unreleased MP3s for free download — they've even put them all in a convenient zip file if you want to download the whole shebang.

Scroll to the bottom of the page and you'll find his version of (You Don't Know What It's Like) To Love Somebody. Raw, personal, and very powerful.

Jackie

Oh boy.

Oh. Boy. To Love Somebody is great.

But Half Alive - wow.

thank you

Another song I really love is the "Somewhere Over The Rainbow/Wonderful World" by IZ!!! (Israel Kamakawiwo'ole)

My dh loves that song and played it one too many times for me! It is pretty though.

I do think Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah is beautiful, we have it on our ipod, but the song always feels so melancholy for me, and the way he died tragically just makes me feel sad when I listen to it.