Menu

Do you love the song "Hallelujah" as much as I do?

He was a published poet and novelist before he ever recorded an album. I love his poetry; his voice I can only take in small doses.

If someone asks you what any Leonard Cohen song or poem is about, and you say "It's about the wonders of s*x and the pain of love," you'll be right about 90% of the time. ;) I know people sometimes look for a Christian/Biblical interpretation of Hallelujah (e.g. the whole song is about David, or it's about the singer's relationship with God), but Cohen is actually an ordained Buddhist monk. He still considers himself a Jew as well, and he uses a lot of Judeo-Christian symbolism in his writing, but often the Biblical allusions relate more to the idea that love and s*x mirror religious experience in terms of the depths of joy and pain. E.g. "Remember when I moved in you, the holy dove was moving too, and every breath we drew was hallelujah." I think the David/Bathsheba references (and, more obliquely, the Samson reference — "she cut your hair") refer to a common theme in Cohen's writing: that even the most powerful man on earth is helpless in the face of love/s*xual attraction. If you look at Cohen's own life, he seems to have spent an awful lot of it vacillating between "helpless" and "aw, bummer." :lol:

Jackie

Wow, great explanation. And so true.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I get chills from the top of my head to my toes every time I hear it. It is SO beautiful and moving. I loved this version, and especially loved the last guy who sang with the blond hair.

BEAUTIFUL!!!

I also LOVED the winner of American Idol's rendition. I don't think I've ever heard a bad one.

I know this has been way overdone, but it gets me every time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVbkz_3lO3c

And someone better play it at my funeral. Or else.

Okay, first the very thought of your funeral when I havn't even had the chance to MEET YOU ALIVE yet,.....just choked me up, but.....

I'm not sure I could keep a straight face if I heard the "SPCA Propaganda Theme Song" at your funeral! :001_huh: :lol:

Okay, first the very thought of your funeral when I havn't even had the chance to MEET YOU ALIVE yet,.....just choked me up, but.....

I'm not sure I could keep a straight face if I heard the "SPCA Propaganda Theme Song" at your funeral! :001_huh: :lol:

LMAO :lol:

STOP! That's why I said it's been overdone. It's the animal song now. I still love it. Maybe you can sing it at my funeral since you said something about dying cats or whatever when you sing. :D

I actually prefer Leonard Cohen's own version. His voice is rough and edgy, as are the lyrics. It's not a pretty-pretty song lyrically. I find it too "sanitized" when sung with an intention to make something angelic out of it.

Listen to the complete Cohen version on youtube. Close your eyes at about 3:55 and tell me if you hear Pink Floyd. I don't know which was written first so I don't know if one influenced the other. I checked with a couple musicians to make sure I wasn't imagining it before I posted this. They said they heard it as well. I don't play so I don't know the chord structure but it sounds the same.

STOP! That's why I said it's been overdone. It's the animal song now. I still love it. Maybe you can sing it at my funeral since you said something about dying cats or whatever when you sing. :D

Yeah, there will be cats mewing loudly from the outside. Poor things.

ETA: That's what I'm gonna start calling my voice: "edge and distinction".

LOL you guys are killing me. I like that. Edge and distinction!

KidsHappen,

Can you give a link to the specific one you are listening to? There are a few on Youtube of varying lengths.

I love Pink Floyd, by the way! "Wish You Were Here" is one of my favorites!

Oh and while we're talking about sad lyrics, you know which one chokes me up every time?

Billy Joel's Goodnight Saigon

We met as soul mates on Parris Island

We left as inmates from an asylum

And we were sharp, as sharp as knives

And we were so gung ho to lay down our lives

We came in spastic like tameless horses

We left in plastic as numbered corpses

And we learned fast to travel light

Our arms were heavy but our bellies were tight

We had no home front, we had no soft soap

They sent us Playboy, they gave us Bob Hope

We dug in deep and shot on sight

And prayed to Jesus Christ with all of our might

We had no cameras to shoot the landscape

We passed the hash pipe and played our Doors tapes

And it was dark, so dark at night

And we held on to each other like brother to brother

We promised our mothers we'd write

And we would all go down together

We said we'd all go down together

Yes we would all go down together

Remember Charlie, remember Baker

They left their childhood on every acre

And who was wrong? And who was right?

It didn't matter in the thick of the fight

We held the day in the palm of our hand

They ruled the nights, and the nights

Seemed to last as long as six weeks...

...On Parris Island

We held the coastline, they held the highlands

And they were sharp, as sharp as knives

They heard the hum of our motors

They counted the rotors

And waited for us to arrive

....that line about "we promised our mothers we'd write" makes me cry every freakin time!

I'm picturing all of us in a big ol' virtual living room right now, drinking wine, nibbling on pqr's armadilla BBQ listening to all of these beautiful haunting melodies, holding hands, singing Kumbaya at the end......:grouphug:

.....and I'm not even drunk!

haha! Yeah! Pass the wine! I need it now!

I'm picturing all of us in a big ol' virtual living room right now, drinking wine, nibbling on pqr's armadilla BBQ listening to all of these beautiful haunting melodies, holding hands, singing Kumbaya at the end......:grouphug:

.....and I'm not even drunk!

Wait a minute! MamaT will not join us if we are eating armadillos. We will have to eat Nutella instead. No bacon though!!!

Wonderful Tonight

by Eric Clapton

It's late in the evening; she's wondering what clothes to wear.

She puts on her make-up and brushes her long blonde hair.

And then she asks me, "Do I look all right?"

And I say, "Yes, you look wonderful tonight."

We go to a party and everyone turns to see

This beautiful lady that's walking around with me.

And then she asks me, "Do you feel all right?"

And I say, "Yes, I feel wonderful tonight."

I feel wonderful because I see

The love light in your eyes.

And the wonder of it all

Is that you just don't realize how much I love you.

It's time to go home now and I've got an aching head,

So I give her the car keys and she helps me to bed.

And then I tell her, as I turn out the light,

I say, "My darling, you were wonderful tonight.

Oh my darling, you were wonderful tonight."

Ahhhhhh.......Love it!!!

Oh and while we're talking about sad lyrics, you know which one chokes me up every time?

Billy Joel's Goodnight Saigon

We met as soul mates on Parris Island

We left as inmates from an asylum

And we were sharp, as sharp as knives

And we were so gung ho to lay down our lives

We came in spastic like tameless horses

We left in plastic as numbered corpses

And we learned fast to travel light

Our arms were heavy but our bellies were tight

We had no home front, we had no soft soap

They sent us Playboy, they gave us Bob Hope

We dug in deep and shot on sight

And prayed to Jesus Christ with all of our might

We had no cameras to shoot the landscape

We passed the hash pipe and played our Doors tapes

And it was dark, so dark at night

And we held on to each other like brother to brother

We promised our mothers we'd write

Remember Charlie, remember Baker

They left their childhood on every acre

And who was wrong? And who was right?

It didn't matter in the thick of the fight

We held the day in the palm of our hand

They ruled the nights, and the nights

Seemed to last as long as six weeks...

...On Parris Island

We held the coastline, they held the highlands

And they were sharp, as sharp as knives

They heard the hum of our motors

They counted the rotors

And waited for us to arrive

....that line about "we promised our mothers we'd write" makes me cry every freakin time!

:crying:

I thought about using Hurt by Johnny Cash, but we were out of songs by that time.

The first time I heard JC's version of Hurt (it's originally a Nine Inch Nails song), I was driving south trying to beat death to my dad. I couldn't get a flight out that would have got me there sooner than driving. This came on and I couldn't help but pull over to listen. Broke down and sobbed for half an hour. That song is so "my dad" especially the line about "my empire of dirt." Farmers will get that one for sure.

I did get there, but he was unconscious. I sat and sang his favourite hymn to him. Left the room to speak with my brother. He died while we were talking.

That JC song came on the radio again on our drive to his funeral.

I can't even finish typing this

Edited by Audrey

The first time I heard JC's version of Hurt (it's originally a Nine Inch Nails song), I was driving south trying to beat death to my dad. I couldn't get a flight out that would have got me there sooner than driving. This came on and I couldn't help but pull over to listen. Broke down and sobbed for half an hour. That song is so "my dad" especially the line about "my empire of dirt." Farmers will get that one for sure.

I did get there, but he was unconscious. I sat and sang his favourite hymn to him. Left the room to speak with my brother. He died while we were talking.

:grouphug: I feel your pain. I feel a very painful blog post coming on.

BTW: I listened to the Jason American Idol version. I think he's too young to sing about such things. Just my opinion....

:crying:

I might get kicked out of this party, but I have never been a Meatloaf fan. :tongue_smilie:

LOL that's okay. It's a touching song though, that particular one. I like a lot of their songs though. Meatloaf was the second live concert I ever saw (after Aerosmith/Skid Row).

BTW: I listened to the Jason American Idol version. I think he's too young to sing about such things. Just my opinion....

Maybe, but he did it so well lol.

Nakia, that is sweet. Isn't it weird how music can just so totally transport you? I can hear a song that was popular when dh and I were dating/first married and it brings it all back. (I tell my oldest every time I hear one.)

I am in AWE of people who can make music! My son has been like that since he could talk, remembers every song he's ever heard and is already playing guitar. So sweet! (he was named after Jakob Dylan of the Wallflowers.) I write, but I really wish I could be musical!

And RE: the wee young Jason Castro.....I really think that you need to have had your heart broken and mended to be able to really GIVE IT YOUR ALL in a song like this. That's why I like Cohen's version. It's raw and gritty, not sweet.

Oh, I love this song! And I've been sitting here for the last hour listening to the different versions, thanks to this thread! I don't know that I can pick a favourite as they're all so wonderful. But I have to say that Kurt Nielson in the video from the OP (fourth guy) was just brilliant!

I also *love* Somewhere Over the Rainbow by Iz. I had that playing during my birth with my youngest. It is just such a spiritually moving song for me... you can feel the magic as he sings it.

Here's another song that moves my soul: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLqb64Pb9So It's the muppets and Harry Belafonte, which might not be what you'd first think of when you say soulful music (ha ha), but I think this song is beyond amazing!

I had no idea there was a Bon Jovi version of this song. How did I not know this?!?!?

I haaaaated the last AI winner's version of Hallelujah. It's my very least favorite version of this song, hands down. I'd rather hear Barney sing it. :glare:

Another song that I first heard on American Idol and instantly loved was "Falling Slowly" when Kris Allen sang it:

If someone asks you what any Leonard Cohen song or poem is about, and you say "It's about the wonders of s*x and the pain of love," you'll be right about 90% of the time. ;) I know people sometimes look for a Christian/Biblical interpretation of Hallelujah (e.g. the whole song is about David, or it's about the singer's relationship with God), but Cohen is actually an ordained Buddhist monk. He still considers himself a Jew as well, and he uses a lot of Judeo-Christian symbolism in his writing, but often the Biblical allusions relate more to the idea that love and s*x mirror religious experience in terms of the depths of joy and pain. E.g. "Remember when I moved in you, the holy dove was moving too, and every breath we drew was hallelujah." I think the David/Bathsheba references (and, more obliquely, the Samson reference — "she cut your hair") refer to a common theme in Cohen's writing: that even the most powerful man on earth is helpless in the face of love/s*xual attraction. If you look at Cohen's own life, he seems to have spent an awful lot of it vacillating between "helpless" and "aw, bummer." :lol:

Jackie

:iagree: nodding in agreeance.... Exactly.

Those of you studying the Hallelujah lyrics, did you look at Leonard Cohen's version? Some of the lyrics are different:

"Hallelujah"

Now I've heard there was a secret chord

That David played, and it pleased the Lord

But you don't really care for music, do you?

It goes like this

The fourth, the fifth

The minor fall, the major lift

The baffled king composing Hallelujah

Hallelujah

Hallelujah

Hallelujah

Hallelujah

Your faith was strong but you needed proof

You saw her bathing on the roof

Her beauty and the moonlight overthrew you

She tied you

To a kitchen chair

She broke your throne, and she cut your hair

And from your lips she drew the Hallelujah

Baby I have been here before

I know this room, I've walked this floor

I used to live alone before I knew you.

I've seen your flag on the marble arch

Love is not a victory march

It's a cold and it's a broken Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah

There was a time you let me know

What's really going on below

But now you never show it to me, do you?

And remember when I moved in you

The holy dove was moving too

And every breath we drew was Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah

You say I took the name in vain

I don't even know the name

But if I did, well really, what's it to you?

There's a blaze of light

In every word

It doesn't matter which you heard

The holy or the broken Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah

I did my best, it wasn't much

I couldn't feel, so I tried to touch

I've told the truth, I didn't come to fool you

And even though

It all went wrong

I'll stand before the Lord of Song

With nothing on my tongue but Hallelujah

Supposedly there were originally a lot more verses — I once read an interview with John Cale, saying that when Cohen faxed him the lyrics, there were 15 pages! Cale chose the ones he wanted to use, which include:

Maybe there's a God above

But all I ever learned from love

Was how to shoot somebody who outdrew ya

It's not a cry that you hear at night

It's not somebody who's seen the light

It's a cold and it's a broken hallelujah

I'd sure love to see the rest of the unpublished verses!

ETA: According to this article, Cohen wrote more than EIGHTY verses! I wonder if he'll ever publish them???

Jackie

Edited by Corraleno

If someone asks you what any Leonard Cohen song or poem is about, and you say "It's about the wonders of s*x and the pain of love," you'll be right about 90% of the time. I know people sometimes look for a Christian/Biblical interpretation of Hallelujah (e.g. the whole song is about David, or it's about the singer's relationship with God), but Cohen is actually an ordained Buddhist monk. He still considers himself a Jew as well, and he uses a lot of Judeo-Christian symbolism in his writing, but often the Biblical allusions relate more to the idea that love and s*x mirror religious experience in terms of the depths of joy and pain. E.g. "Remember when I moved in you, the holy dove was moving too, and every breath we drew was hallelujah." I think the David/Bathsheba references (and, more obliquely, the Samson reference — "she cut your hair") refer to a common theme in Cohen's writing: that even the most powerful man on earth is helpless in the face of love/s*xual attraction. If you look at Cohen's own life, he seems to have spent an awful lot of it vacillating between "helpless" and "aw, bummer."

Oh, thank goodness for that. It explains why I felt uncomfortable listening to my niece's choir ( a bunch of 7 and 8 year olds) singing this song. I'm glad it's not because I have a warped mind :001_huh:

Guest janainaz
Might as well link
He is my favorite AI contestant ever!!

Oh, I have to agree with this. No one has compared in any way for me since he was on.

I love Leonard Cohen & have for decades now.

I like him singing anything & while this song isn't my fave of his, there really are no LC songs that I don't like.

His poetry is amazing.

What I also like is Nancy White's song "Leonard Cohen's Never Gonna Bring My Groceries In" :D

"I was listening to music as I swept the kitchen floor.

I was needing a shampoo and I was pushing 44.

And I had one of those flashes that hits you now and then

About experience manqué and certain sadly missing men.

And I realized in horror as I stroked my double chin,

Leonard Cohen's never gonna bring my groceries in!

I've a husband and a baby, there's another on the way.

And, like Leonard, I am aching in the place I used to play.

But really, I'm enjoying all this domesticity.

Hey, I never have to deal with Warren Beatty's vanity.

But there is one thing I regret, and my regret is genuine.

Leonard Cohen's never gonna bring my groceries in.

Oh Leonard and me, together we'd be great.

Strumming our guitars and singing songs while it got late!

(Well, not TOO late, these days I kind of fold about eleven.

But for a little while it would be heaven, heaven, heaven.)

Oh, Leonard and me, we'd be so decadent.

We'd look at all those bottles, wonder where the wine all went.

(Well frankly I can't drink it anymore, my head can't take it.

But I know me and Leonard we could make it, make it.)

I love each line he's written, Except for maybe one:

"Nancy wore green stockings [Male chorus] and she slept with

everyone."*)

I thought: "What if somebody thinks he's singing about me?"

'Cause after all, I lived in Montreal in 1963.

And perhaps I was his type when I was young and sweet and thin.

But now Leonard's never gonna bring my groceries in.

Oh, Leonard and me, we're soulmates, there's no doubt.

I feel it in my heart, we'd have so much to talk about.

We'd hole up in the Tower of Song with coffee strong and bitter.

That is, of course, if I could get a sitter,

A sitter, a sitter.

Hey, I'm just some singer looking for a sitter."

What I also like is Nancy White's song "Leonard Cohen's Never Gonna Bring My Groceries In" :D

That song is genius! And it's especially apropos, because after listening to Hallelujah, and reading some of Cohen's poetry, I was sitting here kinda wistfully remembering an old flame who was a writer and poet, thinking about how we used to stay up all night drinking wine and talking and.... stuff. :tongue_smilie: And now I'm sitting here on a homeschool message board, which sure isn't where I would have thought I'd be, if anyone had asked me 20 years ago.

And then you posted that song, and I'm laughing soooo hard :lol:

So thank you ;)

Jackie

And then you posted that song, and I'm laughing soooo hard :lol:

So thank you ;)

Jackie

Oh, you're welcome. Were you veering dangerously close to maudlin retrospection? :D Put away the red wine & the poetry books & the old photos & letters. You'll wake up with an awful headache if you don't (not that I know anything about these things.....)

I so know what you mean. When I was 20, I would have never guessed in a thousand years that this is what I'd be doing at 43.

I just wish I could find an mp3 of it b/e Nancy sings it so well, but she's doing a very good job protecting her copyright - smart gal.

She did another one for Leonard - when he was up on Mt Baldy

http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/white.html

He was in Vancouver recently & I didn't go. :001_huh: Because? I dunno why. Mostly because I don't really like large concerts like that & I'm cheap, cheap, cheap; but I've been regretting it like crazy ever since. I even had the tickets in my shopping cart, with a priority code for fans, a day ahead of the general public .... & I let them go..... promising myself instead to buy a cd & a book & drink a glass of wine at home in a toast. Was that stupid or not?

She did another one for Leonard - when he was up on Mt Baldy

http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/white.html

:lol:

I love this:

It seems to me the world has lots of monks and meditators

And some come up with brand-new thoughts

And some are just translators

But what the world needs now is Leonard Cohen as he was

'Cause nobody loves women truly madly deeply

Like our Leonard does

Cohen, from an interview in the Telegraph, 2008:

He once dryly described his reputation as "suicidal, depressive, melancholic and a ladies man, as if women appreciated these other qualities".

You'd think more men would have figured out by now that women will put up with pretty much anything in return for having passionate poetry written about them. :lol:

Jackie

Hm I never watched ER!

I do love me some Jon Bon Jovi! lol.

Arrrgh help me, I'm stuck on Youtube and I can't get off! I just rewatched the series finale of "Six Feet Under"- the final scenes where Claire is driving and they keep showing flash forwards of how all her loved ones age and die, and finally she does, too, set to "Breathe Me" by Sia.

Yes, that one stayed with me for a long time and turned my mind over and over! One reason was probably that we had lost DH's sister not too long before that.