Menu

National academic competitions and programs

Kay in Cal

I'm trying to put together a list of academic competitions/test programs that homeschool kids might get involved in. Just starting off, I can think of:

Scripps Spelling Bee

National Geographic Geography Bee

Odyssey of the Mind

Lego Robotics League

National Latin Exam

I know there must be dozens more... can you add to my list of possibilities?

Thank you!

http://www.jshs.org/

Junior Science and Humanities Symposium, if you don't mind something sponsored by the military. VERY homeschool friendly, and I suspect coordinating JSHS regionals is why my parents are so 100% behind homeschooling DD-they've seen so many homeschooled kids succeed.

Science fair is usually homeschool friendly as well, and homeschooled kids regularly win at ISEF, but each regional preliminary sets up it's own rules, and usually there's a homeschool preliminary that's the equivalent of a school level fair before going to regionals.

Edited by Dmmetler2

I'm trying to put together a list of academic competitions/test programs that homeschool kids might get involved in. Just starting off, I can think of:

Scripps Spelling Bee

National Geographic Geography Bee

Odyssey of the Mind

Lego Robotics League

National Latin Exam

I know there must be dozens more... can you add to my list of possibilities?

Thank you!

Here are some books that list competitions. I've only read the book by Wissner-Gross, which I do highly recommend.

Academic Competitions for Gifted Students: A Resource Book for Teachers and Parents (2007)

by Mary K. Tallent-Runnels and Ann C. Candler-Lotven

Competitions for Talented Kids (2005)

by Frances A. Karnes and Tracy L. Riley

What High Schools Don't Tell You (And Other Parents Don't Want You to Know): Create a Long-Term Plan for Your 7th to 10th Grader for Getting into the Top Colleges (2008)

by Elizabeth Wissner-Gross

Here are some books that list competitions. I've only read the book by Wissner-Gross, which I do highly recommend.

Academic Competitions for Gifted Students: A Resource Book for Teachers and Parents (2007)

by Mary K. Tallent-Runnels and Ann C. Candler-Lotven

Competitions for Talented Kids (2005)

by Frances A. Karnes and Tracy L. Riley

What High Schools Don't Tell You (And Other Parents Don't Want You to Know): Create a Long-Term Plan for Your 7th to 10th Grader for Getting into the Top Colleges (2008)

by Elizabeth Wissner-Gross

I recommend that book, too (as well as her other one, about What Colleges Don't Tell You). If you read it, though, approach it with your convictions and self-esteem intact. The plans she advocates are seriously intense, and I had to remind myself as I read that I'm not a failure if my kid isn't doing research at a nuclear physics lab the summer before Grade 10. She does offer lots of excellent information, though.

I recommend that book, too (as well as her other one, about What Colleges Don't Tell You). If you read it, though, approach it with your convictions and self-esteem intact. The plans she advocates are seriously intense, and I had to remind myself as I read that I'm not a failure if my kid isn't doing research at a nuclear physics lab the summer before Grade 10. She does offer lots of excellent information, though.

Wissner-Gross lives in the NYC area and counsels such parents, and reading her book and New York Times stories on education, it appears to me that clustering such bright and competitive parents together can induce a degree of insanity. I don't want to become one of them, but they know what they are talking about when it comes to educational opportunities.

Wissner-Gross does not understand that much of her advice -- such as prepping your 7th grader to take the SAT -- only makes sense if your child is quite gifted.

• 3 weeks later...