Menu

If you were having 25-30 high school students at your house...

what are some activities you'd have for them?

Ds has invited the marching band for a bbq tomorrow from 5-10pm. About 1/3 of the kids are able to come. Food is taken care of (burgers, dogs, girls bringing sides, boys bringing desserts). We have lots of 2liter sodas and water bottles plus paper goods.

One friend is bringing a volleyball net. We have a long and narrow suburban lot that ends at a creek. Kids really can't run around without going onto other properties (we are surrounded by lawn-proud neighbors :tongue_smilie:). Capture the flag might work.

We have Apples to Apples (the band kids like to play), a foosball table and an air hockey table in the walk-out basement.

Any other suggestions?

:001_huh:

Uh - food. Lots of food.

What you have sounds more than adequate. They will probably just want to "hang out" part of the time anyway.

That's what I'm thinking. High school kids are a little too old to want to have activities planned for them in that way lol. They'll figure out something to do, and likely it'll be "hanging out" and talking and eating. I'd have a radio so they can listen to music. You already said one's bringing volleyball. If you want to leave a board game out just in case (you mentioned Apples To Apples) that's great. Nothing else is needed!

ETA: Of course, you could get a bunch of water balloons for them to mess around with, if it's hot out!

Campfire, if you have a spot for it, and marshmallows to roast of course.

Water balloon launcher--a large funnel and surgical rubber tubing is a good time for that age.

If it rains, there's always the Youtube marching band videos. Try search terms like tuba (or trombone) suicide, Pyro's Flamethrower Trombone, and marching band accidents.

Edited by Pippen

We actually do this frequently and have for years - it's really fun and a chance to get to know some great kids:)

I provide lots of finger food - esp desserts and bowls of munchy trail mix, chex mix and m & m's around the house - in addition to frequently a main course type thing (ckn fingers, hamburgers/hot dogs, pizza). I have a couple large tin tubs that I fill with water bottles, juice pkts, and sodas and have extras to throw in when things go low. For the most part the kids tend to congregate in a couple places in our home --the kitchen (for obvious reasons); the screen porch which is off our kitchen, and the basement which has a pool table, fuse-ball table, two TV's, and video games ---believe it or not I also frequently find the girls in our classroom drawing on the boards or on paper. I just let them hang out and do their own things --I keep an eye on things popping in every now and then and of course I have younger ones that lOVE to go hang around and see what everyone is doing. I've had kids over the years from pre-teen up to 21-23 year olds and I've NEVER had a behavior problem bec the kids know what I expect in my home and respect me. When it's nice weather we also have a trampoline, play yard and basketball goal that the kids have enjoyed. Basically though I just provide the space and some "things' and they make the party. I LOVE having a house full of my kids friends and lOVE being the place that kids feel like they can come.

Thanks for the suggestions :) We frequently have band kids over in groups of 10 or so but this is the first time it's open to everyone, from new freshmen to ds's group of seniors. All parents have been invited to stay but I don't know who will---perhaps some of the freshmen parents as they don't know us yet.

I think we should host a large gathering of kids every month or so. Ds spent 8 hours yesterday doing yardwork and cleaning (basement--rearranging mainly, family room, deck) and he says today he'll clean the powder room (!), sweep and vacuum the downstairs and basement, and do some more yardwork! I could have my own "cleaning lady" :lol:

I think we should host a large gathering of kids every month or so. Ds spent 8 hours yesterday doing yardwork and cleaning (basement--rearranging mainly, family room, deck) and he says today he'll clean the powder room (!), sweep and vacuum the downstairs and basement, and do some more yardwork! I could have my own "cleaning lady" :lol:

Perfect! I'd consider throwing monthly parties, too.

The kids will probably figure out what to do, but having a few backup activities and food won't hurt.

Have fun! I love having a lot of kids over, too.

Thanks for the suggestions :) We frequently have band kids over in groups of 10 or so but this is the first time it's open to everyone, from new freshmen to ds's group of seniors. All parents have been invited to stay but I don't know who will---perhaps some of the freshmen parents as they don't know us yet.

You may want to schedule a band get together monthly!!! :D