Menu

Handiwork for boys?

twoxcell

I have a 7 year old boy, and I need some ideas for something he can do in the afternoon to keep him occupied. We generally do school from about 9-2:00ish with some breaks. He does all right during that time even when I'm working with dd1. In the afternoon it is a different story. He does have a Wii, and I let him play some or watch TV, but I do not want him to play for hours. Our yard is small, and it has been very hot lately. There has been a lot of him terrorizing his sisters, and I think he is bored. What do you all do between the hours of 1:30-4:30? My dh thinks he needs some exercise or some kind of projects to do in the afternoons.

What does he like to play with? Indoor stuff my boys have liked: legos, magnetix, k'nex, setting up elaborate towns made up of all different sorts of toys and pieces, setting up elaborate battles with those little plastic green army men, building forts out of cardboard boxes and cushions, playing with puppets, playing with beewax and playdough, cooking simple things like english muffin pizzas, fruit salads, cinnamon toast, etc (making themselves snacks in other words), painting, drawing, listening to audio books, playing with recording devices, taking pictures, playing with science kits, nerf basketball, doing yoga to a kids yoga video, looking at books, playing with marbles. . . . Maybe you just need to strategically place a couple of things around the house that he can find and explore???? Won't his sisters play with him?

My ds is an active boy he likes, running, jumping off furniture(even though it's discouraged), cartwheels, building things(I wish we had legos, but they are expensive), army men, cars, castle toys, anything science related, anything messy, Wii, movies, bike riding, swimming, sports, and he is interested in making things with tools. He doesn't really like to draw, but we are working on that.

He usually doesn't have a problem finding things to do, and yes the girls do play well with him a lot of the time. It seems to mainly be an issue in the afternoon right after school that he tends to get riled up or something. It doesn't help that dd1 is kinda tired at that time and reacts easier, so he tries to antagonize her. I'm thinking it could just be a lack of exercise because it has been so hot here.