Menu

Muscle Memory

DS went to school last year for kindy. For the most part my decision to homeschool wasn't because I thought they did a bad job, just that school is school, and no matter how good a school is, it's still, ya know, school.

BUT, there is one thing I'm really frustrated about. His kindy teacher didn't do any handwriting instruction. I'm not sure if the other classes did, but she believed that it was more important just to get them writing rather than weigh them down with trying to make it look a certain way. Ok, I get that. I used to teach kindy--and we DID teach handwriting--and it was sometimes hard to get the kids to take the risk and just, ya know, write. But that means he spent an entire year practicing bad habits, like starting all his letters at the bottom of the line.

I got the Getty-Dubay Italics handwriting workbooks A & B. We started book A the other day. I can already see that I'm going to have to overcome some deeply ingrained muscle memory OF DOING THE WRONG STROKES. Ugh!

Any tips?

Mine also learned bad habits in ps kindy. I was told "not to worry -they will outgrow it." Well, they don't outgrow it! Do whatever it takes now to correct the bad habits, and feel free to be picky about it. Mine are now going through the Getty-Dubay book for adults to try to correct their bad habits.

I think the best thing to do is to practice handwriting at brief intervals a couple times a day, with you sitting right there to provide instant feedback and correction.

I'll have to try the dot thing. We do some practice on the plain dry erase board. Before we did today's worksheet, I had him do a whole board of straight lines starting at the top and going down.

On the idea of the sandpaper, you know how some velvet/velour has a right direction and a wrong direction? Do you think it would help for him to try "writing" in the nap in the "wrong" direction so that he can feel change? Cuz if he did it on sandpaper, wouldn't it feel pretty much the same both directions? Hmm, except going up he'd probably scrape a finger nail, no?

In addition to texture (salt tray, sandpaper, etc.) I would also suggest large motor movement. At school I like to use a chalkboard (not white board) and have the student write as large as possible in order to develop gross motor movement as they are creating the letters. You can also use a large piece of paper and a crayon (not pen or pencil).

In addition to texture (salt tray, sandpaper, etc.) I would also suggest large motor movement. At school I like to use a chalkboard (not white board) and have the student write as large as possible in order to develop gross motor movement as they are creating the letters. You can also use a large piece of paper and a crayon (not pen or pencil).

Does it work if they chalk on a horizontal surface? Only I don't have a chalkboard large enough to really get "gross" in the motor, ya know?

Thanks!

Sandpaper letters work well b/c of the sensory feedback. They are made with a very fine sandpaper so no need to worry about scratching. They are fairly easy to make, either with sandpaper & 3x5 cards OR just the cards, glue and sand. I recommend re-learning the strokes before pushing any pencil/paper work at all.

I like using verbal cues to help remember the strokes. The Writing Road to Reading has good handwriting instructions in the manual and it's probably sitting on the shelf at your local library.

I found some nice Kumon letter cards. They are tough enough to use as a base for making playdoh letters, and come with a dry-erase marker. They also have dots and stars to help dc remember where to start the letters. My little ones enjoy using those.

How is the grip? You might as well fix any grip issues while you are at it.LOL

The driveway/sidewalk works well.

Dry erase markers work on windows.

:iagree:

Another thought would be to start learning cursive. Totally different so there is no muscle memory. My DD's learned cursive first and did very well. The curves seemed easier than the ball and stick type manuscript.

Sometimes you need to exaggerate the strokes at first to change muscle memory. Starting at the top in a big way may have to come with a big paintbrush, water, and the side of your house. Or you can just do large "air writing".

If you know anyone who has Handwriting without Tears, they have a great catchy tune on the CD about starting at the top. In the old manuals you can find the tune and words even.

Does it work if they chalk on a horizontal surface? Only I don't have a chalkboard large enough to really get "gross" in the motor, ya know?

Thanks!

Sorry I totally missed this message. Yes, chalk on a horizontal surface will work.

Whatever you do, make sure you emphasize shoulder movement and not finger/wrist movement.

Sorry I totally missed this message. Yes, chalk on a horizontal surface will work.

Whatever you do, make sure you emphasize shoulder movement and not finger/wrist movement.

Oh? Can you expand on this? The other day, I was just trying to get him to hold his arm still [while writing with a pencil, I mean] and just move his hand/fingers! oops?

Today I had him paint straight lines down on crinkly butcher paper. Tomorrow or Thursday we're going to do painting water on the wall out back. Then maybe chalk on the driveway. And then maybe the sandpaper letters.

Oh? Can you expand on this? The other day, I was just trying to get him to hold his arm still [while writing with a pencil, I mean] and just move his hand/fingers! oops?

Today I had him paint straight lines down on crinkly butcher paper. Tomorrow or Thursday we're going to do painting water on the wall out back. Then maybe chalk on the driveway. And then maybe the sandpaper letters.

All of those exercises sound great.

When writing with pencil and paper at the table he will not use his whole arm/shoulder.

But, when doing large/gross motor movement exercises, moving his entire arm, from the shoulder to create letters and numbers will help him learn the motions that he needs. The motor memory that is being created through gross motor movement will help his brain/muscles when it is time to use the fine motor skills to create the letters/numbers sitting at the desk with a pencil.

Also, we frequently use gross motor movement to assist with teaching letter sounds -- having the students repeat the letters and the sounds while they are tracing in sand or in large letters on the chalkboard.

I hope that helps and is more clear. Feel free to ask more questions if needed.