Menu

Writing with ease for 5th grader

I'm trying to figure out what level of WWE to start my 5th grade dyslexic daughter on. Her dyslexia is pretty mild, so she performs pretty well. We used K12 curriculum for the past 2 years - it was intense on the writing and I had to sit with her and help her with every single sentence. I want her to be able to coherently put together a paragraph (or even a few paragraphs) without my constant guidance. She is currently using the Barton system to help with reading and writing.

I was thinking of starting her on level 4, but am afraid it might be too hard for her.

Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

i would start with level 3. Level 4 has very long dictations and narration passages. Level 3 will help her ease into the program and if it becomes too easy you can always speed it up a little. My 5th grader is doing level 3. It is challenging for him but he is making progress and learning a lot.

I bought the Strong Fundamentals book to help me with placement for my ds. We worked for several weeks at level 2 before moving to the level 3 workbook. I would see if you can borrow, check out from the library, or invest into the book before purchasing a workbook. WWE has made a big difference in my understanding of writing and ds's ability. I'm glad I didn't just start him in level 3, it would have been frustrating to him and me.

Have you looked at the online samples? There are segments in the online samples, etc., to help you determine placement. I started low for success, and am using WWE 2 right now with my 7th grade son. He was having difficulty with summarizing succintly, and this has helped a lot. We are moving at a fast pace through the book, though, usually doing 2 or 3 days worth of work in each day. I expect we'll easily get through WWE 2 and 3 this year. It's so important to remember that we can flex curriculum to meet our learner's needs...one of the beauties of homeschooling!

I'm trying to figure out what level of WWE to start my 5th grade dyslexic daughter on. Her dyslexia is pretty mild, so she performs pretty well. We used K12 curriculum for the past 2 years - it was intense on the writing and I had to sit with her and help her with every single sentence. I want her to be able to coherently put together a paragraph (or even a few paragraphs) without my constant guidance. She is currently using the Barton system to help with reading and writing.

I was thinking of starting her on level 4, but am afraid it might be too hard for her.

Any thoughts?

I would start with Level 2 because that is where they really start to ask the questions to do summary work, but they are still separating out the skills of dictation and narration. Though are you aware that Susan Barton recommends waiting till after you finish level 4 to start a writing program? The recommendation is due to spelling issues that might creep up. If you do go ahead with WWE just make sure you give her the spelling when ever needed and don't wait for her to spell the word wrong first. Once a child has written a word wrong it tends to get stuck and the child writes it wrong every time.

Heather

Thank you for all your suggestions. I did ask Susan Barton about what other curriculum I should be doing and her recommendation was to only use the Barton system as her full language arts curriculum. I'm hesitant to do that since Barton (up until now) has really only covered spelling issues. My daughter will be starting the Barton level 4 on Tuesday.