Menu

What are your favorite camping meals/foods?

I'm looking for easy meals/foods to make on our camping trip.

Here is what I have so far:

Hot dogs and Chili

S'mores

Eggs, bacon, sausage on the open fire. (YUM!)

I will probably make muffins ahead of time.

So tell me, what are your favorite camping foods? What kinds of things do you make ahead to bring? Recipes are appreciated!

We will be cooking over an open fire that should have a grill. We also have a propane burner if we need it.

Thanks! :001_smile:

With a large family like mine I normally prepare ALL I possibly can at home since that is easier for me. I need fast, easy, delicious, and nutritious if that's possible. I make my own pancake mix and store in a plastic ice cream bucket.

potato salad

macaroni salad

I make loaves of banana, pumpkin, and zucchini bread at home for breakfast.

I chop hotdogs in store in a ziplock container because my kids like them mixed with b-que beans. So I have all that ready to through together.

I make bread too then we have it for french toast for breakfast.

One of the main things I pull together is a big pot of beans. We eat them as soup one night, burritos another night, chili, etc. So just one item I can stretch for several meals.

I brown hamburger at home to throw in casseroles for the campfire to heat up. Tuna sandwiches, tuna casserole is another easy camp meal.

That's all I can think of right now but the main thing is to try to have as much prepared at home while you have the space and utensils so camping is easier.

Taco in a bag [freezer bag for each person, with doritos, taco meat, cheese, lettuce, sour cream. Crush/mix. Eat out of bag with a fork.]

"Hobo" dinners [hamburger patty, cut up potatoes and onions, butter, ketchup, wrapped up in foil and cooked over fire]

I think there was a previous thread on this...

Erica in OR

With a large family like mine I normally prepare ALL I possibly can at home since that is easier for me. I need fast, easy, delicious, and nutritious if that's possible. I make my own pancake mix and store in a plastic ice cream bucket.

potato salad

macaroni salad

I make loaves of banana, pumpkin, and zucchini bread at home for breakfast.

I chop hotdogs in store in a ziplock container because my kids like them mixed with b-que beans. So I have all that ready to through together.

I make bread too then we have it for french toast for breakfast.

One of the main things I pull together is a big pot of beans. We eat them as soup one night, burritos another night, chili, etc. So just one item I can stretch for several meals.

I brown hamburger at home to throw in casseroles for the campfire to heat up. Tuna sandwiches, tuna casserole is another easy camp meal.

That's all I can think of right now but the main thing is to try to have as much prepared at home while you have the space and utensils so camping is easier.

HA! Just got your email/comment! I didn't recognize it was you either! :tongue_smilie: These are great ideas! I never really thought much about preparing most of it at home, but it makes sense. Less work and the food gets done quicker. Thanks for the ideas!

Taco in a bag [freezer bag for each person, with doritos, taco meat, cheese, lettuce, sour cream. Crush/mix. Eat out of bag with a fork.]

"Hobo" dinners [hamburger patty, cut up potatoes and onions, butter, ketchup, wrapped up in foil and cooked over fire]

I think there was a previous thread on this...

Erica in OR

Taco in a bag...my boys will LOVE this! Seems easy too!

I'll search the boards and see what I can find. Thank you! :001_smile:

Oh, how timely... the kiddies and I will be camping (one night) this coming weekend. We only need to "supply" one dinner, breakfast the next morning and one lunch. We're staying in an RV (I know -- not "real" camping, but this is as "real" as it gets with THIS "non-camper" LOL!) that has a cooktop. a microwave and a small fridge.

I went to Trader Joe's and bought packages of precooked shelf-stable brown rice, cans of beef chili, and some Indian Paneer (that will be for me 'cause I love that stuff). For the morning breakfast we'll have muffins (which I always bake ahead of time and freeze -- I have dozens in the freezer b/c we have them every Sunday). Lunch will be peanut butter and jelly.

HTH somewhat. ;)

I was going to say this! But our toppings are SO much more and make sure you cook it over the embers (not fire) for it to cook through but not burn!

Other toppings, gr.peppers, seasonings, italian dressing instead of ketchup, cheese, carrots, etc., etc. :) yum!!!

There are other threads on this from earlier this year and they had a lot of info on them, you might try to look them up

that being said, my hint is to not only cook the food first, but freeze it in bags and you will have less ice mess. Take water filled juice bottles for the cooler, they don't melt everywhere and make the cooler soggy, also when they are melted, they are drinking water!! I love love love dual purpose stuff!!

Lara