Menu

Fun medieval movie recommendations for the first day of school

I would appreciate recommendations for some fun movies set in medieval times for our first day of school. Viewers are 12, 17, and 29(of course, just don't do the math:D). Monty Python and Lion in Winter are scheduled for later. I don't suppose there is anything for the barbarian invasions besides Conan the Barbarian since we are starting with the barbarian invasions.

:bigear::bigear:

I'm not a movie person, but I'm sure someone else would know if there are any good versions of Robin Hood, or perhaps Ivanhoe?

Actually, what might be fun is not so much a movie, but one or more episodes of the BBC mysteries series Caedfel. (I think I just talked myself into that one.)

How about Terry Jones's Barbarians? Not fiction, but just as fun.

Jackie

:iagree: ...if you want a fun documentary about Barbarians.

If you want general middle ages movie, A Knight's Tale would be good. Your dd would like it because of hottie Heath Ledger.

We also LOVED watching BBC's Robinhood and Merlin series as a family.

http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/Robin_Hood_Season_1/70066402?strackid=5703a687b1942169_3_srl&strkid=298717646_3_0&trkid=438381

http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/Merlin_Season_1/70114188?strackid=26f3594bd8f47ec9_0_srl&strkid=332272590_0_0&trkid=438381

In fact, Heath Ledger was in a series called, Roar. I haven't seen it though. http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/Roar_The_Complete_Series/70053076?strackid=5c0b2078b676b695_0_srl&strkid=605430806_0_0&trkid=438381

Ds liked the Worst Jobs in History, but we could only get it on youtube, so it was a quick, fun diversion during the school day. Not a family show.

Also fun, on his own, is Horrible Histories. They have episodes available on BBC's website. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00sp0l8

The last ones aren't movies for the family, but just fun stuff I found towards the end of the year! ;) There are so many options!

Have fun!

These are all great suggestions, but some are not available at our library. Is Netflix my best bet?

Couldn't live without Netflix!! ;) If you have an xbox (and I think PlayStation), you can watch shows, instantly, on tv. There is another way, but I'm not sure what piece of equipment you need.

These are all great suggestions, but some are not available at our library. Is Netflix my best bet?

I know they have Terry Jones's Barbarians (although not for instant streaming). Now that there are so many documentaries available for instant streaming, I find myself getting really impatient and annoyed when I have to wait 2 whole days for my current disks to be returned and the next set of disks to arrive. :tongue_smilie:

Jackie

If you haven't see A Knights Tale before, be aware it's kind of a modern take on the jousting tourneys. The love interest's dresses are more modern & they're dancing to Queen at the festival.

There's a great Ivanhoe that's 6 hrs, but you'll really get the feel for the era. Great for explaining the politics between Richard & John (throwing in mama Elinor too), the position of Jews in the society, & the residual conflicts between Saxon & Norman.

If you haven't see A Knights Tale before, be aware it's kind of a modern take on the jousting tourneys. The love interest's dresses are more modern & they're dancing to Queen at the festival.

There's a great Ivanhoe that's 6 hrs, but you'll really get the feel for the era. Great for explaining the politics between Richard & John (throwing in mama Elinor too), the position of Jews in the society, & the residual conflicts between Saxon & Norman.

:iagree: Knight's Tale is definitely not historically accurate! Just fun. ;)

I tried an historically accurate movie and documentary for the first week of school last year, and it went over ds's head. I found, for my son, it was better to watch the shows AFTER we had learned about the time period or topic. It solidified the information we had gleaned from other sources.

OK, these aren't fun exactly, but knowing what library you use, there is a Schlessinger Media series of DVDs on jobs in the middle ages. Actually, I think my 11 year old watched them for fun, but he's like that. They may be a little young for your kids but who knows.

http://catalog.multcolib.org/search~S21?/sLife+in+the+Middle+Ages+(Schlessinger+Media)/slife+in+the+middle+ages+schlessinger+media/-3,-1,0,B/exact&FF=slife+in+the+middle+ages+schlessinger+media&1,8,

I loved Return of Martin Guerre when I saw it. Wikipedia says it is set in the 16th century. Looks like our library has it. It is sad -- the movie Sommersby is a remake of it.

I also loved the Navigator but it is sort of a weird movie (people escaping the Black Death who end up in modern New zealand). Doesn't look like our library has it but I think netflix does.

My husband and I really liked Les Visiteurs -- very funny, another time travel movie. We saw it in French with English subtitles. I think there's an English remake that isn't as good.

:iagree: Knight's Tale is definitely not historically accurate! Just fun. ;)

I tried an historically accurate movie and documentary for the first week of school last year, and it went over ds's head. I found, for my son, it was better to watch the shows AFTER we had learned about the time period or topic. It solidified the information we had gleaned from other sources.

Lisa, this is a good point. I plan on going over schedules, and some LA first thing for the day and then reviewing the decline of Rome and the barbarian invasions, so I think Terry Jones will be a good option. I have this kind of goofy idea where I am hoping for a rainy day during the second week so we can close the blinds, put a fire in the fire place, light candles, drink cider (for mead) and watch that guy who sings Bewowulf. You know, the almost-true bard experience.:D Of course by that point, Swimmer Dude will have upended my school plans for the year and mom will indeed be drinking mead.:tongue_smilie:

OK, these aren't fun exactly, but knowing what library you use, there is a Schlessinger Media series of DVDs on jobs in the middle ages. Actually, I think my 11 year old watched them for fun, but he's like that. They may be a little young for your kids but who knows.

http://catalog.multcolib.org/search~S21?/sLife+in+the+Middle+Ages+(Schlessinger+Media)/slife+in+the+middle+ages+schlessinger+media/-3,-1,0,B/exact&FF=slife+in+the+middle+ages+schlessinger+media&1,8,

I loved Return of Martin Guerre when I saw it. Wikipedia says it is set in the 16th century. Looks like our library has it. It is sad -- the movie Sommersby is a remake of it.

I also loved the Navigator but it is sort of a weird movie (people escaping the Black Death who end up in modern New zealand). Doesn't look like our library has it but I think netflix does.

My husband and I really liked Les Visiteurs -- very funny, another time travel movie. We saw it in French with English subtitles. I think there's an English remake that isn't as good.

Oh Emily, awesome suggestions for dd. I loved The Return of Martin Guerre. My kids are well-versed in watching movies with subtitles. I probably can't work The King of Hearts or La Cage Aux Folle into her syllabus.:D I will have to check out the Navigator and Les Visiteurs. Date night is coming up and we are cheap, er I mean frugal.

Lisa,

This probably goes better in a recent geography thread I saw, but I saw Les Visiteurs at the Portland International Film Festival. Even when there isn't a film festival going on they (at least used to) have some interesting movies. Your kids seem old enough to enjoy those. I keep waiting til my kids are old enough! Pre-kids I used to buy a pass to the Film Festival and binge on as many movies as I could.

Anyway, might be worth keeping track of their schedule (and are there movies at PSU? I don't get their mailings.) and seeing what works in. I know I've sat through some more challenging movies (that I would have given up on if watching TV) when I've seen them in the movie theatre, even a primitive one on campus. Something about the peer pressure makes it hard to walk out, so I commit more.

Don't forget Paulas Archives http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/movies.htm

The Middle Ages in Europe

For books about this period see Literature to Supplement History.

Crusades

Medieval Siege

Helena: First Pilgrim to the Holy Land

Braveheart (R-rated)

Camelot

Passion of Joan Of Arc; The

Joan Of Arc

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves

Richard II (Shakespeare)

Silk Road

Henry V (MGM)

Lisa,

This probably goes better in a recent geography thread I saw, but I saw Les Visiteurs at the Portland International Film Festival. Even when there isn't a film festival going on they (at least used to) have some interesting movies. Your kids seem old enough to enjoy those. I keep waiting til my kids are old enough! Pre-kids I used to buy a pass to the Film Festival and binge on as many movies as I could.

Anyway, might be worth keeping track of their schedule (and are there movies at PSU? I don't get their mailings.) and seeing what works in. I know I've sat through some more challenging movies (that I would have given up on if watching TV) when I've seen them in the movie theatre, even a primitive one on campus. Something about the peer pressure makes it hard to walk out, so I commit more.

Emily, in ancient times, I used to work for a certain alternative newsweekly. Now that my kids are old enough, there are interests and events that I would like to return, as soon as I remember what they are. Amazing how many brain cells three kids and 20 years can destroy. Good them I am homeschooling and am hopefully recovering some of them.:tongue_smilie: I had forgotten about the Film Festival. I can definitely see some mother-daughter outings in the making. The Teaching Company just sent me an email with different activities in this area. Just one more reason to love TC. Don't the museum and PSU do some brown bag lectures? Too funny about the peer pressure but it's true. I am less likely to walk out of the movie theater than I am to just turn off the DVD player.

Thanks for you great suggestions and I hope the kids enjoy their school year.

Don't forget Paulas Archives http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/movies.htm

The Middle Ages in Europe

For books about this period see Literature to Supplement History.

Crusades

Medieval Siege

Helena: First Pilgrim to the Holy Land

Braveheart (R-rated)

Camelot

Passion of Joan Of Arc; The

Joan Of Arc

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves

Richard II (Shakespeare)

Silk Road

Henry V (MGM)

Great resource, Michelle! I especially want to check out Silk Road and some others I found including: El Cid, Kingdom of Heaven, Red Cliff and Alexander Nevsky.