Menu

Looking for a kitchen table that extends. Any great suggestions?

We need a new kitchen table, and I'm looking for an affordable one that seats 6, but extends to seat 8. We like light-medium wood color and Shaker or Mission style. Do they exist for $1,000 or less, chairs included? Please say yes!

Does anyone have any great ideas for where to look? I'd love to start online, but I've tried and my eyes are beginning to cross! ;) I just hate wandering around furniture stores!

Thanks in advance!

I strongly suggest trying local antique stores. See if you can find a nice oval dropleaf table with extra leaves in the middle. They are amazingly versatile. I have an old walnut one that I just love. It came with three 15 inch leaves, and pulls out so far that I could have another one made and it would fit as well.

Then buy chairs at Ikea--they have comfortable chairs that are not terribly expensive. I have some Henriksdal chairs that I just love. They are sturdy and comfortable and versatile. And they have seat covers that come off to wash! They stick back on with Velcro, and honestly you can't tell that they are not upholstered. I have them in Kunsvik Sand--chair and cover for $80.

Have you checked Sam's Club? We bought our table there. It's counter height, which I love. It seats 8 fairly comfortably with the leaf up. It slides inside if we wanted our table to be smaller though. We paid about $800 for it. :-)

I haven't checked there, but that's a great idea. Were 8 chairs included in the price?

Thanks!

We love our IKEA table. Seats our family of 7 easily and extends to 10 or more.

I think it was $400 two years ago. It's light wood - ash or something.

I have no idea what the name is at this point, so you would have to look at their catalog. But it is very plain - which I love

Jen

Thank you, Jen! I'll look into IKEA. I've heard so much about it and never even checked it out online.

IKEA's shipping fees are horrendous. BUT. There are two IKEA's in the Chicago area. To get to Chicago you'll have to come right through my city. And, if you do that, you'll have to stop and have lunch with me. And, then I'll tag along with you to IKEA. :D

Yep, I agree with pps, Ikea. The one in Atlanta doesn't ship. You have to actually go to the store but apparently there are two in your area so you are set. By the way, if you have never been before, you need to prepare yourself. There is no such thing as a quick stroll through an Ikea store. You need to set aside at least half a day and wear some hood walking shoes. If you can get your hands on a catalog ahead of time that might give you and idea of what you want to look at but really you are going to want to look at everything.

IKEA's shipping fees are horrendous. BUT. There are two IKEA's in the Chicago area. To get to Chicago you'll have to come right through my city. And, if you do that, you'll have to stop and have lunch with me. And, then I'll tag along with you to IKEA. :D

Oh, wow! Could I get so lucky? :001_smile:

I looked on the IKEA site last night and found some things I liked, but it's so hard to *really* tell online. One thing I wasn't sure we'd like is that the seat bottoms looked completely flat--no contouring at all. I don't want cushions or upholstery, so I think I need a molded seat bottom.

I don't like shopping.

I second Sam's or Costco. Not a whole lot of selection, but if you like what they have, you can really score. That would be my first stop to rule out the obvious.

Barb

I haven't checked there yet--can't wait to see what they have! Thanks!

IKEA

We got a beautiful, simple table made of real light colored wood. At its smallest it seats 6 comfortably, plus it has an insert the stores underneath. I think we paid about $200 for the table and 4 chairs.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/search/?query=dining+table&category=products&min_price=0&max_price=250&sorting=relevance

Thanks for the link! I'll check it out and see about the seat bottom issue!

Yep, I agree with pps, Ikea. The one in Atlanta doesn't ship. You have to actually go to the store but apparently there are two in your area so you are set. By the way, if you have never been before, you need to prepare yourself. There is no such thing as a quick stroll through an Ikea store. You need to set aside at least half a day and wear some hood walking shoes. If you can get your hands on a catalog ahead of time that might give you and idea of what you want to look at but really you are going to want to look at everything.

I have IKEA here??? Really??? Why did I not know that??? May I have your permission to cancel today's chiropractor appts, haircut, lunch w/friends, and baseball game??? Furniture shopping is WAY more important!

We've had a Canadel table for almost a decade now and it has been a wonderful table. The chairs are as sturdy as they were when we bought it--and that's saying a lot since we have three little boys! When you order a Canadel, you get to pick which table top, which legs, color, chair style, etc. Very customized, very reasonable price.

Yes, I need sturdy w/my gang of young men! Thanks for the link!