Menu

My pug has a cold! any advice?

I am no expert although I have owned many dogs and cats in the last 29 years. DOgs and cats don't get our colds. What seems to be a cold in a dog or cat is often something that can be treated by a vet. A website that I just checked said if your dog is a puppy or a senior, you need to take to the veterinarian. IF not, you can wait a few days and see if it is better. Most dog respiratory diseases are ones that vaccines take care of. One of the kinds isn't completely taken care of by vaccines but a shot can make your dog better. The danger is pneumonia or other more serious complications.

How hot is it where you are? Congestion in brachy breeds is sometimes a sign of heat intolerance....

though the goopy eye makes me think more of allergy or infection

how long has it been going on? have you been to the vet?

It started last night, recently it's been a lot cooler so the dogs have been outside more. I haven't gone to the vet yet, as it just started and she about a year and really healthy normally.

She's looking pretty miserable though, any ideas on canine antihistimines. I have equine and people on hand, but I have axcess to a veterinary pharmacutical company.

no! Dogs are not little people. Please see the vet!

Ummm, I have to say I trust my friend! She has her bachelors in veterinary science and her master in some sort of pharma-biochemistry. She helps in the design, distribution and quality contol of an international company.

She knows how the drugs are made on the chemical level, where they are not similar, and what I can and can not use. She can also tell me the difference in hourly doses between animals and humans with the same compound, which are not acceptable between different species and all that :)

Thank you, for your concern as I know that's where it stems from :)

The only thing is that dog allergies only rarely manifest themselves as respiratory symptoms like eye gook and congestion. More commonly they have itching problems and sometimes gastro or coughing.

Look up dog colds on the internet. Then you may decide to take her to the vet.

Thanks! I have...if there is no improvement thru the day, I will take her to my vet friend. He just knows that I've been working with animals long enough, and have enough connections, not to run to him till I'm out of my league :) Plus, my friend at the pharam company worked for him before finishing her undergrad, so were all pretty connected.

I just knew that there are some wonderfully wise people on here as well! and a variety of opinions doesn't hurt :)

Benadryl is fine to give to dogs at the dose your friend recommended however it rarely does much for allergies. Some dogs respond to antihistamines but most need other management or meds. I agree with Chris that most allergies are manifested as skin and ear problems, not goopy eyes, but I have had that happen in a few patients. Runny eyes can be an indication of other things like an upper respiratory infection, some kind of systemic illness, plugged nasolacrimal ducts, or something like keratoconjunctivitis sicca (KCS or dry eye). If your pug does not improve over the next day or so I would recommend seeing your regular vet.

Soph

(a vet :D)

Benadryl is fine to give to dogs at the dose your friend recommended however it rarely does much for allergies. Some dogs respond to antihistamines but most need other management or meds. I agree with Chris that most allergies are manifested as skin and ear problems, not goopy eyes, but I have had that happen in a few patients. Runny eyes can be an indication of other things like an upper respiratory infection, some kind of systemic illness, plugged nasolacrimal ducts, or something like keratoconjunctivitis sicca (KCS or dry eye). If your pug does not improve over the next day or so I would recommend seeing your regular vet.

Soph

(a vet :D)

That's the plan!!!! She has had some skin stuff making me suspect allergies, but we will monitor her closely...as she is well loved!!! :D

Are any weed/seed heads shattering in your area? Around here, our dogs and sheep would start showing respiratory problems and eye problems when the weeds began to go to seed. Not because they were allergic per say, but because their heads were right at the height of the weeds and they inhaled enough of the small bits to irritate their nasal passages and get bits in their eyes.

If it has just cooled off in your area, perhaps your pug was enjoying the freedom and ran into some fuzzy or fluffy stuff that caused irritation.

PS: We have a pug also, but a fawn colored one.