Menu

What to do? Kitty peeing in my house plant

We have a really big house plant that is well kept and we've been growing and nurturing for the past 10 years. For the last several months kitty would sleep on top of the dirt, which I thought was a good sign, since kitty wouldn't sleep where he's peeing, right? (maybe? :001_huh:)

Well, this morning was the second time we've caught kitty peeing in the plant :glare:. Not sure how many other times this has happened. Sigh. I don't really understand cats nor why he would be doing this. I also don't know how to make him stop and if I'll ever be able to get that smell out of the house plant dirt. :( It's a huge, heavy plant and dh is scared to risk killing it by shaking out all the dirt, etc. Last time we transplanted it to a bigger pot, it barely survived (apparently it's picky too :glare:)

What to do? Also, would kitty just be "spraying" (he's neutered, we did so as soon as his parts descended) instead of peeing? But it's an awful lot of liquid coming out. Again, I don't know much about cats and am starting to regret my lack of knowledge. :sad:

to stop him, put something on top of the soil

- aluminum foil

-gravel

-pine cones - something prickly & uncomfortable. Aluminum foil is cheap & a good place to start. Cats don't like to walk on it.

Or put something around the rim of the pot - double sided carpet tape

Often recommended to get a vet check as it can be a sign of stones or other urinary probs.

But cats also do this due to stress. I looked after a siamese who was very unhappy with his owners going away & all the turmoil in his life & he watered my houseplant pretty regularly. Poor guy - he was just upset.

So consider sources of stress.

Consider whether you cat has enough recreation. Need new toys? Big tall scratching post trees with hidey holes? Enough play time?

Consider using a feliway plug in. It's a pheromone to calm cats down. Expensive though & only lasts about a month but it would give you an idea of whether it's stress related.

Get crazy about cleaning litter boxes. At least daily. & consider getting another box.

Tons of great info here, http://www.catinfo.org/?link=litterbox including on inappropriate elimination.

GL!

I think they just like the dirt more than kitty litter.

Aluminum foil works great. Just put some over all of the dirt, spread out or balled up.

You may need to change some or all of the dirt if you didn't catch the peeing for a lot of days.

Sounds like a visit to the vet may be in order. If this has just started it may be at UTI or kidney problem.

It may also be nothing more than he does not like his litter. Has the brand been changed lately? How clean is his box? Have you emptied it, scrubbed it down and filled with new litter all the way around lately? Even though it clumps, that scoopable little needs to be changed out periodically.

The other suggestions to put foil and/or double-sided sticky tape in and around the planter are good ideas.

Get crazy about cleaning litter boxes. At least daily. & consider getting another box.

!

This is how we got one of our cats...her former owner took her to the animal shelter because his teen wasn't doing a good job keeping the litterbox clean and the cat started going in the man's houseplant. He threw her out of the house and then didn't want her when she returned pregnant.

We've had her for six years and she always uses her box.

Have you by any chance changed the type of kitty litter you're using and the cat doesn't like the way it feels or smells? If he's declawed you might need to use a kitty litter that's softer, like dirt, in case his current litter hurts his feet. Do you have a covered litter box...some cats don't like those.

Cats like to pee in dirt. It probably isn't an indication of anything other than good instinct. They can't distinguish between a box of dirt and a box of litter. My cat goes outside and pees in dirt partches in the field behind our house AND still uses her litter box inside. If your cat is peeing on the carpet or not in dirt that could be an indication of a problem.

Change out the soil. Cut a peice of chicken wire to fit over the top of the planter.

I think they just like the dirt more than kitty litter.

Aluminum foil works great. Just put some over all of the dirt, spread out or balled up.

You may need to change some or all of the dirt if you didn't catch the peeing for a lot of days.

Dh did this at lunch- put the foil at the base of the plant and when we returned home around 5pm, there was a big yellow puddle on top of the foil. :glare:

Sigh. Does this mean we have to bring him in to the vet or is he just insistent on peeing in that plant? :confused: His access to most of the house is very limited and we only have a 3x3 patch of carpet and he's not peeing on the carpet or anywhere else that I can tell.- I would smell it, no? :confused:

Aaaaaa. :willy_nilly: What to do ladies?

I'd pop him in to the vet, just to make sure, mostly because you have such an easy way to collect the urine sample :lol:

Honestly, that's the biggest pita with cats & vet exams for urine issues. I have a special ladle for my cat & I have to stalk her. She hates it & tries to wait as long as she possibly can :D

So if it were me, I'd clean that up (because you want a fresh sample) and the next time you can get fresh, pour it in a clean jar & take it the vet's office ASAP. Pay for the urine analysis right away & book your appointment for the next day or two by which time they'll have your results & you can have the vet examine the cat.

Just in case it is stones or an infection.......

& then I'd ditto the chicken wire on the plant pot & maybe put a new litter box right beside the plant. ('cause that's such a nice accent piece in any room :tongue_smilie:)

This is how we got one of our cats...her former owner took her to the animal shelter because his teen wasn't doing a good job keeping the litterbox clean and the cat started going in the man's houseplant. He threw her out of the house and then didn't want her when she returned pregnant.

I think this story, transposed to humans, might make the short list for the Man Booker Prize.

If tinfoil didn't daunt him, spikes. Build up the sides with tinfoil so it can't get over. Sounds like this cat is California Dreamin'.

Years ago, when I had that problem, I simply put a layer of holly leaves over the dirt. Problem solved!

The same cat also had a strange urge to pee on the bowl of fruit we'd have sitting out on the dining room table--oranges, apples, bananas--things we could grab for a quick snack. Obviously, we had to quit with the bowl of fruit. He was such a good kitty; it was just this little quirk that we had to accommodate. A really gross quirk, but in the scheme of things, just a little quirk.

Here's another way to approach problem peeing. Once upon a time I had a cat who would jump up and pee on the kitchen counter (we had too many cats back then, so I didn't feel like I could really blame the cat). I started putting strips of packing tape, sticky side up on the counter. A couple of times getting all wrapped up in sticky tape, ended that cat's interest in jumping on the counter.

I think this story, transposed to humans, might make the short list for the Man Booker Prize.

If tinfoil didn't daunt him, spikes. Build up the sides with tinfoil so it can't get over. Sounds like this cat is California Dreamin'.

The cat jumps from the railing beside the plant down into the pot. :glare: There's nowhere else to put the plant as it's 6' tall so there's no way of stopping the cat from getting into it. I've had this plant for over 15 years and I'm not going to part with it... I hope kitty doesn't kill it. :(

Kitty just peed again. On the foil. :willy_nilly:

I called the vet but they don't want to see him if it's just the plant he's going in. She was pretty shocked he's peeing on the foil. :glare: We're going to get rocks and pinecones today and see if that makes a difference.

HornBlower, I'll look into stressors in kitty's life, but really, he leads the ideal life. He's played with lots, tons of toys, lots of spaces for him to get personal time, good grain-free food, clean litter box.

Years ago, when I had that problem, I simply put a layer of holly leaves over the dirt. Problem solved!

Oh, holly leaves are a good idea. Are they safe to have around with kids? I think it's just the berries but I don't know plants that well. :o I fear kitty will just paw them out of the way. He seems to be a determined little guy.

You might try criss-crossing heavy double sided tape all across the top of the planter. Also, I'm not sure I'm remembering correctly, but I think cats don't like cloves or clove oil - one of the main ingredients in those cat-off sprays. If you didn't change the dirt, he's not likely to stop. If you don't plan on changing the dirt, at least pour some nature's miracle or the like on it. Good luck.