Menu

Lives of the Great Artists $4.94 (free shipping) at Amazon

Nestof3

Edit: I received mine just now. It is fantastic! There are some images that are 8x10! It has a nice timeline at the front.

Warnings: There is a scene Judith beheading Holofernes. A picture of a murder. And a few breasts.

I highly recommend this book!

This book received one great review and one negative (the negative for violence in paintings). I tend to cover up images I don't want my children to see with mailing labels or temporarily with index cards pieces and removable tape. Mine comes today, so I will let you know what I think of it when it comes.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0500238537/ref=oss_product

Through the pages of this book, young readers step into a famous artist's studio in medieval Germany, Renaissance Italy, or nineteenth-century France. As the making of a particular work is described, the child smells the paint, hears the chisel chipping into marble, or experiences the wonders of a working printing press.

The twenty artists are featured in easy-to-follow chronological order: Giotto, Leonardo da Vinci, Albrecht Dürer, Michelangelo, Raphael, Titian, Hans Holbein the Younger, El Greco, Caravaggio, Artemisia Gentileschi, Bernini, Velázquez, Rembrandt, Goya, Jacques-Louis David, Turner, Delacroix, Manet, Monet, and van Gogh. All have remarkable life stories that will entrance any child.

Edited by nestof3

That negative review does not sound good for children. Unless the whole page can be torn without losing something else.

I completely understand being cautious about things like this. I have many stickered books around my house. LOL

I am impressed with the book because it mentions artists that aren't exactly mainstream for children's books, and it really does have nice information and a great sampling for each artist. For those who are concerned about the images mentioned below, I have found that mailing label stickers can serve as permanent censoring while index cards taped on with removable tape can help with borrowed books or books you plan to resell.

The following is a list of artists covered and possible objections.

Total # of pages = 79

Artist covered:

Giotto

Leonardo da Vinci

Albrecht Durer

(Adam and Eve -- naked except for fig leaves)

Michelangelo

(Creation of Adam; scuplture of David -- male nudity)

Raphael

Titian

(Bacchus and Ariadne -- part of breast showing)

Hans Holbien the Younger

El Greco

Caravaggio

Artemesia Gentileschi

(Judith Slaying Holofernes -- blood/violence; Madonna and Child -- part of breast exposed while breastfeeding)

Gian Lorenzo Bernini

Diego Velazquez

Rembrandt

Francisco de Goya

(The Third of May -- portrays executions that took place in Madrid after the French invaded Spain)

Jacques-Louis David

(The Death of Marat -- journalist Jean-Paul Marat was killed by someone opposing him in the French Revolution; blood)

J. M. W. Turner

Eugene Delacroix

(you could adhere these pages together to ignore his images completely -- disturbing for young children; violence, blood)

Edouard Manet

Claude Monet

Vincent van Gogh

Edited by nestof3

It will arrive on Saturday. Today my Da Vinci box came. Yesterday the inexpensive calendars. :)

I won't be covering anything up. My daughter isn't as sensitive as some children. And breastfeeding is natural and beautiful and I wouldn't want my daughter thinking it's a shameful act.

By wasting time browsing through Amazon. Pathetic huh?

Seriously, I've been a planning maniac all summer, and I've been nearly on strike these last few days just hanging out. :lol:

After no enthusiasm over Pioneer Woman's Chicken with Lemon pasta, side salad and oranges and grapes, I am very close to passing out TV dinners tonight.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/07/grilled-chicken-with-lemon-basil-pasta/

PS -- I did use spinach instead of fresh basil, added carrots, used mozzarella instead of romano, and half/half and 1% milk in place of the cream.

Yes, I actually squeezed three fresh lemons -- I've never done that before.

But, I thought it was great. :tongue_smilie:

Thanks! I just ordered this. I also ordered the Good Masters! Sweet Ladies! book from another post. Love it.

How do you find all these great deals on such great books?

By wasting time browsing through Amazon. Pathetic huh?

Totally pathetic.

And greatly appreciated by those of us who don't have the items in the cart to watch shipping changes (dratted Oxford Ancient Times series isn't budging). :D

Or cursed for having to figure out where to put another book in this house... Clearly we must move. I need another room for a library.

Thanks again!