Menu

Worldly Wise 3000

guateangel

I purchased this workbook (book 2)from a garage sale for really cheap. After getting it home and reviewing it, I'm wondering if it's just busy work? The words look fairly simple for a 2nd grader....calf, claw, flap, couple....(maybe she would need book 3?)

Would love your opinions and advice on how to use it, also. Do you cut out the word definitions, have your child study for a day or so and then move on to the exercises? Do you do 1 exercise a day? How often do you use the book? Did you see an increase in your childs' vocabulary and understanding of words? Just curious if this is something beneficial or shelve it?

Thanks! :)

I didn't use it with a second grader and I don't think I would. However, I do like WW.

Here is what we get from it:

Ds has a great vocabulary from reading so much. He often learns alternate definitions of words that he didn't know. He is also not good at picking out inferred meaning from a story which is practiced in Lesson E in the books we have used. He does WW 4 days/week and completes a chapter each week. He is in 8th grade and almost finished with book 8 and will do book 9 this year.

I started my dd on WW for the first time this year. She does one lesson/day 4 days/week which means it takes just over a week to finish each Chapter. So far, I'd have to say she hates it:lol:. She does not have an impressive vocabulary and book 6 is challenging for her. I'm going to give it more time before I decide if she is learning anything.

We used WW for far too long and yes, in the end, it was definitely just busy work for us. I would not use it again and will not be using it for ds.

We now prefer Vocab from Classical Roots as well as Red Hot Root Words. Both these programs teach word parts - so the program simply makes more sense - it's more systematic and organized.

We love WW, but we haven't used it for the lower levels. It is a great SAT prep program in my opinion. In addition to that we use Vocabulary Vine which also helps with SAT prep.

I guess it would be busy work if one just hands it to their student and says, "Here, do this." However, if it is discussed and reviewed it is a very valuable resource.