Menu

aw crap, I forgot all about cursive

mindygz

My own cursive writing stopped right after 5th grade, when it was no longer required. I stink at it. Zion is interested, though. What is the cheapest, easiest way for her to learn it? She enthusiastically learned how to write her first name last year and she's very artistic, so I think she'll pick up on it quickly. I obviously am useless as a model, because my cursive is really that bad.

Suggestions?

My daughter is using A Reason for Handwriting to learn cursive and she's coming along really well for it. It's a $10 workbook. She really likes that it's colorful and there's a page for her color and to write a bible verse at the end of the week using the words she's been practicing.

Lisa

If you aren't opposed to buying something else I recommend Peterson Directed. It starts right at the foundation of good posture and grip. Heck, my handwriting improved by leaps and bounds because I worked through it as well.

I'm always a little puzzled as to why it doesn't get more love of these boards. I think it's one of the real gems in homeschooling programs.

I just bought this (on CurrClick) for DS1 to use about mid year (or earlier if he wants). He's a nature nut, so I think it will be great and it is quite beautiful. I can use it for all the kiddos, so it is a great deal. The company has other types of cursive books too, in case nature isn't your thing.

Another one that is recommended is Queen's Cursive...I probably would have gone with it had I not found this one.

In the title, the "c" word.

I think she meant crap :confused:?

LOL. Reminds me of when 6yos run up to my husband at school and say, "Oooh, so-in-so said the S-word!" He usually replies, "Which S-word?" They say, "Stupid!" :lol:

Well, yeah, I did. You know what it means, right? You wouldn't use the word sh*t in polite company, and this has the same meaning. When we have to talk about those kinds of things on this board, we use euphemisms like poo, but not a rough word. It's something I normally never hear, and it shocks me a LOT when I do hear it.

Well, yeah, I did. You know what it means, right? You wouldn't use the word sh*t in polite company, and this has the same meaning. When we have to talk about those kinds of things on this board, we use euphemisms like poo, but not a rough word. It's something I normally never hear, and it shocks me a LOT when I do hear it.

Actually in polite company, I wouldn't correct a person's use of slang.

Um, yeah, I know what it means. It doesn't bother me, though, when used to express frustration (it was my Dad's choice word when he needed to express frustration around me and my brother), anymore than an adult saying "Aw, poo". I guess since it's not an actual swear word (like sh*t), it never would've crossed my mind to actually give a polite reprimand to someone over it's use on an adult board. The word fart drives me bonkers, I hate it, it makes my skin crawl, it gave me the willies to type it, I don't allow my kids to use it, so I do understand a strong aversion to a non-cuss word, but I personally wouldn't ever ask someone on this board to not use it :).

Peterson Directed is what I will go with if we need more. (Phonics Road has it included).

As for the other topic, well... as a hillbilly from KY that word is used all of the time to mean anything... even just "stuff", but my DH thought it was a swear word, so I shocked him quite a bit.:tongue_smilie:

My little guy told me last night that the "s" word was for "spanking." Whew! I'm not sure what possessed me to ask what he thought the "s" word was!

Back to cursive...is Peterson Directed appropriate for younger kids (K) learning cursive like Cursive First or New American Cursive?

I don't see it recommended much on this board, but we have loved Cursive Connections. You can get it at Rainbow Resource. It's so simple to use, and it teaches letter formation on each page. My son's handwriting is so beautiful after using this.

We are on our second book because a friend gave it to us, but he doesn't really need it. I just have him do one row a day for practice. Really, that's all I think most children need. For me, I'd rather one really well done line, than a whole page done done rushed or with disdain.

Dee :)

http://rainbowresource.com/product/Cursive+Connections+-+Modern+Style+Book+A/037609/1282837074-1782355

We used the Modern book (green) and are now on the traditional, but the only difference is that the modern is more for teaching and has less loops. My son is loving more loops now added on with the yellow traditional book.

Edited by deeinfl
adding information

We use the Rod and Staff penmanship. They start cursive midway through 2nd grade after "slant" writing. It is pretty fancy cursive. More frilly than I was taught, buy my dd8 loves it and does it independently. And her writing is gorgeous. She was one that really wanted to learn cursive also. She was SO looking forward to it all last year.

It does have a T.M. that I purchased w/the 2nd grade book to understand what they were asking for when they began introducing different strokes before the actual letters. I did not find it necessary for the 3rd grade since we are now familiar w/the program. (and honestly I used it very little last year)

I've made our own with a website in my Favorites on another computer I can't get to. ;) Together we choose passages from her reading for copywork/dictaion/handwriting practice. We started with a D'nealian workbook, but she finds using book passages far more interesting. She also worked in a Queens handwriting book a couple of years ago that she enjoyed. It was the art one, which was very nice.

Edited by LibraryLover

Sh*t is a perfectly good word. Very biblical. Paul himself used it in Philippians 3:8. :)

I think crap is one of those words that's in the middle of the spectrum, between sh*t and poo. One I probably wouldn't use in polite company but not one I'd be bothered by if someone else used it.

I can't believe I'm constructing a scatological scale! :D

Sh*t is a perfectly good word. Very biblical. Paul himself used it in Philippians 3:8. :)

I almost brought this up myself...

I didn't realize some people found the cr@* word offensive. I think I used it myself on this board the other day. I apologize to any I may have inadvertantly offended and I will refrain from using it in the future. (if I remember...)

For cursive:

I make my own handwriting sheets from StartWrite's software. I usually just have my kids copy Bible verses. Two birds with one stone and all that...

I have a feeling cursive is a lost cause with my family. My dh and I never managed decent cursive. :tongue_smilie:

I looked up the Peterson Directed, but I'm having trouble figuring out what I would need to order. I have a second grader who needs it. And I have a fifth grader that needs to learn cursive, also, she wasn't taught when she was in 3rd grade in PS. Did you order their kits?

We used Cursive first and my daughter really had a hard time catching on. I am horrible at writing in cursive too though so I think that was part of the problem. I may try some of the other suggestions on this thread.

As for the word .... That reminds me that earlier this week I was Reading the "Aesop for Children" and the words "ass and cock" are used in several of the stories. It kinda made me sad that I had to go through and explain to my children what these words mean and that they also have a bad meaning (did not tell them what). I just asked them to not say the words but to instead say Donkey and Rooster when talking about the animals. I don't want the poor darlings to shock some person in the library when discussing animals. :lol:

I looked up the Peterson Directed, but I'm having trouble figuring out what I would need to order. I have a second grader who needs it. And I have a fifth grader that needs to learn cursive, also, she wasn't taught when she was in 3rd grade in PS. Did you order their kits?

I ordered Kindergarten and I think Grade 4. I'll check on that for you and get back to you.

My my Mindy, you do draw some ornery folks from the hive. But, anyway, I'd have you go FREE to donnayoung.org and work with her handwriting suggestions. I've used the Reason for Handwriting books, but decided to go O NAtural for handwriting this year. Enjoy it and encourage junior to write no matter what.

As for the word .... That reminds me that earlier this week I was Reading the "Aesop for Children" and the words "ass and cock" are used in several of the stories. It kinda made me sad that I had to go through and explain to my children what these words mean and that they also have a bad meaning (did not tell them what). I just asked them to not say the words but to instead say Donkey and Rooster when talking about the animals. I don't want the poor darlings to shock some person in the library when discussing animals. :lol:

:lol::w00t:That is soooo funny cause I skipped that story all together last year. As for the cr@p word.... that ranks about as harmless to my ears and eyes as d a r n. I do however apologize for any slip ups that may have done in the past.:001_smile:

Sincerely,

Penny

My my Mindy, you do draw some ornery folks from the hive. But, anyway, I'd have you go FREE to donnayoung.org and work with her handwriting suggestions. I've used the Reason for Handwriting books, but decided to go O NAtural for handwriting this year. Enjoy it and encourage junior to write no matter what.
Wow! There is some great stuff there.

I think crap is one of those words that's in the middle of the spectrum, between sh*t and poo. One I probably wouldn't use in polite company but not one I'd be bothered by if someone else used it.

I can't believe I'm constructing a scatological scale! :D

hahahaha!!!

Though I agree with your scale, FWIW. ;)

Thanks so much for all the suggestions! I think I will try the Donna Young and the Jan Brett for now, because it doesn't require me to go anywhere or buy anything! Win-win, for me. :D

And I probably wouldn't have used the cr@p word if I'd have gotten a decent night's sleep anytime in the last week. Hooray for sick babies, right? But it captured my frustration accurately, and I didn't have presence of mind to think of a more elevated expression. ;)

How about apcray?

Busting up here! :lol:

eta: Coming from a family where my mom, grandma, and aunts would all put a "sailor to shame" it is a struggle for me to not use these shocking swear words myself. I feel a victory when I can just say cr*p during stressful times! :) Hopefully, I can even do better than that someday, especially for my children's sake.

Edited by mommyjen

I just bought this (on CurrClick) for DS1 to use about mid year (or earlier if he wants). He's a nature nut, so I think it will be great and it is quite beautiful. I can use it for all the kiddos, so it is a great deal. The company has other types of cursive books too, in case nature isn't your thing.

Another one that is recommended is Queen's Cursive...I probably would have gone with it had I not found this one.

Thanks for sharing this link. I think this would be perfect for my boys!