Menu

Sooooo, I just looked through my new SL language...

Blueridge

...and I am not too crazy about it so far. Does anyone here use it and like it? It's a real departure from R&S. I have 2 weeks before we begin and I am not happy. :glare:

I am using SL LA2adv alongside MCT Island with my 2nd grader. We are completing week 5. We are not doing the day 5 writing assignments or Wordly Wise, but we are using the optional Plaid Phonics Level D Word Study. We are also doing a handwriting program.

Thus far, I like the combo. I enjoy having the literature all laid out, because ds needs a schedule for me to point at or he tries to negotiate less reading. I like having copywork/ dictation that is relevant to what he is reading. The little application lesson is also nice. I like this combo enough to already be considering doing it again next year (SL LA3+4 with MCT Town).

SL5 and 6 have optional grammar sheets schedules, but doesn't SL suggest adding Grammar Ace or Winston Grammar Basic in grades 3 or 4 if you want additional grammar?

HTH-

Mandy

I had to return LA 2 Adv last year after using it for 12 weeks. I just had too many days where I felt like, "Huh?" It seemed so vague. I got MCT after I returned SL LA.

I bought LA K and LA1 for my 6yo last year, and neither one worked, but I didn't want to return them until it was too late. Now, I am using SL LA K with my 5yo, and it's a pretty nice fit. I have LA1 sitting on my shelf, and I may try to use it with him next year, but it wouldn't be my primary program, and I would feel free to ignore most of their assignments that I don't like. It's too heavy on writing, and too slow-moving on reading for my kids.

I got the Core 3 LA, and I knew the minute I saw it, it wouldn't work for us. We are sticking with R&S.

BTW, does anyone want the Core 3 LA for the price of shipping? Would love for someone to have it that will use it. It does have some writing on it for the first few weeks of the lesson plans, and I think some pencil marks on the student sheets, but still very usable! PM me if interested.

I'm another that didn't care for the SL LA. LA is not my strong point and I needed more instruction on how to teach my children the writing assignments. The assignments looked good and were creative. I liked that they were from the reading. The dictation didn't always tell you why, for example, you needed a comma in a certain place. I needed to know so I could teach my children So, we went with MCT & R&S and it's good combo for us. R&S is dry but it's systematic (or teaches things in a logical order that makes sense to me and doesn't bounce around different topics), explains well the grammar rules, and I know my kids will get what they need. I'm learning too.

If you are not ready to ditch what you've bought, try it for a few weeks to see how it goes. If it doesn't work, go back to R&S.

Wishing you success in your journey!

Thanks. I'm looking through more of the lessons this afternoon to see how they look to me. I just hate to start the year with something I'm unsure of, and then after a month tell the girls that mom has made another mistake in her curriculum choices. :glare: Thankfully I have Grammar Ace (bought it a few years ago and it was too young for my older, so it's new) and R&S on the shelf to fall back on! I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who thinks the SL language is :tongue_smilie:!