Menu

Nutella

How do you pronounce Nutella?  

1. 1. How do you pronounce Nutella?

• Nut-ella
    • New-tella
    • Other

In the Bronx, where it is served often, it is pronounced Nuh-tella. They also call capricola "gabagool" so take it for what it's worth. :lol:

And mugh-zarell and rigot cheese. I always want to say, "LOOK! The 'a' is right there on the package!" Friends tell me it's us that have muddled the Italian with inaccurate spelling.

Nuh-tella

definitely not "new-tella" -- but not really the first either..

more like "nuh-TELLA"

It's called that because it's hazelnut flavored, right? I always assumed the nut reference would remain.

:iagree:

It's interesting that it's supposed to be the other way, though. :)

And mugh-zarell and rigot cheese. I always want to say, "LOOK! The 'a' is right there on the package!" Friends tell me it's us that have muddled the Italian with inaccurate spelling.

It's that the words are spelled as you'd say them in standard (Tuscan) Italian. They're pronounced as they are in a Southern dialect that replaces c with g and drops the ending syllable.

And I vote newtella, but I haven't seen the American ad.

I pronounce it "loveofmylifethatIcannotlivewithout". :D:D:D:D

Your recent posts propmted me to go buy myself a jar. It's been a few years since I had any. :eek:

It's been a rough week. But at least I have the jar of Nutella and a spoon for consolation. ;)

In Europe (from whence it comes) it is New-tella, at least according to the commercials. :)

Thank you! We first had it in Europe as well. I was beginning to feel quite foolish calling it new-tella after seeing all the nuh-tellas.

The differences in pronunciation remind me of American foods in Catalan - Ruffles (potato chips) are pronounced rrrroo-flays and a friend pronounced pancakes as pon-kay-kays!

:iagree:That's how I felt after reading the first response. Duh.... Another false vote for #1. Put me down for other.

No no no. I'm assuming that Nut-ella and Nuh-tella are the same. I just did a poor job spelling out the pronunciation when I created the poll. :001_smile:

Nuh-tella. Because it's chocolate and hazelNUTS not hazelNEWTS. ;)

This is how I've always felt. And I cringed when my friends pronounced it "wrong".

Thank you! We first had it in Europe as well. I was beginning to feel quite foolish calling it new-tella after seeing all the nuh-tellas.

The differences in pronunciation remind me of American foods in Catalan - Ruffles (potato chips) are pronounced rrrroo-flays and a friend pronounced pancakes as pon-kay-kays!

:D Good point. Maybe I'll try to pronounce it the way it's pronounced in Europe, since that's where Nutella originated.

I would pronounce "new" the same as "noo" (not n-y-o. I think that's more British than American ;))

I'm ESL... :001_unsure: (English fourth language more like, LOL)

But yeah, now that I think of it, many Americans would say it that way. Probably even my daughters. But I never payed attention.

But I HAVE heard "nyutella", which is why I wanted to prevent the confusion. :D But a rose by any other name... :tongue_smilie:

I just assumed that however they say it on the commercial must be right or the owner of the company woulda' raised a stink and made them correct it.

My take on this is that whatever pronunciation appeals to the audience is what goes. I decided that when Hyundai came to the US. I would have pronounced this hyoon-die, and until I'd heard "hun-day" on tv I didn't know there was another way to say it.

I voted new/noo. Before this thread I didn't even know there was another pronunciation. And I first heard of Nutella about 10 years ago.

Cinder

My take on this is that whatever pronunciation appeals to the audience is what goes. I decided that when Hyundai came to the US. I would have pronounced this hyoon-die, and until I'd heard "hun-day" on tv I didn't know there was another way to say it.

I voted new/noo. Before this thread I didn't even know there was another pronunciation. And I first heard of Nutella about 10 years ago.

Cinder

Ah yes, I have found that living overseas, Americans pronounce words very differently than in the native. Take Nikon, in the US I've always heard it Nigh-kon. Here in Japan it's Nee-kon. And yes, in Korea, and if I'm not mistaken even in Europe it's more he-yon--die than hunday.

For the record, I've alway called it noo (new)-tella

Rooflays! I love that. They sound so much more exotic that way.

Ah yes, I have found that living overseas, Americans pronounce words very differently than in the native. Take Nikon, in the US I've always heard it Nigh-kon. Here in Japan it's Nee-kon.

The one I hate is "niss-in" for the car company Nissan, instead of "nees-san." I do say Nigh-kan even though I know it's not correct, just because it's so entrenched (and isn't it a contraction of some longer name starting with Nihon?). But I will never, ever say "sa-kee" or "karatee" or (my least favorite) "carry-o-kee."

A relative of mine, after living in Germany, pronounces Ikea totally differently from the way I do (Eye-kee-uh).