Menu

Questions about WWE/writing strands

homemama

My son (9) has enjoyed Abeka grammar and this year we're working through Lang. 3. Grammar is fine, but writing is a nightmare for us! I know this tends to be a typical problem especially for boys. So, hoping that someone can give advice on that.

I'm trying to decide between using the WWE 1 (need to work on comprehension, copywork is o.k.) and writing strands. We did a couple of the writing strands activities from the WS 2 book last year and ds liked the way it was presented. He did fine, as we tried this toward the end of the year for him. However, I was worried that it might get too hard too quick for him if we moved on with WS this year. I was also worried about him being in such a low level of WWE for his age.:confused: WW1 would be the best place if we used that this year. Any thoughts???

Thanks in advance!

homemama

Well, I used someone's WWE 2 and he bombed on some of the narration questions on the 1st 2 passages in WWE 2.:tongue_smilie:I should have added that he is working mainly on 3rd grade level for almost everything. The copywork would probably work, but not sure his comprehension is up to speed. I have used several comprehension type workbooks with him and he did fine with those, but not with the passages from WWE. However, we only read the 1st 2, but I'm sure it gets harder.:confused: Maybe, it just takes some practice. This will be our first year trying out narration, copywork type things, so maybe it's just practice.:confused: We're using Sonlight for science/history, so maybe narrating in those will help some.

What do you all think? Thanks for the ideas so far.

homemama

My dd7 has a rough time with comprehension. I will read a paragraph to her and ask her what is one thing she remembered and she will struggle BIG time so I have to slowly guide her through it...then she'll get it but not without some of my help. We're on the third week of the WWE1 and I'm SO glad that we didn't jump to WWE2. This is a PERFECT fit for us.

As for everything else she's right on top of her 2nd grade level. Her copywork is getting so much better ... but so glad that WWE has the narration and comprehension parts because def. need some work in that area.

If I were you...I'd get WWE1 and try your hand at it with him. I think even if it's a little bit on the easy side it'll give him time to build his confidence in that particular subject.

Maybe, I should work more on comprehension skills and use the WWE 1 to boost that. Sometimes I think he has "selective" comprehension. If it's something that he's interested in, I have no problem. However, short paragraphs of fairy tales and etc. is not his cup of tea, so that may be the problem.

I appreciate you all sharing. It helps me to think this through.:)

homemama