Menu

Great Homeschool Conventions featuring Susan Wise Bauer

Did anyone else notice MCT on the Greenville agenda?

I'm a secular homeschooler, and was seeing lots and lots of speakers I could skip, but SWB AND MCT... actually having a convention of any kind with only a few folks I really really want to see would be great... Now as long as they aren't scheduled at the same time. ( fingers crossed).

Christine in al

It has been my experience that SWB will give at least four sessions, so not all of those will be scheduled for the same time slots as MCT.

If they do happen to be scheduled at the same time, go see MCT in person, because he tends to use powerpoint for his sessions, and the graphics don't translate well to a recording. Then buy the recording of SWB's session, and listen to it on the drive home. :001_smile:

Edited by Mom2boys

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has been my experience that SWB will give at least four sessions, so not all of those will be scheduled for the same time slots as MCT.

If they do happen to be schedueld at the same time, go see MCT in person, because he tends to use powerpoint for his sessions, and the graphics don't translate well to a recording. Then buy the recording of SWB's session, and listen to it on the drive home. :001_smile:

MCT didn't allow his sesssions to be recorded last year, iirc, and SWB allows most bu not all of her sessions to be recorded. That will help make the decision, too.

I always have time slots with no one and time slots with up to four speakers I want to see. I end up buying a lot of recordings. :D

I LOVE conventions, but the good ones seem to be in the VA area--definitely not in TX. While I could theoretically go to one close to home, we can't afford the hotel stay right now or the childcare.

I am really excited about the Great HS convention, though, & am *hoping* to work out the details w/ a friend to go to the Missouri conference. (I think it's in Missouri.)

If not in 2011, hopefully sometime soon.

As to the other questions, I've only been to the convention in Houston, & while it was nice for our 1st year & because dh got to go, I wouldn't go to much effort to attend that one again. There didn't seem to be a lot of meat or creativity to the workshops offered--too much "feel good" inspirational stuff & often the content didn't match the title of the workshop. But I'm probably in the minority w/ those opinions. :001_smile:

MCT didn't allow his sesssions to be recorded last year, iirc, and SWB allows most bu not all of her sessions to be recorded. That will help make the decision, too.

I always have time slots with no one and time slots with up to four speakers I want to see. I end up buying a lot of recordings. :D

MCT didn't allow his sessions to be recorded as his powerpoint is integral to his talk. If you couldn't figure it out, he is a very visual person. ;) He knows that much of what is effective, and he has spent much time preparing, just cannot translate... therefore he doesn't want people spending their $$ on something that is less than complete.

Personally, I was irritated by this... until I saw his first talk. Then it made perfect sense.

MCT didn't allow his sessions to be recorded as his powerpoint is integral to his talk. If you couldn't figure it out, he is a very visual person. ;) He knows that much of what is effective, and he has spent much time preparing, just cannot translate... therefore he doesn't want people spending their $$ on something that is less than complete.

Personally, I was irritated by this... until I saw his first talk. Then it made perfect sense.

I wasn't saying anything bad about it. :001_smile: I went to all but one, and I understand why. I just wanted people to know in case they had planned to just buy CDs of his talks.

I have never been to a hs convention, and although I'm satisfied with our curriculum choices I would still LOVE to go to one. Unfortunately, I'm out here in Oregon and although I keep dreaming about going to the PA conference in June, it would be really tough for me due to finances. If there was a convention out here on the west coast during the summer months, I'd be more able to swing it.

As to the content of conventions, I'm one that is very, very glad for the uplifting emphasis on faith. I need that as I continue on this journey and it is one of the biggest draws for me in my desire to attend. Sometimes our batteries need recharging, and we need to go back and be reminded of why we are doing this in the first place. So many of us are providing Christian home education for our kids for very specific reasons. Those that complain about this aspect of the conventions need to be reminded that the people that make these conventions possible are Christians, and are operating out of a calling to promote Christian hs'ing.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I saw Susan last year at Cincinnati and was thrilled with the variety of classical speakers. Last year Susan spoke on Medieval history (maybe due to the release of her Medieval book), do you know what her convention topics will be this year? Conventions are like a shot in the arm for me :)

I'm a newbie, or rather really planning ahead. We have a few years yet before formal education begins, but I'm getting ideas and things here and there now. My sister currently has three in school and three in diapers, and her influence shows me anything is possible! My AppleBlossom is only 16 months old but with an impressive vocabulary both verbal and signed and we definitely plan on a Classical Christian Education based off the WTM. I have been in love with the concept ever since I was a long term and short notice substitute at a Classical Christian School in Oxford, Georgia.

We just relocated to Memphis, and I am very excited about the conference in the spring. Is the perfect time for me to consider some more things and start getting ready before we really start some preschool at home efforts. For now, we are using books for fun and might contemplate a tot school type thing...

• 4 weeks later...
Any idea what topics SWB will be addressing in her presentations at the Midwest HSing Conference?

:001_smile:

They recently posted some of her topics on facebook, and they were the old stand-bys I have heard multiple times. I'm still hoping she will give her talk on Preparing for College, for those of us who aren't new to classical education, and have been faithful attendees of the convention.

Here are her topics so far:

1) Homeschooling the Second Time

2) The Joy of Classical Education: An Introduction to Classical Education at Home

3) Educating Our Own Minds: How to Teach Ourselves as we Teach Our Kids

4) The Well-Trained Mind: Academic Excellence through Classical Education, Grades 5-8

These are all great sessions. I enjoyed them, and own several of the recordings. It's just that between Cincinnati and HEAV, I have heard each of these at least twice. So I would LOVE it if she would present at least one session that has NOT been presented in Cincinnati before.

Edited by Mom2boys
adding topics

The topics haven't been finalized yet--I think they posted those just as samples. Put your requests in now. :-) I was thinking I'd like to do a couple of new workshops this year, but haven't settled on topics yet.

SWB

These re my requests:

High school level writing for the college bound classically educated

High school level rhetoric

I postes my question/dilemma on the other thread, but just to say, since I LIVE in Cincinnati, I'll be at the Midwest Convention. I'm even thinking of getting a room downtown. Even though I only live 40 min. away. A bit easier to get to the early sessions.

Here is a question from those of us on the west coast that can't afford to head back east or the midwest...and understand why it is difficult for SWB to get out here with all that she has on her own plate...why can't it be arranged to have her do some seminars via SKYPE? If Oprah can do it, why can't we, right? I wouldn't even care if she was sitting on her couch at home...we would all love the chance to hear her new seminars (almost) live. For those in Oregon, this conference is in late June...put on by OCEANetwork. Is this a possibility?

So here's what I was thinking for 2011:

Homeschooling the Real (Distractable, Impatient, Argumentative, Unenthusiastic, Non-Book-Loving, Inattentive, Poky, Vague) Child

High academic achievement (and particular the book-centered kind of achievement recommended by classical educators) often seems designed for one kind of student: the mature, self-directed, disciplined child who loves to read. In this workshop, learn how to deal with the other 90% of students. Includes practical strategies for dealing with roadblocks in the way of academic achievement, as well as time-tested advice for teaching to your child’s strengths while still addressing weaknesses. Susan Wise Bauer, classical educator, college instructor, and author, was home schooled herself and has homeschooled her own four real children, now aged 10-19 (the oldest is now at university).

The Well-Prepared Student (Middle School/Logic Stage): How to Get Ready for the High School Years

In this session, learn what and how to teach your child in grades 5-8--before that ninth-grade year begins. How can you be sure that you’re handling the transition from elementary learning to more complicated studies properly? What do you do when your child resists? What should you do in the seventh and eighth-grade years to make sure that your student is ready for high school? Includes suggested milestones for each year and subject, as well as practical suggestions for catching up and covering material that may have been missed.

The Well-Prepared Student (High School): How to Get Ready for College

In this session, learn what and how to teach your child in grades 9-12--before they fill out those applications and head off for the freshman year. What expections should you have for high school? How can you teach those subjects that stump you? How should you personalize the high school curriculum for your student, while still making sure that the basics are covered? What skills will your student need to develop in order to thrive in college? As a college instructor, Susan Wise Bauer has taught scores of college freshmen and knows what they should have learned before the freshman year; as a home educating parent, she has graduated one high school student (now at UVA) and is in the thicket of high school with two more.

Note: Susan’s “Preparing for College” workshop covers the technical aspects of record-keeping, testing, and college applications; this workshop focuses on academics and skills.

Q&A with Susan Wise Bauer and Peter Bauer: Homeschooling as a Team (and Surviving)

Susan and Peter have been homeschooling and working as a team for nineteen years. Married for 21 years, they have not only survived but thrived. Come ask honest questions about balancing home schooling, marriage, and work, and get candid answers. Both Susan and Peter will give a brief introduction about the greatest difficulties and rewards of homeschooling as a team; the rest of the session will be dedicated to Q&A.

Some of the suggested topics I've addressed before-- "What is Literary Analysis?" which we have available as a download, talks about how to teach literature, and I do an entire highschool writing session ("A Plan for Teaching Writing: Focus on the High School Years"). I do also have a workshop on how high school students should read, but I don't think it's been recorded...I'll see if I can do it this year somewhere that will do a decent recording that we can put online.

any thoughts welcome,

SWB

Sign me up for this one!

The Well-Prepared Student (Middle School/Logic Stage): How to Get Ready for the High School Years

In this session, learn what and how to teach your child in grades 5-8--before that ninth-grade year begins. How can you be sure that you’re handling the transition from elementary learning to more complicated studies properly? What do you do when your child resists? What should you do in the seventh and eighth-grade years to make sure that your student is ready for high school? Includes suggested milestones for each year and subject, as well as practical suggestions for catching up and covering material that may have been missed.

In this session, learn what and how to teach your child in grades 9-12--before they fill out those applications and head off for the freshman year. What expections should you have for high school? How can you teach those subjects that stump you? How should you personalize the high school curriculum for your student, while still making sure that the basics are covered? What skills will your student need to develop in order to thrive in college? As a college instructor, Susan Wise Bauer has taught scores of college freshmen and knows what they should have learned before the freshman year; as a home educating parent, she has graduated one high school student (now at UVA) and is in the thicket of high school with two more.

Note: Susan’s “Preparing for College†workshop covers the technical aspects of record-keeping, testing, and college applications; this workshop focuses on academics and skills.

This sounds great!

Homeschooling the Real (Distractable, Impatient, Argumentative, Unenthusiastic, Non-Book-Loving, Inattentive, Poky, Vague) Child

Q&A with Susan Wise Bauer and Peter Bauer: Homeschooling as a Team (and Surviving)

*I will definitely attend these sessions! They sound fantastic - especially since I have a rising 9th grader, and a non-book-loving nine-year-old.

Some of the suggested topics I've addressed before-- "What is Literary Analysis?" which we have available as a download, talks about how to teach literature, and I do an entire highschool writing session ("A Plan for Teaching Writing: Focus on the High School Years"). I do also have a workshop on how high school students should read, but I don't think it's been recorded...I'll see if I can do it this year somewhere that will do a decent recording that we can put online.

any thoughts welcome,

SWB

I vote for any session that relates to teaching high school. I also like your session on "Teaching Students to Learn Independently", and would gladly hear that one again. Thanks for asking.

Wow! The 2011 conference season begins in 5 weeks for us. Susan Bauer, Jessie Wise, and Peter Enns are featured speaker at the MidSouth (Memphis) Homeschool Convention on March 3-5. I know that it has snuck up on me. I wanted to send out a reminder to “all†of you to get registered and finish up with those final travel arrangements if you haven’t done so all ready.

As Susan has been discussing with yaâ€ll, she will be presenting some new workshops in 2011. For more information about the first convention of the 2011 season in Memphis, please visit the convention website http://www.midsouthhomeschoolconvention.com/

Remember for other conference announcements and information visit us at www.welltrainedmind.com under “speaking engagements†or visit http://www.GreatHomeschoolConventions.com for more information.

Suzanne Hicks

Conference Manager

Most years I have gone to the conference in ARlington, TX, but skipped this year because it just seemed very much the same as in the past. I would love it if SWB would come to Texas.

SETHSA in Houston, TX heard your cries! They invited Susan to speak as their featured Speaker at SETHSA convention in June 2011. Visit their websitehttp://www.sethsa.org/conferences.htm

Suzanne Hicks

I'm signed up for Greenville. I'm so excited! :D

The only other hs convention that I've been to was SWB's in Williamsburg. It was fantastic! This convention has so many speakers that I have never heard irl and I can't wait! This is coming at a time when I really need the motivation and focus directed back to my home school energy. I have felt weary these last few months and I think this is just the ticket. :D

Susan and Peter have been homeschooling and working as a team for nineteen years. Married for 21 years, they have not only survived but thrived. Come ask honest questions about balancing home schooling, marriage, and work, and get candid answers. Both Susan and Peter will give a brief introduction about the greatest difficulties and rewards of homeschooling as a team; the rest of the session will be dedicated to Q&A.

SWB

Will this be recorded or not? I remember a few years ago the one you did with your mom wasn't recorded. I would love for hubby to listen to this one as he will not be there.

Will this be recorded or not? I remember a few years ago the one you did with your mom wasn't recorded. I would love for hubby to listen to this one as he will not be there.

I'm curious to know this too, because I would also love for my husband to hear this session. But I'm guessing that the Q&A format would make it challenging to record.

I am going to Greenville! I am so excited! I've never heard SWB or JW, so I'm very excited about that :) I've even got dh to go to this one :)

I like SOME of the practical life type of things - organizing, and the like, but I am finding as my kids get older (we are just getting to 2nd and K next year) I want more HOW to teach stuff.