Menu

Great Homeschool Conventions featuring Susan Wise Bauer

...that anything west of the Mississippi is nothing but wilderness, wild heathens, and uneducated farmers.....therefore, let's schedule FOUR Great Conventions all in the eastern 1/3 of the United States and NONE anywhere west of that!!!

Sorry for :rant:, but it does seem that people "west-ish" are just not on the radar. Going that far east from WA State won't happen for me.

Why can't they say "going that far west won't happen for me"? I hate to fly, and the longer the flight the more I hate it. If they lived in Oregon, I'd bet you $10,000 the 4 conferences would be west of the Mississippi. It is geography, not bias. There, now you've had my rant. :)

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... I hope that there will be many speakers NOT focusing on religion. I want more nuts and bolts of homeschooling!

:iagree: I went to CHAP (PA) the last 2 years. I decided I'm not going back. I was frustrated with the exclusivity, both in vendors and in speakers, and told them such in feedback. And THEN (wonder of wonders) a conference is scheduled for Philly!!! I'm hoping to find more what I am looking for. I really enjoyed Andrew Pudewa at CHAP, and look forward to hearing him, as well as SWB at the NE Conference!

I am planning on going to the one in Memphis in March. How much do these conventions cost? What about hotel rooms? I don't know if we will take the kids or not but how much is the children's programs? I would like some figures so I can start saving. Also if you live in the memphis area, what are some good hotels to check out? Thanks!

I am planning on going to the one in Memphis in March. How much do these conventions cost? What about hotel rooms? I don't know if we will take the kids or not but how much is the children's programs? I would like some figures so I can start saving. Also if you live in the memphis area, what are some good hotels to check out? Thanks!

The price for the Cincinnati convention has always been ridiculously low. Th earlier you register, the cheaper it is, too. I think we paid about $40 for our whole family plus $5 each for Tim Hawkins tickets. They usually have hotel arrangements for about $99-109, but we usually find our own for $70-80. I like to get away from the homeschool crowd at the end of the day, but some people like to stay closer. :001_smile:

I'll be back in Cincinnati next spring! I love hearing the speakers and having a chance to drool over all that lovely curriculum...not to mention the opportunity to meet other WTMers.

Yes, we'll be having a WTM meet-and-greet on Thursday night! (Millennium Hotel--top of the escalator, near the bridge to the conference center)

Never been to a conference. We're just starting this hs thing...

Memphis is closest and so probably cheapest. But I have some family to catch up with near Cinci...

I have to talk to DH and to some friends. Going by myself won't happen, for sure. I'd love to make it a girls' getaway with some friends. :D

I am planning on attending the SE Conference. My in-laws live near Greenville, so we can justify the travel to visit Grandma (and have free babysitting). I don't know if I could justify the 600-mile drive otherwise.

Last year I attended FPEA. It was my first HS convention. I didn't do a very good job picking convention speakers, and I was disappointed in the heavily Christian flavor of many of the talks. I had been hoping for more actual homeschooling instruction, and I ended up walking out on several seminars that ended up being irrelevant and preachy.

I may attend FPEA again next year, but I'm really excited about the SE convention. All the speakers that are on my wishlist will be there. :001_smile:

Have you stopped going to conventions? Are you going to a conference next year? Do you currently travel only short distances to conferences, but now are considering a bigger travel commitment? Have you been looking for conferences that equip you with useful information and tools to homeschool? You may also ask me questions about conventions; I often get email asking why Susan and Jessie are not speaking in a particular state or how to arrange to have them in a particular place. Maybe you have other questions for me (the conference manager). So please ask. I would like to open up a conversation here answering your convention questions and listening to your concerns.

We don't really have big conventions here in Maritime Canada. There is a small curriculum fair (which, this year and maybe last, became a small conference with sessions) in my part of Nova Scotia, and a slightly bigger conference in New Brunswick, and that's all I've ever heard about. I've been to the curric. fair a couple of times in 7 years of homeschooling, but stopped going a few years ago because I buy my stuff online or elsewhere. And when it has been a conference, I didn't go because the topics didn't interest me.

I'm not currently planning to go to a conference next year.

I did fly from Canada last year to attend the WTM Anniversary conference (you did an awesome job putting it on!!!), because the topics Susan and Jessie were speaking on were exactly what I needed - I was desperate for some practical direction and teaching on how to teach those skills/topics. I think I was the first person to register!!:lol: So, yeah, I'd travel for something that I need. But I don't go to conferences just to go to a yearly conference. I'd make an effort to get to one, even far away again, that provided me with help that I need over the years. The workshops in the WTM conf. provided me with tools I can use for my remaining 9 years of homeschooling - at the time, I thought of the airfare/hotel/car rental as an investment in the next 10 years of homeschooling. I still think it was. It was really a series of intensive teacher-training seminars, and worth much more than the $40 that was charged - I was SOOOOOOO thankful that you guys kept the cost so low!!!!!

I keep hoping that PHP will put on conferences like that again. The whole English side of things was extremely helpful. I wonder if you could add in "how to teach science" element, using speakers that PHP is acquainted with, who will use WTM-style methods. And also, I saw that PHP is putting out a Bible study book/series of books to help parents teach the Bible to their children, through all the learning stages - I think some practical teaching on this by perhaps the book's author would be useful, too. I'm sick of all the Bible study helps out there for kids and adults, but reading the info. on that book lit a fire under me - gave me hope that getting to know the Bible (and the God of the bible) using classical methods is possible. I just need some practical teaching on how.

I don't know that I'd go to a huge convention like the ones you linked - the thing I really enjoyed about the WTM conf. is that it seemed small and intimate and focused, even though that room was stuffed with people. I think it was the nature of the workshops that drew people together - we had so much to talk about in between sessions, and during meals. It was just really, really refreshing to be able to talk with other like-minded homeschoolers, and to talk about the practical tools we were learning.

Question: Will it ever be possible for Susan and Jessie to speak at the New Brunswick conference some year? :D I've e-mailed the coordinators several times over the past year to ask them if they'd ever invite them again (I heard they did a few years ago, but it didn't work out), but I've never received a response. Not sure why. I'd pursue it more if I thought there was a chance of it happening. I also live near the Halifax international airport and would be happy to help out with transportation somehow. :D

:iagree:

I'm in about the same boat as Colleen regarding distance and willingness to attend.

The small, intimate, but focused nature of the WTM conference she described would be a draw for me and some local friends IRL. I'm interested in helpful, how-to, teacher-training style lectures like the ones by Susan & Jessie on the PHP site.

It would be especially helpful to hear from many classical education oriented speakers and see materials from vendors that are recommended in TWTM or are commonly used by people on this forum. A classical, eclectically classical, and CM focus would represent the "WTM follower" demographic well. For people traveling great distances like me, it would make it worth it if both Susan & Jessie were speaking; and the gravy on top would be speakers such as Pudewa, Jim Wiess, the LCC author, Michael Clay Thompson, etc.

Along with the lectures & workshops on language arts topics, it would be nice to see something similar for science (Dr. Bernard J. Nebel, etc.) & math. A good variety of student workshops for kids would be awesome, esp. writing workshops by Susan.

Just my $.02. :)

I am a faithful Midwest Homeschool convention attendee, and look forward to seeing you again in Cincinnati in 2011. I already have my hotel reservation. :D

I don't know how much control you have over the session topics, but I prefer stand-alone sessions to a four-part series on medieval history. I would love to hear Susan speak about preparing homeschoolers for college.

...that anything west of the Mississippi is nothing but wilderness, wild heathens, and uneducated farmers.....therefore, let's schedule FOUR Great Conventions all in the eastern 1/3 of the United States and NONE anywhere west of that!!!

Sorry for :rant:, but it does seem that people "west-ish" are just not on the radar. Going that far east from WA State won't happen for me.

I have gone to the WA Homeschool Convention the last three years (heard SWB & JW at two of them). I don't know whether I will go back, unless they come. I was a new hser for a while but am getting more comfortable now - not sure I'll get the same value from it.

Can I just say, in defense of the Deans, that they only started the Midwest Homeschool convention four years ago, and they began in Cincinnati because that is where they live. To be able to add three additional conventions, after only four years, is a tremendous success in my book. I think they chose the locations they did to keep travel manageable for themselves and their staff. Given time, I am sure they would love to expand out west. I don't think there is any west-coast bias intended.

Edited by Mom2boys

I am close to two of them, and am really excited to go! I will probably go to the Cincinnati one since it appears to have the most things that I am interested in looking through.

Now I just have to figure out the logistics of it, I cannot eat normal food and have to bring my own food when I travel.

I just signed up for the NE (PA) conference newsletter. I've only been to one conference, back in 2003. When my kids were little, I was only interested in the exhibit hall; now I may be interested in a few of the speakers (Susan!!). I considered going to NCHE this year; I don't live in NC, but it was closer than going to Richmond. I don't want to stay overnight anywhere, but I have family an hour outside of Philadelphia and can stay there.

Even if I end up not going, it's exciting to think about!

After visiting http://www.GreatHomeschoolConventions.com for more information, please come back to this post and tell me about your convention decisions for 2011. Have you stopped going to conventions? Are you going to a conference next year? Do you currently travel only short distances to conferences, but now are considering a bigger travel commitment? Have you been looking for conferences that equip you with useful information and tools to homeschool? You may also ask me questions about conventions; I often get email asking why Susan and Jessie are not speaking in a particular state or how to arrange to have them in a particular place. Maybe you have other questions for me (the conference manager). So please ask. I would like to open up a conversation here answering your convention questions and listening to your concerns.

Thanks for posting this early. We are working out our 2011 HS budget (we begin in January), so it's good to think about a convention "allotment" at this time.

I did visit the site, and we would attend the NE conference (we are in NJ, about 45 minutes from Philly/Valley Forge). I looked, but I didn't see any prices listed. Do you know what the costs might be for family and individual registrations?

My main goals in attending a conference would be to (1) improve my understanding and application of how to teach elementary math; (2) improve my understanding and application of how to teach the basic principles of science; and (3) improve my mental picture of the chronological flow of world history. I am not interested in seminars about "Homeschooling is Great; Public School Sucks," or "Why Don't All Christians Homeschool?" or "How to Avoid Burn-Out/Organize Your Files/Have Literary Teas." :tongue_smilie: Sorry, just not what I'm lookin' for.

The process of imparting good skills in English -- Handwriting, Copywork, Dictation, Narration, Composition, Grammar, Mechanics, Spelling, Memory Work & Recitation, Phonics, Reading, and Literature -- have been clearly explained by Jessie and Suan in various venues (e.g., books, articles, CDs). I feel that I have a good, solid grasp on what we're supposed to be doing in English, and we are having FANTASTIC results from doing this. :D That one simple primer (OPG), used for ten minutes a day, has produced readers in my home. What more could we want?

So, English "how-to" is quite clear. Even Latin "how-to" has been explained very nicely by the folks at Memoria Press. I am confident in these areas, but math and science.... ? Not so much, honestly. And so, I would look for courses/resources that would help me improve my grasp of math and science, especially at the fundamental levels which I expect to teach personally.

Finally, while I don't feel completely ignorant when it comes to history, my overall time-line could use some work. I would love an interactive, hands-on, move-around and think-it-through type of "World History Walk-Through," sort of like those Bible walk-throughs that some churches do, only with world history. A lecture would put me to sleep. HTH.

Not to sound sappy, but thank you from the bottom of my heart for posting this. I was planning on budgeting to go all the way to Ohio because I have always wanted to go to that huge convention. Now I am able to travel only 5 hours instead of flying or traveling 12+. This has been a lifesaver.

I will be going to Memphis and it is already on the calendar so I don't forget and I have signed up for the notifications.

Thanks again,

You are completely leaving out the West half of the country. That's really disappointing. I wish for a homeschooling conference that was actually about the nuts and bolts of education, instead of mostly "parenting" and "religious" type things.

I'm not excited about most of them because I don't need a bunch of lectures about how wonderful life can be if you just let your kids learn whatever they would like and while I am a Christian, homeschooling isn't a "calling" for me. I don't need a bunch of ps bashing and "God likes homeschooling" type stuff.

I find I am just not willing to travel or pay for anything less than a classically oriented homeschooling conference that focused on actual teaching, with a bit of inspiration thrown in.

My sentiments exactly!!!! Although I would be happy with a conference west of the Mississippi.

The 2010 conference season is over for Susan, Jessie and me. This is generally the time of year that I am exhausted from traveling, but still have to pursue avenues for next yearĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s conferences. This year, however, I am excited to announce to you (WTM followers) a fantastic 2011 conference season.

There are four (4) "Great Homeschool Conventions" in 2011 that WTM readers may wish to make a note of as they prominently feature Susan Wise Bauer. You can find out more about these regional conventions by following the "Speaking Engagements" menu button found on the http:www.WellTrainedMind.com website.

I know this announcement seems early, and these conferences are not necessarily in your backyards, but please give them serious thought. I have traveled to conventions as a homeschooling parent and as a convention manager for Susan and Jessie for ten years. I wish as a parent I would have had this conference selection when I was homeschooling.

After visiting http://www.GreatHomeschoolConventions.com for more information, please come back to this post and tell me about your convention decisions for 2011. Have you stopped going to conventions? Are you going to a conference next year? Do you currently travel only short distances to conferences, but now are considering a bigger travel commitment? Have you been looking for conferences that equip you with useful information and tools to homeschool? You may also ask me questions about conventions; I often get email asking why Susan and Jessie are not speaking in a particular state or how to arrange to have them in a particular place. Maybe you have other questions for me (the conference manager). So please ask. I would like to open up a conversation here answering your convention questions and listening to your concerns.

I would not travel out of my State to a convention. I find them helpful, but not helpful enough to plan a vacation and travel budget around one. Luckily I live in Virginia and there are options. But because I am secular, I plan to go even less. The focus seems to be on Christianity and politics instead of teaching and learning. I am interested in hearing SWB or Jessie Wise speak, since I haven't as of yet.

I love conventions! If I like the speakers and vendors and if I feel the workshops will inspire and encourage me and give me practical help in homeschooling my son.

I attended the CHEA Convention in CA for several years and heard SWB speak there one year. Debra Bell was another one of my favorite speakers a different year.

Since moving to Michigan in 2007, I attended the INCH convention in Lansing one year. I haven't like the speaking lineup at INCH for the last 2 conventions. They have a different flavor now that does not fit our family or homeschool philosophy. I was DYING to go to the Midwest Convention in Cincinnati this past March, but as dh has been unemployed for 2 years, I was not able to afford it. I found out too late about the volunteer options.

In 2011, I really want to try to attend either the Cincinatti Convention or the Philadelphia one, not matter what our financial situation.

One thing the Lansing convention started doing that I thought was really nice, was offering lodging with local host families. I don't know how well it turned out, but I thought that was a very nice and practical idea.

I will not be attending any of the conventions mentioned in this post because they are too far away for me.

A few years ago, Susan Wise Bauer spoke at a convention in Northern California that I attended. I wish she would come back out here.

I'm probably going to CHEA in San Jose, CA. Depending on the speakers in Modesto, CA, I'll attend that convention instead.

I've never been to a convention but might go to the Philly one if we're still in this area in June, as it's only a 2-hour drive. I'd be interested in hearing SWB, the two math speakers, MCT, and Jim Weiss. I'd also really like the chance to look at some of the homeschool products in person.

I'm Jewish, though, and this seems like a fairly Christian-oriented event, so I doubt I'd go much further to attend. I presume that most homeschool conventions are heavily Christian in emphasis, but if there was one that wasn't I would certainly be willing to travel farther for that.

I viewed the website and I've decided not to go because it seems too focused on religion, which I am already fulfilled at.

What I'm looking for is a convention about teaching methods and learning styles. I'm always looking for inspiration in this area.

Wait until the topic list comes out. You will be pleasantly suprised. There are many talks in each time slot, and many (most?) of them are about teaching specific topics. For example, MCT did a series on teaching language arts this past year at the Midwest convention, there were several talks on teaching Latin and logic and reading, and SWB did a series on teaching history.

I presume that most homeschool conventions are heavily Christian in emphasis, but if there was one that wasn't I would certainly be willing to travel farther for that.

Most are, because that is the largest demographic, and that is who organizes them. I know there are secular conferences in Chicago and one in California, and I'm sure more somewhere. You can always organize one for Jewish homeschoolers! I bet that is a growing market.

• 2 weeks later...

When will the list of seminar topics be listed for each conference? Will SWB present the same topics at each conference? I am trying to decide between two conferences, and if different topics are offered that may influence my decision. If they are the same, I 'll just go with the closer one.

Thanks!

Hello.

I have never attended a homeschooling convention. I live in Alberta, Canada. Every year, I think about attending our local provincial homeschooling convention, but I choose not to go in the end though there are a few lectures that appear interesting because most of them are not what I want to hear about. They range from the basics of homeschooling with references to how to write or do unit studies to a religious focus. I have found that my hs convention has a very clear opinion regarding how to homeschooling that I do not entirely agree with or follow. This reflects in their choice of people they bring in. Furthermore, I read their newsletter and I am ashamed to say that the president's ability to write is poor. This does not give me confidence in their leadership I am afraid.

Because we have chosen to follow the WTM way of homeschooling, I would really love to hear Susan Wise Bauer or Jessie Wise speak, but I cannot afford to travel to the US for any of the conferences they speak at. Therefore, I have ordered all their MP3's so I can hear what they lecture about. I have learned so much from their audios! I would hope they would put more up over time for people in my situation to learn from. They have given a lot of clarity as to the why and how to classically homeschool.

The one thing that I would really appreciate is a online convention ( I think this happened once if I am not mistaken) or at least some sort of event where people like me could ask these ladies questions personally. Perhaps it could be limited to a certain number of registrants, so we could get more out of it. Or perhaps we could email them questions personally. I ask this because in Canada, though we are similar in our schooling to the US, we do have some differences, and I would certainly appreciate having the opportunity to ask questions about the concerns we have to deal with.

Do they ever come to Canada to any conventions?

Charmayne

Did anyone else notice MCT on the Greenville agenda?

I'm a secular homeschooler, and was seeing lots and lots of speakers I could skip, but SWB AND MCT... actually having a convention of any kind with only a few folks I really really want to see would be great... Now as long as they aren't scheduled at the same time. ( fingers crossed).

Christine in al

Did anyone else notice MCT on the Greenville agenda?

I'm a secular homeschooler, and was seeing lots and lots of speakers I could skip, but SWB AND MCT... actually having a convention of any kind with only a few folks I really really want to see would be great... Now as long as they aren't scheduled at the same time. ( fingers crossed).

Christine in al

I'll have to go check the Cincinnati list! He was so wonderful last year, but he didn't draw a big crowd, so I hope they bring him back.

ETA: Yep, got him! Plus Ed Zaccaro! Glad to see they are featuring more academic speakers again. :)

Edited by angela in ohio

I would come to hear SWB in a heartbeat if she would speak closer to my home. It's hard to get speakers that want to come to little 'ole New Mexico. But, Colorado, Arizona, Texas--those are pretty close! I love to hear any speaker who can practically tell me some things that will enhance my teaching. I get tired of the same old speakers who are mostly just selling their curriculum, and so I have to buy it to really know what they are suggesting. SWB's audios have been wonderful, so if I can't go hear her, I hope those audios will continue to be made available. My plea is "COME OUT WEST!" :)