Menu

Great Homeschool Conventions featuring Susan Wise Bauer

The 2010 conference season is over for Susan, Jessie and me. This is generally the time of year that I am exhausted from traveling, but still have to pursue avenues for next year’s conferences. This year, however, I am excited to announce to you (WTM followers) a fantastic 2011 conference season.

There are four (4) "Great Homeschool Conventions" in 2011 that WTM readers may wish to make a note of as they prominently feature Susan Wise Bauer. You can find out more about these regional conventions by following the "Speaking Engagements" menu button found on the http:www.WellTrainedMind.com website.

I know this announcement seems early, and these conferences are not necessarily in your backyards, but please give them serious thought. I have traveled to conventions as a homeschooling parent and as a convention manager for Susan and Jessie for ten years. I wish as a parent I would have had this conference selection when I was homeschooling.

After visiting http://www.GreatHomeschoolConventions.com for more information, please come back to this post and tell me about your convention decisions for 2011. Have you stopped going to conventions? Are you going to a conference next year? Do you currently travel only short distances to conferences, but now are considering a bigger travel commitment? Have you been looking for conferences that equip you with useful information and tools to homeschool? You may also ask me questions about conventions; I often get email asking why Susan and Jessie are not speaking in a particular state or how to arrange to have them in a particular place. Maybe you have other questions for me (the conference manager). So please ask. I would like to open up a conversation here answering your convention questions and listening to your concerns.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be seriously considering the NE convention! A lot will depend on the new baby's personality and hoping nothing major pops up. Generally speaking, conventions don't really excite me much anymore, but I wouldn't want to pass up the opportunity to see and hear SWB 2 hours from my house! :)

I was there too!! I was looking at the Greenville one and can't decide if Susan is speaking there or not. She is listed on the right hand side but not in the speakers listing. Do you know?

From www.welltrainedmind.com

Susan Wise Bauer

March 17-19

Southeast Homeschool Convention

Carolina First Center

Greenville, South Carolina

http://www.southeasthomeschoolconvention.com

Have you stopped going to conventions? Are you going to a conference next year? Do you currently travel only short distances to conferences, but now are considering a bigger travel commitment?
I have attended the Arlington, TX, convention three times and the Plano, TX, convention twice. I did not attend either one this year as the speaker line-up left me feeling 'blah.' And many of their vendors are 'school in a box.' Granted, they have a few vendors I like, but I would rather order directly from them than fight the crowds and pay $$$ for parking. My favorite vendors are not at either convention.

More than likely, I will not be attending either local convention next year.

DH and I talked about going to an out-of-state convention this year, but we had too much going on. We are seriously considering attending one of "Great Homeschool Conventions" next year.

Have you been looking for conferences that equip you with useful information and tools to homeschool?
Yes and no.

I have ordered/downloaded a number of lectures from SWB, Andrew Pudewa, etc., plus I have several books that I reread whenever I need inspiration or guidance. But it would be lovely to see/hear SWB in person.

I signed up for updates for the Greenville Convention. I'm in Atlanta so I don't know for sure, but its something I'd love to do. I go to GHEA yearly, and this year also went to the SE Homeschool Expo, where I believe SWB has spoken in the past. I'm sorry I missed her then and would love for her to come back to Atlanta!

I live about 4 hours from Cincinnati and have attended the Midwest convention the past two years. SWB's presence at the Midwest convention was a huge factor in me going the first time - I have attended many of her sessions and have benefitted greatly from them!

I will definitely be at the Midwest convention again next year. There are so many excellent speakers and such a great vendor hall that it feels like walking into a gold mine. Not to be missed!

I hope to attend the Northeast convention next year and might even stay overnight instead of going for just one day. As a Catholic and as a secular homeschooler, I hope that there will be many speakers NOT focusing on religion. I want more nuts and bolts of homeschooling!

The only convention I've attended was in WA a couple years ago. My sister and I traveled 4 hours (each way) just to hear Susan speak. We listened to all four of her talks as well as all of Andrew Pudewa's. Worth every minute and every dime. I have no intention of attending any other convention unless Susan is speaking. I'm sorry her 2011 speaking engagements aren't within driving distance.

It sure would be nice to have a Great Homeschool Convention west of the Mississippi! The four "regional" locations listed all seem relatively close together. One on the west coast would be nice. I could drive to either WA or northern CA or Oregon itself would be great. But the given locations leave half of the country pretty much out of luck. I would not be able to fly to a homeschool convention.

Suzanne,

It sure has been different living out on the West Coast these last few years. I do miss the big conventions like VA and NC. HOWEVER, I am more experienced and settled and need them a bit less, so it's not too bad.

One tough thing about the Great Homeschool Conventions is that the West is completely left out. It sure has been nice to have Susan and or Jesse cycle through Seattle every couple of years (I know it doesn't hurt that Susan's brother is here so it facilitates family visiting). I'd like to see that trend continue, either in WA or OR. I would travel to those (and have gone to the Seattle conference once).

Honestly, I probably wouldn't travel further than PNW to attend a convention; it's just too expensive. Even CA is too far and pricey. I did think hard about your special WTM convention in W'burg, but I couldn't swing it financially. I consoled myself by ordering some CDs ; ).

Great to "see" you, even if just via the board,

Sherrill (AKA WTMCassandra)

I've gone to the Midwest (Cincinnati) all along. I am going again this one more year, hoping that the extra conventions alleviate the crowd issues, but I am also keeping a watchful eye toward the way the "tone" changed - less academic, more relaxed or generic (and non-homeschool) topics - the last year. I'm really disappointed that they moved the week this year (it has always been the week after Easter, during Spring Break for dh.) I also wish they'd make the price to bring children in with you much more expensive than the price to put them into the childrne's program. The number of unattended, bothersome children has increased steadily each year. I went hoping to do most of my shopping for this year, but left disappointed, because of the children and the crowded aisles. That is about half my purpose for going, so I'm not sure I'll bother if that doesn't get better.

I will go again, though, because the CHEO convention was expensive and is now tiny, and the Michigan convention is even more expensive. If Midwest doesn't deliver, though, I'll start looking more to things like Veritas teacher training and ACCS conferences.

I've gone to Cincinnati every year, but did not hear Susan speak this year. If I remember correctly, she spoke several times on ancient history, and I was gearing up to study 20th century. I would like to hear her speak on broader topics,especially Rhetoric, Logic, preparation for college, and writing, writing, writing.

I also want to hear "Homeschooling the 2nd Time Around". Many people raved about that one and I missed it.

One problem I've seen at Cincinnati is that subjects that would interest the same person are offered at the same time. For instance, three speakers will speak about three different high school subjects at the same time, and then the next hour there is nothing about high school.

I know this is going to be hard to believe because you have seen how large this convention has been in the past, however, the convention is actually going to be larger. The entire facility has been rented so that there will be more vendors and much bigger isles! I can't wait to see it. I was already stunned by the size last year. I think these convention managers saw the problem and solved it!

So why don't conventions excite you anymore?

I started going to the ENOCH convention a year or two before we actually began homeschooling. It was great to be able to look at materials and hear speakers to get an idea of what I was getting into.

These days, I'm secure in about 90% of my curriculum choices/methods, and don't have any desire to consider changing that 90%. Plus, I wind up spending too much money at the artsy/supply tables, lol.

It also gets tiring trying to sift through the religious content (curricula and speakers) that doesn't apply to our family. Sometimes it's easy to see which seminars will be useful even with its religious aspects, and I try to get in on those. Other times, it's harder to tell, and I find myself sitting through an entire seminar that is irrelevant to me because I feel badly trying to sneak out. ;)

Add in my crowd-aversion and travel expenses and it's rarely worth it for me. But I've been wanting to see SWB for a long time now! MCT is an added bonus!

Since my kids' ages span more than 12 years, it wouldn't kill me to keep my eyes *slightly* peeled for new and updated materials and trends, either. I just don't intend to make it an annual habit. :D

I know this is going to be hard to believe because you have seen how large this convention has been in the past, however, the convention is actually going to be larger. The entire facility has been rented so that there will be more vendors and much bigger isles! I can't wait to see it. I was already stunned by the size last year. I think these convention managers saw the problem and solved it!

We were told at the convention that the "dog show area" would be part of the convention next year. That will hopefully help the booth crowding, unless they just invite that many more vendors (as they did this year) without consideration for space to walk.

I would assume they got a LOT of feedback about the vendor hall, and I look for it to be better this year. They have responded to complaints in the past (food, for example,) which is why I am giving it another year.

It sure would be nice to have a Great Homeschool Convention west of the Mississippi! The four "regional" locations listed all seem relatively close together. <snip> But the given locations leave half of the country pretty much out of luck. I would not be able to fly to a homeschool convention.

:iagree:I've never been to a convention as I've done most of my research online. I'd love to attend one at somepoint and one of the Great Homeschool Conventions sound lovely. Unfortunately, I am the breadwinner for my family and simply couldn't take off work to attend any of the listed conferences. Also I can't justify spending that kind of money travelling.

Now, if there were a GHC in TX I probably could and would attend as I live in Central TX and have family throughout the state.

I have gone to NCHE several times in the early years of my homeschooling. I will not attend again, because I want an actual homeschooling conferences (like the sessions SWB and JW did in Richmond), not a "come be our specific type of Christian family" conference disguised as a homeschool conference.

I plan on skipping the Chicago area ones (I've attended them the last 3 years) so I can go to the Midwest convention in Cincinnati next year. I had the pleasure of seeing Susan this year at a small Chicago convention and was so impressed! I can't wait to go to the BIG convention and see her again.

The 2010 conference season is over for Susan, Jessie and me. This is generally the time of year that I am exhausted from traveling, but still have to pursue avenues for next year’s conferences. This year, however, I am excited to announce to you (WTM followers) a fantastic 2011 conference season.

[ please come back to this post and tell me about your convention decisions for 2011. Have you stopped going to conventions? Are you going to a conference next year? Do you currently travel only short distances to conferences, but now are considering a bigger travel commitment? Have you been looking for conferences that equip you with useful information and tools to homeschool? s.[/size][/font]

I am going to the Cincinnati one next year. (I went the last two years just because SWB was speaking) I love love Cincinnati convention. It is a short distance for me (2 1/2 hours drive). I quit going to Indianapolis 3 years ago. Cincinnati convention had the most useful information and tools for me to use in my homeschool vs. Indy. Indy got too religious for me and very little tools that I needed. I am a religious person so if I want religion I will go to a Christian conference that talks about Bible and Christianity. That is my reason for not going to Indy but to Cincy. Cincy had the most useful tools and a wide variety of topics that is for all walks of life.

I am going back to Cincy next year. I sure hope SWB will be there again. :)

Holly

None of these are close to us at all. I am able to travel short distances but our tight budget does not allow for traveling long distances. Also, trying to cover child care at home while I would be gone. I was able to go for my first 2 day conference in Seattle and it was wonderful. There are a lot of homeschoolers in Oregon/Washington. A conference held in Portland, OR would pull from both states. There is already an annual Christian Home Educators conference held in Portland and people travel up from Southern OR for that.

We are going to Cinci this year for the first time!! (I already booked my hotel room!:D) I live closer to the one in Indianapolis, but the list of speakers is what drew me to this convention. If it turns out to be as wonderful as I think it will be, we will be going every year we can!

Hi Suzanne,

Could you please quote the poster's question when you answer? I am having a hard time matching your responses with the requests and statements.

I have been homeschooling for eighteen years, and using and updating the WTM since 1999, so it's unlikely I will drive a long way to a convention. It was wonderful to see SWB and her mom at the Dulles Convention Center in 2009, though! After buying her lectures and hearing those wonderful ladies speak last year, I feel that my homeschooling tank is full. My favorite talk is Jessie Wise's "If I Could Do it Over Again."

Thanks for asking, and continuing to serve the homeschooling public.

Blessings,

GardenMom

I would love to hear Susan and Jesse again. The N. Va. conference with them last year was fabulous!

That said, I probably would not attend one of the conventions for a couple of different reasons. One, the closest one to me is over 5 hours away and with young kids it would be too difficult. I don't like to take them with me to conventions because I can take my time to dive into and looking thoroughly at curriculum, but with this distance I would have to. Two, it's looks like it is more of a religiously centered or rather homeschooling-from-a-christian-worldview-centered convention which wouldn't match our method. So their 'daycare' area which is great and I would love otherwise wouldn't be where I'd want my kids to be either.

I wasn't able to go to the Susan and Jesse's WTM conference, but I wish I could have! I would love something like that again:D

Thank you for your continued involvement with the homeschooling community and for taking the time to ask us questions as well as answering ours.

I have gone to NCHE several times in the early years of my homeschooling. I will not attend again, because I want an actual homeschooling conferences (like the sessions SWB and JW did in Richmond), not a "come be our specific type of Christian family" conference disguised as a homeschool conference.

Amen. I am sorry that I missed Williamsburg last year, but I hope to go to Greenville next year!

Would love to hear more from Susan and Jessie on excelling with our kids. I skipped all the presentations this year because that was missing. Would love to make it to BC - but don't have childcare.

Thanks, Suzanne! It was a pleasure meeting you in 2009 (it was you, right? :D).

I love conventions. They do something to get my adrenaline pumping! Plus, I love being able to actually look at curriculum choices.

Our first year of hs, we had missed the convention in our state (NC). I searched and found the one in Atlanta (SE Homeschool Expo) and dh and I drove down to that. It worked for us, because my dh's brother lives in the area, and we were able to stay with him. I was able to hear SWB speak, which was exciting because I had just discovered and read TWTM.

The next year dh and I took 3 of our children and attended the Williamsburg Conference. It was fantastic, and filled with useful information. Later, dd and I attended the NCHE Conference in Winston-Salem. We enjoyed several of the social events, but I didn't like the extra heavy religious vibe, even though we're church-goers. I prefer the nuts and bolts type of information.

This year dd and I returned to the NCHE event simply because that's all we have. We made it a family event by dh and the younger two dc attending also. Once again, I'm just not too impressed with the speakers or their topics.

I am so excited about Greenville! Dh and I will definitely be going. We just have to decide whether or not we're taking any of the children. Dd will be 15, and she does enjoy the teen tracks and activities. On the other hand, just having some adult time is quite appealing. Either way - I'm there! I can't wait to hear Susan speak. I have a child in each stage of the trivium, so whatever the topic, it will be useful!

I'm currently at work on conferences in the west. If all goes well Susan, Jessie and Jim Weiss will be holding a small conference your way. I wish I could give you more details, but no details have been completed yet. I'm working on it!

I'm going to be all done homeschooling by next year, but I'd almost come just for story time with Jim Weiss! He was at the very first convention I went to 10 years ago, and he did a bedtime program. As the convention was in a hotel, all the kids were in the ballroom in their jammies, then went off to bed when story time was done. It was wonderful! Great memories.

And, yes. There are homeschoolers out here on the West Coast!

I'm blessed to have family living in the Cincinnati area, so I'm already planning to spend our "spring break" at that conference. And I'm not even living back in the US yet.

I have spent most of the eight years we've homeschooled living where there were no large conferences (large meaning one that couldn't fit in an apartment building party room). We've also been overseas, where we didn't have much option of browsing through program or curriculum options in person. So I'm really looking forward to putting my hands on some material, especially as we approach high school.

I do like the encouragement of being with lots of homeschoolers. But I don't need a conference speaker to tell me that I've chosen the right thing. I know that it works for us. I'm also not looking just for workshops that try to sell me something. Nor am I looking for a workshop that says, don't worry, you CAN do transcripts or algebra or science. I'm looking for specific, concrete examples of a several different transcripts or specific comparisons of different math approaches or science approaches. (I have been enjoying SWB's audios from other conferences.)

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)

I do like the encouragement of being with lots of homeschoolers. But I don't need a conference speaker to tell me that I've chosen the right thing. I know that it works for us. I'm also not looking just for workshops that try to sell me something. Nor am I looking for a workshop that says, don't worry, you CAN do transcripts or algebra or science. I'm looking for specific, concrete examples of a several different transcripts or specific comparisons of different math approaches or science approaches. (I have been enjoying SWB's audios from other conferences.)

:iagree:

I live in CA and haven't gone to a convention in a couple of years. I'd like to go to the HSC convention in Sacramento, but it didn't work out this year. In the past I've been as far as...Modesto.

I'd love to go to one of those conventions, but they are much too far away. I could go to Utah to see SWB, or Oregon, but I can't go 2/3 of the way across the country. :( Will there ever be a conference in the western half of the US?

Nor am I looking for a workshop that says, don't worry, you CAN do transcripts or algebra or science. I'm looking for specific, concrete examples of a several different transcripts or specific comparisons of different math approaches or science approaches. (I have been enjoying SWB's audios from other conferences.)

Yes. I was shocked to go to a highly recommended high school speaker's workshop and hear nothing more than a pep talk and the very basics of what is required for high school.

I also don't want to hear an advertisement for a product. I got a CD on teaching AP subjects, and the entire thing was an ad because, according to the speaker, no other program can teach AP properly and you can't do it alone. :glare: I prefer people like the VTI guy and the GeoMatters gal (I'm bad with names) who tell you exactly how to teach a subject, and then mention in the last thirty seconds that they happen to have a program if you are interested in stopping by their booth.

...that anything west of the Mississippi is nothing but wilderness, wild heathens, and uneducated farmers.....therefore, let's schedule FOUR Great Conventions all in the eastern 1/3 of the United States and NONE anywhere west of that!!!

Sorry for :rant:, but it does seem that people "west-ish" are just not on the radar. Going that far east from WA State won't happen for me.

I have gone to the WA Homeschool Convention the last three years (heard SWB & JW at two of them). I don't know whether I will go back, unless they come. I was a new hser for a while but am getting more comfortable now - not sure I'll get the same value from it.