Menu

Does a history like this exist?

mamalbh

Does a history like this exist?

* Independent, written to the student

* Christian

* Thought provoking questions instead of fact recall (Ex. Instead of "What did (inventor's name) invent?" , "How did (inventor's name) invention change things?")

* Interesting

* It'd be nice if relevant map work were included

(for grades anywhere from 2nd - 8th)

The Famous Men of..... series with the Greenleaf guide might fit your needs. We've been using the Middle Ages book (I prefer the Memoria Press text itself, better paper, color instead of b+w). But, if you want a Christian element to it then you'll want the Greenleaf Guide instead of the Memoria Press guides.:D

What about the self-paced history courses from Veritas Press? They aren't cheap, but they look great! You can do a free 30 day trial for a limited time. However, the only one currently available is OTAE. I signed up for the NTGR one, but I won't be able to access it until September 7th.

Guest aquiverfull

Trail guide to Learning. It has thought provoking questions, the book is mostly written to the student although teacher interaction is required. The student has to read some pages out of one of the readers aloud, then some in the teacher read aloud quietly. Then the teacher reads aloud and discussion is made. The books has steps for thinking at the beginning of each lesson that really have the child thinking about what he is reading.

They choose two books for each unit. Each book has accounts of the same events, pretty much, and that makes it so interesting to see how the accounts differ. One of the books usually has more details of the events. Very clever, in my opinion.

They only have the first two years ready right now, Paths of Exploration is for 3rd -5th but can be easily stretched from 2nd-6th and there is a middle school supplement (MSS) available for older children. Paths of Settlement is available for 4th-6th and can stretch in the same ways plus also has a MSS.

Check out the extensive samples at www.geomatters.com I'm not sure what you were looking for, but this is American History. This includes Science, History, Language Arts, and Art. They advertise it as everything but Math. Copywork and dictation are built right in and they have fabulous notebooking pages and mapwork.

Hope that helps.

Thanks everyone - I'll look more into the ones suggested, I haven't seen the new Veritas Press stuff yet.

Just to clarify, I don't need one resource that will work with all grades 2nd - 8th, it can be for just one of those grades, and something fairly open-and-go.