Menu

For those with hyperactive kids...I have to share!!!

Over on the special needs board there is a thread about ADD. I read thru it and started hearing about moms giveing their add kids a cup of coffee in the morning, or a caffeine pill. At first I was like "no way!" but as I read and remembered what exactly is in most ADD meds I started to wonder. So, this morning I gave my very hyperactive kids a cup of coffee.

Um, this was the best day ever!!!!! Especially for one ds who really struggles with his attention. He got all his school work and chores done...by lunch!!! He was so proud of himself!!!

Just thought I would share :)

Over on the special needs board there is a thread about ADD. I read thru it and started hearing about moms giveing their add kids a cup of coffee in the morning, or a caffeine pill. At first I was like "no way!" but as I read and remembered what exactly is in most ADD meds I started to wonder. So, this morning I gave my very hyperactive kids a cup of coffee.

Um, this was the best day ever!!!!! Especially for one ds who really struggles with his attention. He got all his school work and chores done...by lunch!!! He was so proud of himself!!!

Just thought I would share :)

cafe au lait is a breakfast regular here.

If you're out any water jo works too. :D

You can google about it. It's a pretty common way to self-medicate that ADD type people have used since before there were drugs for it.

It's not as effective as medication, because it's not as powerful as the drugs, but it can help. Just be careful not to give them tea or soda or something that has high fructose corn syrup in it. That will derail your efforts.

In fact, I took my hyper guy to an event in the evening (which was after his meds had worn off) and I gave him a cup of caffeine-filled Irish Breakfast Blend iced tea before the event, so he could control his hyper body.

This only works for someone whose ADHD would respond to stimulant types of drugs. I don't know a lot, but I think that there are different types of ADHD, and some require stimulants to control the ADHD, and some require another type of drugs.

I'm on ritalin but have found coffee will do sometimes but it's a poor substitute other times.

It's effect are much shorter lived and the dose isn't always consistent. Plus I find it's short lived and I crash - end up tired and distractable when I'm coming off it. I also get jittery and heart palpitations when I drink too much and if I'm not on meds I'm inclined to do just that to keep up energy and focus. Coffee can be good in a pinch but it can also lead some down the road of self-medicating with it and consuming much more stimulant then they would with a small dose of meds once or twice a day.

Honestly, if it's working then I'd be inclined to explore similar meds to find a smaller and more consistant means of delivering the stimulant.

It's not as effective as medication, because it's not as powerful as the drugs, but it can help.

That's relative to dose of course. I've known a couple of ADD folks who drank enourmous amounts of coffee in a day to self-medicate. I've no doubts that in the end they were consuming a much larger dose of stimulant then I would with my humble little 20 mg slow release pill.:)

I'm on ritalin but have found coffee will do sometimes but it's a poor substitute other times.

It's effect are much shorter lived and the dose isn't always consistent. Plus I find it's short lived and I crash - end up tired and distractable when I'm coming off it. I also get jittery and heart palpitations when I drink too much and if I'm not on meds I'm inclined to do just that to keep up energy and focus. Coffee can be good in a pinch but it can also lead some down the road of self-medicating with it and consuming much more stimulant then they would with a small dose of meds once or twice a day.

Honestly, if it's working then I'd be inclined to explore similar meds to find a smaller and more consistant means of delivering the stimulant.

Coffee is cheap.;) I was the one who started the most recent thread about the coffee and I went to coffee because the "experts" I paid to help diagnose my ds said he wasn't ADD. We spent a LOT of money to get diagnoses for the boys and got, well, not much in the way of help other than "Put them in school.":glare: Without a diagnosis, he gets nada and I am out of money to seek a second opinion until at least spring.

Also, what goes into your medical files becomes important at age 12 due to military medical disqualifications. They *are* giving waivers now, but they didn't in the past and there is no guarantee they will in the future when we aren't at war and the need for new soldiers isn't as great. This is important for at least one of my sons.

As for consistency - it varies from day to day. Things that are very important for my ds are things like limiting dairy and wheat, making sure he gets enough sleep (which is directly affected by the dairy at least), and following a very structured schedule/routine. The days when I haven't been as regimented as things are not as good as the days when I have.

I've been tempted to try this but my concern is that he won't like the coffee without sugar or other flavorings in it and that may counter-act the good effects of the caffeine.

Did you put milk and sugar in it?

I do, because otherwise he won't drink it. We don't have sugar issues here, but we do have dairy issues. I am going to get him some flavored non-dairy creamer if possible.

I've been tempted to try this but my concern is that he won't like the coffee without sugar or other flavorings in it and that may counter-act the good effects of the caffeine.

Did you put milk and sugar in it?

I use flavored (sweetened) coffee creamer. It doesn't counteract anything for me, but I've never been able to pinpoint any particular dietary triggers to begin with. (Unless you count my MSG-triggered migraines)

I do, because otherwise he won't drink it. We don't have sugar issues here, but we do have dairy issues. I am going to get him some flavored non-dairy creamer if possible.

Same here! I will definately try to keep you guys posted if this works regularly :) I was just shocked that it helped so much, that he noticed a difference.

There has seemed to be a bit of an afternoon crash :glare: So I'm going to make some iced tea!!! Let ya know!

Same here! I will definately try to keep you guys posted if this works regularly :) I was just shocked that it helped so much, that he noticed a difference.

There has seemed to be a bit of an afternoon crash :glare: So I'm going to make some iced tea!!! Let ya know!

I haven't had a noticeable afternoon crash here, but his energy does ramp up. I am not particularly worried about it because by 3-4pm, he is off to ride his bike, fish, catch turtles, etc.

I haven't had a noticeable afternoon crash here, but his energy does ramp up. I am not particularly worried about it because by 3-4pm, he is off to ride his bike, fish, catch turtles, etc.

I've only really noticed, because he has become over sensitive to anything one of his siblings does. I think I need to give him a bit more access throughout the day, or I will look into the caffenine pills.

Like a poster mentioned in your other thread...I'm wary of diagnoses, because he has a huge interest in the military.