Menu

Scripture memory favorites?

missiemick

We didn't buy a Bible curriculum this year (can't find one that I like) so I'm working it out on my own. I'm trying to come up with a list of scripture verses/passages for us to work through for the upcoming year. I'd like to keep it focused on the attributes of G-d as opposed to behavior modification. Anyone have favorites?

We also use the Fighter Verses and Foundation Verses from Children Desiring God. However, if you want something specific to the attributes of God, you can use the memory verses that go with their ABC's of God curriculum...here's a link to the scope and sequence of the curriculum and it includes the memory verses:

http://www.childrendesiringgod.org/documents/curriculum/scope/abc_expanded.pdf

or the verses to their "How Majestic Is your Name" curriculum:

http://www.childrendesiringgod.org/documents/curriculum/scope/name_expanded.pdf

You can buy verse cards for each curriculum in the NIV for one and the NIV or ESV for the other...

I have chosen several passages throughout the Bible that I felt gave my kids (and myself) a solid grounding in the Gospel and basic theology. (We didn't do them in this order.)

OT

Genesis - 1:1-2, 26-28, 3:14-16, 12:1-3

Exodus - 3:13-15, 15:1-2

Lev. - 26:3-13

Numbers - 6:22-27

Deut. - Ch 4 (10 commandments, a "shortened version), 6:4-9

Psalm 1, 24, 100, 118

Prov. 2:1-11,

Isaiah - passages used in Handel's Messiah in ch. 7:14, 9:2-7

NT

Matt - 5:1-30 (in sections)

Luke - the Magnificat 1:46-55, 2:1-14

Romans 8:26-39

Titus 2:1-15

It seems that I'm leaving a couple out, but at any rate, these certainly took us more than 1 year - at least 2 or 3. And there's so much more that I'm looking forward to learning :).

Edited by Susan in TN

These are some passages that have inspired and encouraged me:

Colossians 1:15-20

Ephesians 3:14-20

Philippians 2:5-11

Hebrews 12:4-13

Isaiah 43-44-8, 53 This is a very long section but I think beautifully illustrates God's passionate pursuit of his people and our repeated rejection of him, and our idolatry. But God refuses to forget his people, refuses to let us live apart from him and eventually sends his own son to die, that he might have us back. Wow!