Menu

Stomach bug going around...

We just moved into a new neighborhood a few weeks ago and have made several friends on the block. This past weekend, a really crummy stomach big started making its way through whole families, parents and all, and it still seems to be a spreading like wild fire. So far, we have been able to avoid it.

Tomorrow there is a block party and I had decided that we will not be going because I really don't want to catch this thing. I ran into a neighbor on a walk and she asked if I was going. I told her that it sounds like fun but we want to steer clear of the stomach bug because I can't afford to have us all get sick. She was very polite, but it was clear that she thought I was nuts.

Truth be told, stomach bugs totally freak me out and I try to avoid gastrointestional illness like it is the plague.

In our old neighborhood, I was honest with people about avoiding illness when a similar situation came up and all it did was create drama and gossip. I had decided that when I came here I wasn't going to ever say I was trying to avoid the illness, but just say I couldn't make it with no reason. Well, that didn't work. For whatever reason I feel like I need to give the reason for what I am doing and now, well, here I am with my neighbors thinking I am a bit crazy.

So, now I feel crummy and self conscious. I am typically not a self conscious person, but this sort of thing does it for me.

I go anyway. I figure if we don't catch it from our neighbors then I'll probably pick it up somewhere especially if it is spreading quickly. But an opportunity to spend time with people outdoors is more important to me because if it isn't one thing going around, it's another! ;)

PS: I had it a couple weeks ago. It is pretty terrible. DH got it but the kids never came down with it. I don't know who I caught it from.

I go anyway. I figure if we don't catch it from our neighbors then I'll probably pick it up somewhere especially if it is spreading quickly. .

Almost any other bug wouldn't scare me away but the stomach bug will. I hate to throw up and if I get a stomach bug I will vomit every hour for 8 - 10 hours. Ugh. Everyone else will do it maybe once or twice.

Kelly

I think the only way someone would think you are crazy is if they didn't have kids or their children are so old that they have forgotten what it is like to care and clean up for children with a stomach bug.

I'd stay home too~but then again I'm one of those people in my 40's who doesn't care what other people think of me. ;)

Edited by Sophia

They probably don't think you're crazy. Maybe you're a little sensitive because of your experiences in the old neighborhood. That said, I think you should go. The benefits you potentially gain by jumping right into the action far outweigh the possible puking and running. Besides, you could pick it up from a far more mundane activity like grocery shopping.

Barb

Almost any other bug wouldn't scare me away but the stomach bug will. I hate to throw up and if I get a stomach bug I will vomit every hour for 8 - 10 hours. Ugh. Everyone else will do it maybe once or twice.

Kelly

I get it really bad too. And if it's going around, I'm sure to get it even if I stay home. My kids will carry it in or I'll get it at the grocery store. My opinion is that it is better to go out and live life! :party:

I don't think anyone is crazy for choosing to stay home though. :grouphug: I will stay in a couple days after a flu bug. My moto becomes, "This virus is ending with this family!"

You are all so gosh darn sweet! Thank you so much. It is first nice to know that I am not the only person who has an initial reaction to want to steer clear and it is also good to hear the perspective of those who don't let the possibility of illness hold them back.

Barb F. PA in AZ--thank you for the reality check. I think I become very hypersensitive about this issue because of my previous experiences.

Nothing beats a good group of ladies to set one's mind straight and maintain a good perspective.

You guys rock!

Just wanted to chime in that I am exactly like you! Colds, I can handle, but the stomach crud? I avoid it at all costs!

My oldest has a very sensitive gag reflex and when he gets sick, it is miserable for ALL of us because he just pukes and pukes for hours on end. Even phenergan doesn't help much of the time.

I was a real vomit-phobe before having kids. They've desensitized me somewhat, but still--if I can avoid it, I do. I have an autoimmune disorder so when I get sick, I'm usually sicker than everyone else.

And by the way, according to the CDC, some gastrointestinal viruses remain contagious up to two weeks after symptoms disappear! People think they're well, but they're depositing virus particles everywhere they go--and it only takes a miniscule exposure to cause illness.

So the time to avoid others is during the illness and after. I know it's not feasible to stay in for that long, but still...I think if more people knew they were contagious after their symptoms disappear, and stayed home an extra couple of days, stomach viruses wouldn't spread as rampantly as they do.