Menu

What Am Doing Wrong???

SailorMom

OK - I don't get it.

We're doing all of the curriculum below, plus extra reading and typing, and we're getting done at noon every day (we start at 8).

I was shooting for a 6 hour day this year for 7th grade.

Should I add more in - or should I just be happy things are going very efficiently?

If I should add something - any suggestions?

OK - I don't get it.

We're doing all of the curriculum below, plus extra reading and typing, and we're getting done at noon every day (we start at 8).

Should I add more in - or should I just be happy things are going very efficiently?

Just be happy. :D

You could have your son choose a self-directed project to work on for an hour or so in the afternoons, whether that's researching a topic of interest and writing a report, designing & building something, taking up an instrument, writing and drawing a graphic novel, whatever would really engage and interest him. I didn't see art, music, or PE on your schedule, maybe you could add those in, do more fieldtrips, do afternoon tea with poetry readings, etc.

Jackie

I could send a couple toddlers and an infant your way..... that'll slow you down ;).

:iagree:

I'll add some in, too. We used to get done by 11am, before Little Miss climb-on-the-table-to-throw-all-the-pencils-and-rip-all-the-papers came along. ;)

I'll add some in, too. We used to get done by 11am, before Little Miss climb-on-the-table-to-throw-all-the-pencils-and-rip-all-the-papers came along. ;)

AAAHHH...how did my little terror get over to your house!

If my dd12 didn't have to help out with the littles so that I can work with dd7 then she could be done by about 12 or 12:30 if she started at 7. She has about 5 to 5 1\2 hours of work to do a day. Those littles kind of throw a kink in things.

Service projects to others. Groceries for an older neighbor or someone in need at church. Volunteering at a hospital reception center, or nursing home. YOu have plenty of time for character training without interruptions. Teaching to use the time that have with a purpose, because it is a gift from GOd.

I have a friend for your Little Miss. Her name is Little Miss drop-small-objects-into-the-cat-water-bowl-and-have-lots-of-fun-fishing-them-out. I think they'll get along famously.:lol:

Guest TheBugsMom
OK - I don't get it.

If he is finishing up early I would not create more "school" work for him to do. Personally I feel that sends a message of do your work efficiently and I will pile on more work. Also "punishing" him with chores to keep him busy sends a wrong message also. Of course if he is using his free time to cause you grief then maybe something along these lines might be in order but then it would be a punishment for the grief not the efficiency of his morning.

What does he do in his free time? Just sit about? Does he read books of his choosing? Play with his stuff? You could introduce him to a new hobby...try different things like woodcarving, robotics, gardening, cooking, art, musical instrument. Take a week and make note of what he does in his free time then see about filling some of it with a fun idea (but not all of it, even kids need some time to just relax and decompress).

If he is finishing up early I would not create more "school" work for him to do. Personally I feel that sends a message of do your work efficiently and I will pile on more work. Also "punishing" him with chores to keep him busy sends a wrong message also. Of course if he is using his free time to cause you grief then maybe something along these lines might be in order but then it would be a punishment for the grief not the efficiency of his morning.

What does he do in his free time? Just sit about? Does he read books of his choosing? Play with his stuff? You could introduce him to a new hobby...try different things like woodcarving, robotics, gardening, cooking, art, musical instrument. Take a week and make note of what he does in his free time then see about filling some of it with a fun idea (but not all of it, even kids need some time to just relax and decompress).

Kristy, some kids just do their work and get it done. My nephew was like that. My dd is showing some signs of being like that. For your son, maybe sailing school in the afternoon? You know, something useful!??!! :D

I have a friend for your Little Miss. Her name is Little Miss drop-small-objects-into-the-cat-water-bowl-and-have-lots-of-fun-fishing-them-out. I think they'll get along famously.:lol:

Ooo! Can open-up-the-child-proofed-cabinet-and-dump-out-all-of-our-board-games come play with your girls? He'd have so much fun with y'all! :smash:

Maybe we should spin-off and have a virtual playgroup for all the little monsters. ;)

I'll add some in, too. We used to get done by 11am, before Little Miss climb-on-the-table-to-throw-all-the-pencils-and-rip-all-the-papers came along.

:D

I have one of those.. sometimes she goes by Little Miss get-into-the-food-cupboards-and-make-a-big-mess-on-the-floor, or Little Miss loves-the-cat-a-BIT-TOO-MUCH!