Menu

Grammar question for CW Diogenes Maxim

siloam

I am using AG with Homer, which has worked fine. CW has more depth, but so far my dd has been able to follow it without a problem.

Looking at Maxim I noticed there are still lessons scheduled out of Harvey's Grammar. Now I am worried, well kinda. I know it will all work out. Can this be dropped? Is it review? Can anyone tell me what sort of grammar is covered?

If there is new grammar then I need to come up with a game plan before she finishes Homer. :D

Heather

We did not find the grammar in Maxim to be beyond our work in AG. We were in the 3rd session by the time we started Maxim. If you are earlier in the AG program you might find it to be ahead. I think you will be fine. Worst case you can buy the Harvey's book (it's less than $10) as a reference in case you hit something you haven't covered yet. We did find the terminology to be different in some cases so sometimes it took a minute to figure out what CW was asking - then as soon as we did, we realized we'd covered it.

Heather

Harvey's lessons 49-81 & lessons 126-134 are covered, but sporadically. Much of it is review, especially if you are doing Latin.

Topics covered are:

properties of nouns (gender, person, number, case)

declining nouns

parsing nouns

personal pronouns (declining & parsing)

possessive pronouns

relative pronouns

interrogative pronouns (declining & parsing all of these)

descriptive adjectives

definitive adjectives

semicolons

colons

the use of dashes

parenthesis

brackets

HTH,

DD (13) did Diogenes last year. We found most of the grammar to be a review, so except for diagramming sentences, we stopped. BTW, diagramming turned out to be a huge chore, primarily because the authors she chose (Franklin, Shakespeare) are very verbose and write very convoluted sentences! Honestly, we rarely got the diagramming right! But it was a breath of fresh air to see that when she goes throught R&S 8 this year for a final grammar review, it is super EASY! I think her grammar is very thorough, even only using it seriously through Homer.

Jeri

We did not find the grammar in Maxim to be beyond our work in AG. We were in the 3rd session by the time we started Maxim. If you are earlier in the AG program you might find it to be ahead. I think you will be fine. Worst case you can buy the Harvey's book (it's less than $10) as a reference in case you hit something you haven't covered yet. We did find the terminology to be different in some cases so sometimes it took a minute to figure out what CW was asking - then as soon as we did, we realized we'd covered it.

Heather

Heather,

That is how we have found AG to be so far too, and my dd is picking things up fine (I am the one who more often has to spend a little extra time on it). :rolleyes:

I might by Harvey's again, for me, or I might just kick back and see if I absorb more the second time around. :D

Thanks!

Heather

Harvey's lessons 49-81 & lessons 126-134 are covered, but sporadically. Much of it is review, especially if you are doing Latin.

Topics covered are:

properties of nouns (gender, person, number, case)

declining nouns

parsing nouns

personal pronouns (declining & parsing)

possessive pronouns

relative pronouns

interrogative pronouns (declining & parsing all of these)

descriptive adjectives

definitive adjectives

semicolons

colons

the use of dashes

parenthesis

brackets

HTH,

Thank you! I am printing it off for future reference. Most of this she has covered lightly or will cover in AG season 3, which she will start soon. Looks like she will be fine. :)

Heather

DD (13) did Diogenes last year. We found most of the grammar to be a review, so except for diagramming sentences, we stopped. BTW, diagramming turned out to be a huge chore, primarily because the authors she chose (Franklin, Shakespeare) are very verbose and write very convoluted sentences! Honestly, we rarely got the diagramming right! But it was a breath of fresh air to see that when she goes throught R&S 8 this year for a final grammar review, it is super EASY! I think her grammar is very thorough, even only using it seriously through Homer.

Jeri

Jeri,

Diagramming is my dd's weakest area of grammar, I have already had to allow her to reverse engineer some of the Homer B diagrams, but not all of them. She rarely gets her parsing wrong and doesn't have any conceptual problems. She just dislikes diagramming and doesn't put in as much effort as she could. I also only want her spending so much time on it, so I think she are on track for the goals the two of us set for her.

It sounds like she will do fine and I can chill a bit. :cool:

Heather