Menu

Putting together an information packet about Down syndrome....help?

I am joining a homeschool co-op and am putting together a little information packet for the parents about Down syndrome (my youngest has DS) so they can discuss it with their kids. The age range is about up to 6th grade. What kind of questions would your kids have that you would like answered? What kind of questions, as moms (and dads) would you like answered? I was thinking of gearing it more toward the older kids level and then letting the parents explain it to their younger kids in a way they could understand. TIA for the help!!!

My 5 year old is fixated on germs and diseases right now. I know she'd wonder if DS could be caught like a cold or if your dc would ever heal. As a Mom I'd appreciate knowing what appropriate wording would be to answer this.

Also, from a Mom's point of view who's never had experience with DS, what age appropriate behaviors should I expect if your child were in my group. Where should I draw the line in expectations and where should I cut some slack due to development issues. Does discipline need to be handled differently or do they get the same warnings and consequences as other children their age?

I have no experience with DS, I hope none of my questions offend.

My two youngest have severe hearing loss and wear hearing aids. Often when I send information to someone in writing, I use their "voice" to tell about themselves. It somehow seems less threatening and more friendly than if I write as the parent telling people how to treat my child (even if I am really the one writing it). I like to share the things my child can do, a little about their personality, and how they excited they are to be in the program and that they want to make new friends, then I talk about hearing loss and the things another person can do to help communicate with them. I want them to get to know my children as people first - potential friends - and then share about their hearing loss, if that makes sense.

I am very open about our hearing loss and I think it puts other people at ease when you are comfortable talking about it. Just being open to sharing the information with the other parents and students will go a long way, IMHO. What a great way to help your child feel comfortable in a new situation!

My 5 year old is fixated on germs and diseases right now. I know she'd wonder if DS could be caught like a cold or if your dc would ever heal. As a Mom I'd appreciate knowing what appropriate wording would be to answer this.

Also, from a Mom's point of view who's never had experience with DS, what age appropriate behaviors should I expect if your child were in my group. Where should I draw the line in expectations and where should I cut some slack due to development issues. Does discipline need to be handled differently or do they get the same warnings and consequences as other children their age?

:iagree: with both of these. Excellent suggestions. My dc particiapte as "typical peers" a lot, and the first thing the teachers or program leaders address is the "can't catch it" aspect.

Also, kiddos who are around 6th grade are old enough to wonder "how did this happen?" A quick, simple explanation of what is currently known about DS, including disputing myths, would be helpful.

It might also help to know where your dc is at with this. Is it something that other children can ask him about/ talk to him about or not?

Thanks! Nope, no offense :001_smile: I love hearing questions and knowing how to best answer them!

Keep the suggestions coming!!!