Menu

Please help me choose a Latin course!

Hedgehog

Ok.. you guys have great advice! :thumbup1: Now I am asking for some more!!

We've been homeschooling from the beginning, but only recently started following a classical style curriculum. My older two are in 6th grade and 4th grade, and would like to start Latin with them. We would like to use a course with plenty of grammar and Classical pronounciation (not Ecclesiastical) and preferably an Audio CD, BUT, I don't know any grammar myself and am intending to learn along with the kids. Ordering curricula from the US is not a problem as most will deliver to the UK and if they don't, I have some friends in the US who can order it for me.

Any ideas?!

We like Galore Park Latin Prep - it's classical, grammar-based and well designed for young people. You might find it useful to know the basic parts of speech before you start - noun, verb, adjective, adverb - but otherwise you should be okay with the course. You can order it direct from Galore Park, or with free shipping (and often discounted) from bookdepository.co.uk. There is also an audio CD.

Laura

We really like Latin for Children from www.classicalacademicpress.com. Both the sixth grader and the fourth grader can start in their level A together. :)

I second that one! My third grader and seventh grader did level A together last year. VERY rare to find something that they are doing completely together. There is a DVD a CD included in the mastery pack.

Lively Latin is a big hit with my DD, or we plan to move on to Galore Park's Latin material which goes through to GCSE. You can start with GP from the beginning, but we needed more hand holding than it offers.

We like Galore Park Latin Prep - it's classical, grammar-based and well designed for young people. You might find it useful to know the basic parts of speech before you start - noun, verb, adjective, adverb - but otherwise you should be okay with the course. You can order it direct from Galore Park, or with free shipping (and often discounted) from bookdepository.co.uk. There is also an audio CD.

I've had a look at the Galore Park Latin and it looks good, but there doesn't seem to be any thing after GCSE. If you want to continue Latin after that, what would you choose?

If you start with Lively Latin, how would you sync that with Galore Park?

We really like Latin for Children from http://www.classicalacademicpress.com. Both the sixth grader and the fourth grader can start in their level A together.

Is there an Audio CD that goes with LfC, not just the chants, but the words in the lessons as well? The one thing we liked about Prima Latina was that it had an Audio CD with almost all the words on. Unfortunately, otherwise it doesn't work for us.

Thanks!

Is there an Audio CD that goes with LfC, not just the chants, but the words in the lessons as well? The one thing we liked about Prima Latina was that it had an Audio CD with almost all the words on. Unfortunately, otherwise it doesn't work for us.

Thanks!

LfC has an audio cd for the chants and a DVD that has all the lessons being taught by a latin professor. We really love this program. I'm starting my second year with my eldest and moving from Songschool Latin to LfC A with my middle son.

Highly recommended program!

LfC has an audio cd for the chants and a DVD that has all the lessons being taught by a latin professor.

Is it produced in the US? If so I don't think I can use it here in UK :( as it's a different region for DVDs, although, I think we could use them once we're in Canada (~18mos time).

Is it produced in the US? If so I don't think I can use it here in UK :( as it's a different region for DVDs, although, I think we could use them once we're in Canada (~18mos time).
The chants on the CD include all the words from the lessons. :001_smile: The DVD has children doing the exact same chants, and the author presenting the lesson from the primer on a white board. The info he's talking about and demonstrating on the white board is in the primer. If you've read ahead you could do your own white board lesson. I've heard of people successfully using LFC without the DVD, but I have no experience even trying. (The DVD is my kids' favorite part.)