Menu

9th grade Literature and Geography help please.

Hi,

This is my first post on the high school board. Ack! I firmly believe that the Hive can answer anything, so here goes.....

My dd will be starting her 9th grade year shortly. (I refuse to begin before September!) For various reasons I have had to postpone purchasing curricula until September, so we will be beginning a little bit late this year. I am trying to choose a literature course for her. She absolutely hates being told what to read, so I doubt she'll actually love anything I choose. However, I do not want a program that will make her really hate reading. BTW, she does like to read, she just wants to read what she chooses. :P So, that being said, I would appreciate recommendations for a 9th grade literature program. I already have grammar instruction covered. We have used Lighting Lit for 7th and 8th. It was ok, but not a resounding success. DD is an excellent reader with outstanding comprehension skills. Her vocabulary is also quite good.

I am also considering Alpha Omega Lifepacs for World Geography. If anyone has any experience with this program, I would appreciate your feedback. Is it better with or without the DVDs? What do the DVDs actually contain? Is it even a good program?

Thank you in advance for your help.

J

I chose LLATL Gold American Lit for 9th. It is lighter than LL in my opinion, but still gets the job done. It starts with 10 short stories over 10 weeks, then progresses to 3 books: Old Man and the Sea, Red Badge of Courage, and The Pearl.

I also looked at Progeny Press. I'm told if you do 4 books in 1 year, it counts for a full credit. I do plan on using this either next year or the year after. This would be a great advantage if your dd finds a book she likes in the product list.

I'm not familiar with AOPs Geography. We are using their History/Geography program for 9th history and I am very pleased with it! By the way, I did not care at all for their American Lit program. But, their history is a major success.

She absolutely hates being told what to read, so I doubt she'll actually love anything I choose. However, I do not want a program that will make her really hate reading. BTW, she does like to read, she just wants to read what she chooses. :P

I'd hate to kill her enjoyment of reading. For 9th literature, could you just let her choose books and if you approve, get a guide for them? There are lots of individual book guides, such as Glencoe's free ones.

http://www.glencoe.com/sec/literature/litlibrary/

At times, you might have to get a "program" that covers several of her choices, in order to get good guides for the particular books, and waste the rest of that program. But maybe it would be worth it?

Julie

I second the Progeny Press or other lit guides. Have her choose at least 4 if not double that and then have her do the guides that go with the book choices. Obviously she would have to choose from the list of available guides. Doing that would definitely cover a literature credit. Also, I would get a book of short stories to read and analyze too. A BJU or Abeka type text would cover the short stories.

I'd hate to kill her enjoyment of reading. For 9th literature, could you just let her choose books and if you approve, get a guide for them? There are lots of individual book guides, such as Glencoe's free ones.

http://www.glencoe.com/sec/literature/litlibrary/

At times, you might have to get a "program" that covers several of her choices, in order to get good guides for the particular books, and waste the rest of that program. But maybe it would be worth it?

Julie

Thank you for posting those!

Hi,

This is my first post on the high school board. Ack! I firmly believe that the Hive can answer anything, so here goes.....

My dd will be starting her 9th grade year shortly. (I refuse to begin before September!) For various reasons I have had to postpone purchasing curricula until September, so we will be beginning a little bit late this year. I am trying to choose a literature course for her. She absolutely hates being told what to read, so I doubt she'll actually love anything I choose. However, I do not want a program that will make her really hate reading. BTW, she does like to read, she just wants to read what she chooses. :P So, that being said, I would appreciate recommendations for a 9th grade literature program. I already have grammar instruction covered. We have used Lighting Lit for 7th and 8th. It was ok, but not a resounding success. DD is an excellent reader with outstanding comprehension skills. Her vocabulary is also quite good.

I am also considering Alpha Omega Lifepacs for World Geography. If anyone has any experience with this program, I would appreciate your feedback. Is it better with or without the DVDs? What do the DVDs actually contain? Is it even a good program?

Thank you in advance for your help.

J

Not sure if I recommend it yet....... We are in the same boat as you- NOT starting until September 6th here! Anyways, I purchased TRISMS this year. We haven't used it yet- but your DD would be able to choose her own readings.

Thanks so much for your suggestions! I welcome more if anyone else has an opinion, especially regarding the Alpha Omega question. I've had one person IRL recommend AO. I'm not a fan of her homeschooling style so I am afraid to take her advice, if that makes any sense. :)

J

Are you opposed to linking lit to history? If not, maybe you could give her a list from WTM and let her choose--it's like snacks, when every choice is a good choice! lol

I'm with Chris as I am working with a senior who is burned out on minimal choices previously supplied to her. We've compromised. I've chosen works I think she will enjoy and she has chosen works she has always wanted to read. Just call it Literature and Composition I.:D