Menu

History help

Guest tpgabbott

Guest tpgabbott

I have a daughter going into "6th" grade and I need help with history ideas. I feel like there is an awful lot ot do (time consuming) with the WTM ideas and at the same time it doesn't seem to get into the "Why?" did that happen trivium idea. Am I crazy? I have a very late start this year and I feel lost. If anyone can share what they are doing for their 6th grader as a comparison it would be very appreciated. Thanks.

What type of history has she recently done? Do you want to begin a 4 year cycle now, or start one when she hits 9th? I think these questions would make quite a bit of difference in the answers you will receive.

I wanted my dd to cover all of history in middle school and start a 4 year cycle in 9th grade. We did MOH Vol. 1 for 6th (friends were doing it, too). I didn't want to continue because at that time the author was doing 5 books. We covered the fall of Rome over the summer with her Daddy (history teacher), documentaries, and a few books. She started BJU 7th but it wasn't chronological, so I switched her to Kingfisher, outlining in it, and some historical fiction for the rest of the year. My dh liked the Kingfisher book a lot, and he is a history teacher.

She's doing SL Core 100 this year, which is American history, because Kingfisher didn't cover American in much depth. I am looking at MFW for her high school years.

You could always use the sections of Kingfisher that cover the time period you want to study, then pull historical fiction from WTM, Ambleside, Sonlight lists, etc.

Think of the WTM ideas as history, geography, literature and writing. It's all history centered, but not all history :)

Between SOTW and Kingfisher you'll get a complete course that is inexpensive and easy to follow. It won't be super exciting, but it's doable.

What are you looking for? If you'll give some more detail, I'll bet you can get some great suggestions.

Guest tpgabbott

We used the Usborne and outlining, timeline, maps...for the ancients last year. so this year we are heading into Medieval/Early Renaissance. It probably comes down to me planning better and being more disciplined in our approach. I'm just not sure if she's taking it in. If anyone could tell me not so much what you may be using, but "how " your using it, a typical history lesson for you. I think that may be helpful.

I have a daughter going into "6th" grade and I need help with history ideas. I feel like there is an awful lot ot do (time consuming) with the WTM ideas and at the same time it doesn't seem to get into the "Why?" did that happen trivium idea. Am I crazy? I have a very late start this year and I feel lost. If anyone can share what they are doing for their 6th grader as a comparison it would be very appreciated. Thanks.

I just can't remember what my oldest did in 6th grade. We used Sonlight modified, but I can't remember what we were using that year.

In 6th my middle did ancients. He used a lot from Tanglewood year 5 and we tied our science to history as well.

HTH-

Mandy